follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 01-25-2019, 02:41 PM   #29
redlined600

Drives: Fr-s
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mitz View Post
Has anyone towed with a 14' open trailer?

Due to weight and storage space consideration, I'm looking at an aluminum 172" length. It's seems like it will be large enough, but leaves no space for weight distribution adjustment. I'm still considering because the popular Trailer are only 12'9" and I've seen larger cars on them.

Thanks!
Uhaul trailers are about that length, which I have used numerous times. The frs is roughly 14' long so factor that. It's really going to depend on where the axles are setup on the trailer. Uhaul trailer are stable because they have long tongues and the axles are placed rearward so it carries a high percentage of the weight on the tongue(way too much imo). I was in a similar situation and ended up buying a 16’, partly because it’s hard to find a 14’ “car” trailer and partly due to resale.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:20 PM   #30
Totemo_Hayai

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mitz View Post
Has anyone towed with a 14' open trailer?

Due to weight and storage space consideration, I'm looking at an aluminum 172" length. It's seems like it will be large enough, but leaves no space for weight distribution adjustment. I'm still considering because the popular Trailex are only 12'9" and I've seen larger cars on them.

Thanks!

Under 14', yes. It works fine, though we haven't measured tongue weight. You'll be way better off on weight distribution towing the FRS versus our Integras. It is nice to be able to park the car and trailer in regular size garages and other tight places.

Name:  Racecars on Ferry.JPG
Views: 581
Size:  241.5 KB
Totemo_Hayai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 08:37 AM   #31
Yardjass

Drives: '14 Monogram, '95 Miata, '90 300ZX
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm now looking and will be getting an enclosed one in the next few months. My research is saying Haulmark is a pretty good happy medium between getting something that is actually halfway decent and not spending a ton of money on something like a Featherlite. Everyone is telling me get no smaller than a 24' enclosed. You're going to want to put extra stuff in it so you will want the extra room.
Yardjass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 12:49 AM   #32
Totemo_Hayai

Drives: 2013 FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardjass View Post
I'm now looking and will be getting an enclosed one in the next few months. My research is saying Haulmark is a pretty good happy medium between getting something that is actually halfway decent and not spending a ton of money on something like a Featherlite. Everyone is telling me get no smaller than a 24' enclosed. You're going to want to put extra stuff in it so you will want the extra room.

Check out Mission Trailers or Alcom Stealth. I was looking at these for the 2018 season but it didn't work out financially. My current trailer is a 2001 Haulmark 16' (also pictured above). The torsion axles ride really nice so I'd recommend that option on whatever trailer you get.

I can fit everything I need in the 16' trailer. It is smaller than I would like but I have no desire for a 24' trailer. I'd much rather have a well optioned 18' or 20' with a V-nose and nice cabinets. Even with a short trailer and short tow vehicle there are many places that are difficult to drive to including many gas stations.
Totemo_Hayai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Totemo_Hayai For This Useful Post:
eastendraceshop (01-28-2019)
Old 01-28-2019, 07:01 PM   #33
Yardjass

Drives: '14 Monogram, '95 Miata, '90 300ZX
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totemo_Hayai View Post
Check out Mission Trailers or Alcom Stealth. I was looking at these for the 2018 season but it didn't work out financially. My current trailer is a 2001 Haulmark 16' (also pictured above). The torsion axles ride really nice so I'd recommend that option on whatever trailer you get.

I can fit everything I need in the 16' trailer. It is smaller than I would like but I have no desire for a 24' trailer. I'd much rather have a well optioned 18' or 20' with a V-nose and nice cabinets. Even with a short trailer and short tow vehicle there are many places that are difficult to drive to including many gas stations.

Thanks for the insight. I was originally looking at 20 footers and people kept saying to go bigger.
Yardjass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 05:11 PM   #34
maxspeed

Drives: frs
Just picked up an open car trailer. It is a 20’ with a 32” dove tail. Trailer came with 4’ steel ramps and wooden extensions are needed. What length ramps is everyone using? Looking at getting some of the aluminum ramps 7’ or 8’.
maxspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 08:51 PM   #35
justinco
btr.life

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,094 Times in 491 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardjass View Post
Thanks for the insight. I was originally looking at 20 footers and people kept saying to go bigger.
I have a 22ft enclosed v-nose and it is plenty big enough to fit my car, my kids kart, and other crap, plus it has shelves.