follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 12-27-2012, 05:26 AM   #1
sc0urge

Drives: 2013 BRZ CBS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
BRZ Pre-delivery Checklist?

I will be taking delivery of my BRZ within the next month and was wondering if there is anything I should look out for before everything is finalized with the dealer. I've looked over the FRS thread regarding this topic (http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=593272), but was curious to see whether there is anything worth noting specific to the BRZ? In the aforementioned thread, members mentioned:

Making sure the dealer doesn't drill holes for the front plates
Forgoing the dealer wash/detail
Going through switches/lights to make sure they all work (horn included)
Checking fluid levels
Requesting that no decals/stickers be applied to the vehicle
Checking light condensation
Checking radio settings (FRS-specific: I guess some FRS's were tuned to tC settings instead of FRS settings)
Test driving

Update:
Checking navigation update
(http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20659)
Checking that underbody grommets have been installed during pre-delivery inspection
(http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=42)
Checking that grommet in trunk covering strut has been installed
(http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=84)
**unclear whether or not this is standard**

Anything missing from the list? Anything worth emphasizing?

I was wondering if, like the radio settings for the FRS, the BRZ had any specific-to-Subaru issues to be checked before taking delivery? For instance, I guess the BRZ has a navigation update-- any way to double check whether or not my car has that installed already or not?

The other thread mentions that when dealers wash and 'detail' your car, they tend to do more damage than good, usually leaving small scratches and swirls in the paint. Despite the seemingly unanimous support for this notion, I'm still a little unconvinced. What do you guys think of this? I nearly took delivery of another BRZ earlier this month (test drove it and everything) and without the wash, I was a little unsure of the car's condition (it was pretty dirty from just getting off the truck bed). After the PDI/wash/detail, I simply found it easier to inspect the car for the above mentioned items as well as for any structural damage, misalignment, misfitting, etc. But ultimately, if a dealer detail is as detrimental as our members make it out to be, I'd rather just skip the wash. Thoughts?

Any other tips/comments/concerns regarding taking delivery would also be appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT:
added underbody grommet issue, @roflcopter thanks
added navigation fix, @kludger thanks
added trunk grommet for strut issue via http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...t=11523&page=4 (page 4 of roflcopter's link)

Last edited by sc0urge; 12-30-2012 at 01:22 AM. Reason: adding to list
sc0urge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sc0urge For This Useful Post:
CircuitJerk (12-27-2012), Sportsguy83 (12-27-2012)
Old 12-27-2012, 05:57 AM   #2
Dorb

Drives: 16 LM STI/13 LM BRZ/04 AVALANCHE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Wow. Good luck.
Dorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
kludger

Drives: '13 Boxter S, '13 BRZ(gone)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc0urge View Post
I was wondering if, like the radio settings for the FRS, the BRZ had any specific-to-Subaru issues to be checked before taking delivery? For instance, I guess the BRZ has a navigation update-- any way to double check whether or not my car has that installed already or not?
For the Nav TSB you will be able to tell if you need it by the VIN, if it is newer than the following VIN numbers you are ok:

Revised GPS Antenna / Mounting Bracket Assembly
D*603651

Software Change
D*603932

Details:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20659
kludger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:56 AM   #4
roflcopter
Gold Member

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
The only thing I would add to that list is to check and make sure the plugs are installed in the underbody. There are rubber plugs where they tied the car down during transport, stored in the glovebox, and left uninstalled you can get smells or worse, water leaking into the passenger compartment (and metalwork).
Thread http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11523

As for the detailing you can do whatever you like, and I'm positive it all depends on the dealership and detailing team, but I worked previously as a technician at a VW dealer, and I can safely say I would not want one of their dirty pads on an old random orbital sailing over my virgin paint. Not to mention they use acid based wheel cleaners (basically paint thinner) to get rid of the brake dust which is THE WORST THING YOU CAN DO to clearcoated wheels. Again this is just my experience with ONE garage detailing VW's in a galaxy far, far away. But I still avoid dealer washes like the plague.
roflcopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:30 AM   #5
sc0urge

@Dorb Thanks!

Also huge thanks to kludger and roflcopter! That was exactly what I was looking for. I remember a mention of the grommets somewhere in the fora but couldn't find the thread supporting it (there was a slight mention of that in the FRS checklist though). It's been a pretty busy week for me so I haven't gotten a chance to thoroughly go through the two mentioned threads, but once I do, I intend to update the original post to encompass the grommets and VIN/Nav in the checklist.

Thanks again for the additions!
Old 12-30-2012, 04:44 AM   #6
sc0urge

I've read through both threads from roflcopter and kuldger. As far as the navigation TSB is concerned, kludger gave the gist of it. If your vehicle has a VIN later than D*603651, your vehicle should include the updated bracket assembly. Likewise for the software update with vehicles past D*603932. It seems like, if your vehicle is older than that, you can take your car to a dealer and they'll replace the SD card and/or bracket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kludger View Post
For the Nav TSB you will be able to tell if you need it by the VIN, if it is newer than the following VIN numbers you are ok:

Revised GPS Antenna / Mounting Bracket Assembly
D*603651

Software Change
D*603932

Details:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20659
The underbody plugs issue seems a little more unclear:
The thread seems to have come to a consensus that the underbody plugs, or grommets, should have been installed during the PDI, but it appears that many vehicles have been missing this. If they're not installed, they should've came in the glovebox. If that isn't the case, contact your dealer. The missing plugs may or may not cause water/moisture to get into the car, but I think it's safe to say it's probably better to have them in. **If any of you were curious, the reason these grommets are not pre-installed from the factory is because the underbody holes are used for delivery.**

Another potential cause for moisture getting into the car is the lack of a plug over the strut opening in the trunk. It seems most members are missing said plug. Unlike the underbody grommet, however, the strut cap isn't mentioned in the PDI. In any case, I imagine it's still more beneficial to have it than to not have it.

I feel like I may have forgotten to mention something. I'll edit/add to the post whence I remember.