follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 06-23-2012, 02:20 AM   #1
Moshpit37
FR-S Owner!

Drives: 2013 FR-S Ultramarine 6AT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Window tint issues... Normal?

This is the first car I've gotten windows tinted on and I can't say it's been an overly pleasant experience thus far. My first question: do most tint shops leave a little gap at the top edge of the roll-up windows and also the rear edge? Mine did and I think it looks terrible. Also they were hand cut and the edges were pretty jagged around the corner. And for the back window, on the top edge from the inside there is a lot of the glass that is not covered by the interior roof panel but is painted black on the inside so you can't see through it. The tint shop just eyed it up from the outside by what he could see from a light shining through it and there is about 2 inches of glass exposed above the tint film visible from inside the cabin. He doesn't want to redo it because he says "contaminants will get in under the edge if we go any further onto the painted glass." I think this is bullshit and I want him to re-do it so you can't see the edge of the film. Is this too much to ask or am I getting pushed around here?

I'll post pics in the morning when it's light out.

Frances - 2013 Scion FR-S in Ultramarine
Owner's Journal
Moshpit37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 02:27 AM   #2
Scik

Drives: Argento 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshpit37 View Post
This is the first car I've gotten windows tinted on and I can't say it's been an overly pleasant experience thus far. My first question: do most tint shops leave a little gap at the top edge of the roll-up windows and also the rear edge? Mine did and I think it looks terrible. Also they were hand cut and the edges were pretty jagged around the corner. And for the back window, on the top edge from the inside there is a lot of the glass that is not covered by the interior roof panel but is painted black on the inside so you can't see through it. The tint shop just eyed it up from the outside by what he could see from a light shining through it and there is about 2 inches of glass exposed above the tint film visible from inside the cabin. He doesn't want to redo it because he says "contaminants will get in under the edge if we go any further onto the painted glass." I think this is bullshit and I want him to re-do it so you can't see the edge of the film. Is this too much to ask or am I getting pushed around here?

I'll post pics in the morning when it's light out.
I've had many cars tinted and I've never had more than an 1/8" between the tint and the top of the window, never had a gap at the back edge either - lines should be clean! And my tint guy never leaves more than 2-3 tiny bubbles if any and they go away within the first week or he redoes it, not because I bitch&moan, but because he takes pride in his work!
Scik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 02:30 AM   #3
bsk

Drives: Raven FR-S
wow sounds like they did a dyi type tint job was this at a professional shop? My windows are tinted right up to the edge of the glass there might be a 1mm gap but thats it. I'd request a refund and go somewhere else. there should never be any jagged edges. The shop I used had cut everything too so there shouldn't be any excuses
bsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:04 PM   #4
Moshpit37
FR-S Owner!

Garage

Owner's Journal
Old 06-23-2012, 04:01 PM   #5
Furtive

Drives: 13' SSM BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
That's really crappy work. I would ask for a redo. I'll take pics of mine.. if you want. so you can show the place you want how you want it done.
Furtive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:16 PM   #6
speed-wiz

Drives: MR2
Yes, very sloppy, and I would complain.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:29 PM   #7
baldolera

Drives: None Yet
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Demand a refund and go somewhere else. If they redo it I bet it will turn out just the same. There are even tutorials on youtube that say, "For frameless windows there should be no more than a 1/16" gap all along, and conform to the edge of the window." Shame on that shop... looks like a DIY job that was rushed. How much did you pay? I hope it wasn't much!
baldolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:56 PM   #8
AsphaltLover

Drives: 2006 Scion TC, 2013 FR-S Asphalt
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
mine doesn't look that way at all. Get a redo.
AsphaltLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:43 PM   #9
Minovsky

Drives: Fr-s 2013 white out
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
that is horrible get refund...
Minovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:34 PM   #10
armythug

Drives: Pegasus White 86GTS
I have been told by a Toyota dealership that the 86/Brz is very difficult to tint. seems like your tint guy ran into some issues. do like other have suggested and get him to redo it or get your money back. Took a guy over at my Toyota dealership three times to get a customer's 86 right. Maybe he's bad too. lol
Old 06-23-2012, 08:04 PM   #11
Moshpit37
FR-S Owner!

Garage
I've got an appointment Tuesday to have it redone. I'm pretty pissed to tell you the truth. I even took out the rear deck panel to get the third brake light out of the way for them. But the real kicker was today I found a small (1/4") dent in my roof.... I'm going to raise hell over that. It looks like the guy may have dropped something or had something in his hand while pushing down on the roof near the driver's door. Didn't hurt the paint (thank God) but it's definitely noticeable.

Owner's Journal
Old 06-23-2012, 08:19 PM   #12
baldolera

Drives: None Yet
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshpit37 View Post
I've got an appointment Tuesday to have it redone. I'm pretty pissed to tell you the truth. I even took out the rear deck panel to get the third brake light out of the way for them. But the real kicker was today I found a small (1/4") dent in my roof.... I'm going to raise hell over that. It looks like the guy may have dropped something or had something in his hand while pushing down on the roof near the driver's door. Didn't hurt the paint (thank God) but it's definitely noticeable.
WTF?!?!?! Now that's just wrong... and if anything I BET that shop WILL say something along the lines of, "Well, I don't think it was us, and it probably wasn't. Sod off because you can't prove anything." I feel for you... this is why I like to learn and try DIY style.
baldolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:10 PM   #13
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
That sucks. I'd taken a car in to a supposedly reputable tint shop where a lot of friends had their vehicles done, only to have to take it back twice because I wasn't satisfied (stretched tint, bubbles, etc.)

I do know that the dot matrix is supposedly a pain and doesn't allow the tint to stick, but there are some shops out there that know how to do it.

But yeah, by all means, get that redone if you're not happy with it. If they can't do it to satisfaction, get a refund.
n2oinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:18 PM   #14
AzFranz
Az to Nm to Az

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I'd kick them in the effen nuts for that work. I had mine done yesterday...Sun Tek Carbon and CXP for the front windshield...entire thing covered with 70% and all other windows at 18% and not a bubble or issue in sight...including those areas where the window meets the black painted area. Not sure what you paid, but without windshield my work was 200 for perfection. I can take pics as well and I have no gaps at the top...maybe 1mm.