follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-06-2012, 09:25 PM   #1
Rejor11

Drives: Mini Cooper
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My test drive experience

On Monday I had test drove a black FR-S.

FIrst thing I noticed was the weird clutch. It felt very light. I'm used to a stiffer pedal feel, but I soon got used to it enough to have a proper test drive. Shifting felt pretty good.

First I was impressed by its speed. Granted, this may be due to the fact that I'm currently driving an old Mini Cooper (lol) but still. I have also driven a WRX, a Beemer z3 and z4, a new mini cooper S, a porsche, benz, and an audi.

While many of those cars were faster in some ways, I felt like i had the most fun in the FR-S. During the test drive, after the boring highway route to test its speed and acceleration, I took the car (and the salesman) over to a very curvy route that i know of.

I was very impressed with its handling. I noticed very little body roll. The car quickly responded to my pedal inputs. I had to keep the revs under 4k, so i couldn't test her under high rpms, but wow what a ride.

I can honestly say that I had the most fun driving this car. I haven't bought a new car since none have really "spoken" to me. The last time I had a car do that was my old AE86 and FD. I had test driven so many cars over the past couple of months, including a 350 and 370z and hyundai gen coupe, all of which fall in the price range.

Even though the car feels fast, I know it won't be most sports cars out there today, although its lighter weight certainly helps. I think that it's gonna be a great autocross car though, even drifting. It has very superb handling, which will help out in twisty courses. Throw in a turbo someday with a light tune that won't greatly upset the car's balance and she'll become even more competitive.

Can't wait to get my red one next week!
Rejor11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:42 PM   #2
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
nice review tho your list of cars is more so listing the brand which doesn't mean anything really since say a A4 2.0t drives and is much different from a RS4 but we get the general picture

welcome to the forums
Old 06-06-2012, 09:51 PM   #3
csaba

Drives: scion tc
do you mind me to ask how old are you? the OP.

i cant decide white or red to get myself.
csaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:00 PM   #4
Rejor11

I'm 29. Turning 30 in August woo.

And to compare... I test drove two different benz SLR's, an audi tt and A5, BMW z3, z4, 335i, porsche boxer... all of them used since brand new is waaay outta my league lol. I didn't bother with domestic models since I never liked camaros and mustangs.

I had the most fun in the fr-s. The good looks help too. I was somewhat impressed by the new 2013 genesis coupe's speed, but.... it felt heavy and there were sooooooooo many buttons. And its hood just screams tacky.

As for the FR'S's interior, I thought it was nice. The cloth is different from most cars that come with cloth seats, not sure what the material is actually. The red inserts were a little bold for my taste, but once I sat in them, well you don't really notice what's right behind your head anyways. I really like the red stitching, although I wish the stitching was also on the handbrake. The steering wheel felt firm and solid, and provided a nice grip as well.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:03 PM   #5
Rejor11

Another thing that REALLY surprised me during the highway run was the lack of noise. The exhaust note was throaty and deep, but not overbearing at all; in fact I could carry a normal conversation. Furthermore, there was very little to no wind noise. There was some road noise, but coming from my old Mini cooper, it's much quieter.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:06 PM   #6
mines13

Drives: '13 FR-S '12 CBR1000RR
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mines13 Send a message via Yahoo to mines13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejor11 View Post
Another thing that REALLY surprised me during the highway run was the lack of noise. The exhaust note was throaty and deep, but not overbearing at all; in fact I could carry a normal conversation. Furthermore, there was very little to no wind noise. There was some road noise, but coming from my old Mini cooper, it's much quieter.
Yeah, a big factory in why I hit 90 without thinking about it on my Freeway drive...
mines13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:41 AM   #7
kyolml

Drives: STI 2008, M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejor11 View Post
I'm 29. Turning 30 in August woo.

And to compare... I test drove two different benz SLR's,
Where the hell did you find 2 SLR to test drive? billionaires? Non of the dealers will have two...

SLKs?
kyolml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:18 AM   #8
Rejor11

Sorry, SLKs. Wasn't impressed by them lol