follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 11-09-2012, 10:57 AM   #1
jdzumwalt
Motor Sports slut

Drives: 13 FRS, 2011 f150eco boost,
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thinking about putting in seperates

I have a set of these just sitting in a box. I was thinking about diting the stock mid and tweet location for just door mounted option. I think the glass is adding a lot of harshness to the system.
jdzumwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:59 PM   #2
PatrickSAN

Drives: SWP GR 5DR
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Where in the door would you mount the tweeters?
PatrickSAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:43 AM   #3
jdzumwalt
Motor Sports slut

I was going to float the tweet in fornt of the mid. I used to be in car audio business years ago and separating your mid and tweeter is one of the worst things you can do for good imaging.

I thing I'll work on this today. Just need to make sure I have some MDF to make good clean spacers.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:08 AM   #4
JoeBoxer

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 1,627 Times in 997 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Most setups now have the mid and tweet in the dash and midbass in the door or kick panel, with all the processing, time alignment, etc available it's not that big of deal anymore. I have run a couple different sets that were components you could mount like coaxials, the Image Dynamics XS65 were really nice and JL makes one too, i think C3-650.

Edit: I would at least try the tweet in the factory dash location before cutting a hole in the door panel.
JoeBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:57 PM   #5
Revmatch

Drives: 2013 FR-S Black
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBoxer View Post
Most setups now have the mid and tweet in the dash and midbass in the door or kick panel, with all the processing, time alignment, etc available it's not that big of deal anymore...

...I would at least try the tweet in the factory dash location before cutting a hole in the door panel.
I agree. I have a 3 way Focals in the stock positions using a Bit Ten for processing and time alignment. Imaging is fantastic and my interior has not had surgery on it.
Revmatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:19 PM   #6
JoeBoxer

Might not even need a processor with all the adjustment available on those passive crossovers.
"C5 crossover networks are compact and built with premium component parts, including MylarŪ capacitors and segmented air-core inductors. Four levels of tweeter attenuation are provided, as well as three levels of mid-range presence adjustment, for twelve possible voicing combinations!"
Old 11-12-2012, 02:18 PM   #7
DkY in Vcr

Drives: silver, 4 wheels, goes wheee...
... maybe my experience will help?

jdzumwalt,

I just installed C2-650s about a month ago, and I did notice some harshness from the stock set-up, & immediately after I installed the JLs.
Initially, I just popped the JL tweets into the stock 3.5" speaker bracket:
Name:  stock bracket.jpeg
Views: 2676
Size:  439.0 KB
After hearing the initial harshness (even with the crossover tweet jumper set as low as it would go, and the deck treble turned down -2 or 3), I came up with these things (a couple of 1.25" rubber caps, pipe strap, & rivets) I then lined the tweets with a little weatherstrip tape to snug them into my new 'ghetto-holders'. I vaguely remembering counting off 11 large holes on the pipe strap, but would go 12 or 13 if I did it again, for adjustability sake:
Name:  new mount.jpg
Views: 1111
Size:  529.7 KB
I then installed them and pointed each tweet at a spot just below the top opposite corner of the windshield:
Name:  new mount installed.jpg
Views: 1370
Size:  395.1 KB
It still seemed a hair harsh, but much better. I left the settings the way they were, and now suspect that the stock deck might be a little 'treble-biased'.
Now, after a couple of weeks, it seems to have broken-in & softened. Pretty happy, but still considering that Pioneer DEH-80PRS. ... winter tires first though!

(My apologies to all if my pics were too large or I didn't format this as well as I could have... it's my first time replying to a forum thread with pics.)
Old 11-12-2012, 02:20 PM   #8
nashsnazzy

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S White Out
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBoxer View Post
Most setups now have the mid and tweet in the dash and midbass in the door or kick panel, with all the processing, time alignment, etc available it's not that big of deal anymore. I have run a couple different sets that were components you could mount like coaxials, the Image Dynamics XS65 were really nice and JL makes one too, i think C3-650.

Edit: I would at least try the tweet in the factory dash location before cutting a hole in the door panel.
Would you reduce the amount of reflections from the windshield if you put the tweeters in the doors vs in the dash firing into the glass?
nashsnazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:32 PM   #9
JoeBoxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashsnazzy View Post
Would you reduce the amount of reflections from the windshield if you put the tweeters in the doors vs in the dash firing into the glass?
Where in the doors? I would put them like the pic above but most likely pointing a little differently. Driver side i would point at the rear most top corner of the passenger door window and passenger side pointed at the same spot in the driver window. Or point them both towards where a dome light would be.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:54 PM   #10
DkY in Vcr

Ah, good point nashnazzy.
I do recall that the JL install manual stated that the best spot to mount the tweets were literally just about 4-8" above the woofer (so, pointing at each other). That's supposed to minimize any imaging/timing issues.

I didn't want to do any cutting/modding, so I just stuffed them into the stock location.

JB, I might get back in there and twist them a little more to see if I can further reduce relections off the glass... although, like I mentioned, they certainly seemed softer after a 'break-in" period.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:45 PM   #11
nashsnazzy

I just took a look and found three options that would minimize early reflections from the windshield.

1. Above and back a bit from the woofer in the door. Draw an imaginary line between the woofer and the power window switch and put it there.
2. Just below and slightly forward of the door handle
3. Mount low on the windshield pillars and point slightly upwards and toward the center

The lazy side of me says just put tweeters in the dash locations and angle them similar to the idea presented here. That is going to be a big improvement over just slamming all of the high frequency into the windshield to be smeared all over the place but I would think it would be worth the minimal amount of effort to choose a tweeter with good off axis response and place it somewhere that doesn't face the windshield.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:09 PM   #12
jdzumwalt
Motor Sports slut

I think I will mount these in the door(behind the door panel). After I've completed the install I will take some pictures for you guys to see.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:28 PM   #13
nashsnazzy

I would really like to mount my JBL tweeters above the door speakers but I'll be honest, I'm terrified of cutting the 1.5" hole and the tweeter not sitting flush in the door due to the curve of the surface. Any thoughts?
Old 11-26-2012, 01:30 PM   #14
DkY in Vcr

nashnazzy,

I really don't get that 'slammed/smeared' feeling much these days. I really didn't want to modify the door cards so I'm happy with choosing to mount them angled in the 3.5" speakers location(s) in the dash.

I still suspect that the stock deck signal is a little 'treble/highs biased', so I'm on the hunt for an aftermarket deck with a good built-in EQ. I was thinking the Pioneer DEH-80PRS, but the lure of a double-din with a back-up camera is almost too sexy for me to resist.