follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 06-29-2012, 07:36 PM   #99
Quentin

Drives: ‘16 4Runner, ‘19 Corolla HB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceywilly View Post
yeah it seems like the most likely cause is the cam being off by a tooth.
Unlikely. It couldn't make it out of the factory that way. It is likely an issue with the VVT control (metal chip in the OCV, for example).
Quentin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:42 PM   #100
barney

Drives: 91 mx5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Unlikely. It couldn't make it out of the factory that way. It is likely an issue with the VVT control (metal chip in the OCV, for example).
I would suspect one of two faults - either the oil control valve is stuck on or the actuator on the end of the intake cam is not returning to the rest position at idle. The result would be way too much overlap at idle-hence the poor idle quality. I've seen this with Hondas. We had a bunch of bad VTC actuators which would not move freely on the end of the cam. The only other thing that could set that code is a stretched timing chain - highly unlikely.
barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:14 PM   #101
Hanzo

Drives: Waiting for the ND Miata
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Nope still chirps but much less than before. Still have the single chirp during driving condition.
Hanzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:19 PM   #102
xcelir8brz

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The chirp started today for me at 1900 miles in my 6AT BRZ. Geez!
xcelir8brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:16 PM   #103
danthedirt
Hadouken

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Update: (7-2-12) Service Rep just called me to give me an update. Reaffirmed that Toyota Rep is onsite overseeing everything. Good to know that corporate is so hands on with these early issues. They are basically replacing everything that relates to the error code. So that includes new cam gears, sensors, valves, solenoids, and new ECU. If everything goes as expected my car will be ready by tomorrow afternoon. Toyota is going to keep all the parts and inspect them all to see if they can determine the issue, which isn't so reaffirming.

Basically it sounds like they still haven't found out what is causing the issue, and are going to replace everything in hopes that the issue will be resolved. Hopefully my old parts can provide some insight as too what the problem is, and they can find a quicker solution for all the other folks that seem to have the same issue....

I love being a beta tester for a 25k purchase!!! /sarcasm
My friends all did try to warn me though...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danthedirt For This Useful Post:
HotLeopardMama (07-02-2012), Linseal (07-02-2012)
Old 07-02-2012, 11:38 PM   #104
MrFRsLa

Drives: 2012 Camry SE, 95 Honda Civic
Garage
Damn sounds like the cams....
MrFRsLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:57 PM   #105
Vracer111

Drives: '13 Nissan Frontier (4.0L 6spd 2WD)
Thanked 1,245 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Just another data point. I had the check engine light come on while doing my track day a few weeks ago. Friend had an OBD2 scanner and read a P0019 code. The engine was running a little rough and making a little more noise at idle than normal. He cleared the code and engine went back to normal. Proceeded to do 2 more sessions on track with zero issues, engine check light has not reappeared either some 300+ miles later. If engine check light comes back on and the symptoms reappear I will probably get it looked at, but I just attribute it to a glitch from running it hard on track for now... P0019 can mean different things, and a temporary condition could set it off.
Vracer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:58 AM   #106
Buggy51

Drives: Put Put
@Moto-P, any info from your end?
Buggy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:52 AM   #107
brieweb

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by barney View Post
Typically in Toyota products when there is a cel some or all of the sub-sytems may shut down, depending on the fault - ie abs, vsa, tcs, 4wd etc. Its beginning to look like there are issues with variable valve timing related components on the early production run of these engines. The fix seems simple enough - but do NOT ignore cel's. On a Honda, for instance you could end up with a CKP/CMP out of phase code - the precursor to a timing chain jumping and resulting in bent valves!
Is FR-S engine an interference type and does it have a belt or a chain?
brieweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:22 AM   #108
JohnnyP

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion Fr-S
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_3d_man View Post
Dealerships are always so quick to say that the ECU must be defective. I've NEVER seen a car with a bad ECU. They don't just fail but I know so many people who in the process of trying to diagnose a problem have had the dealership replace the ECU. It's just the answer that dumb service techs like to give.
As a Toyota tech, I can tell you they DO just fail. In fact, one of Toyota's last "joint ventures" with Chevrolet resulted in an ECU Recall for the mid 2000 generation Corolla's and Matrix's. These car's had Delphi ECU's which failed regularly, hence the recall.

I think that a possible concern in this case is that the ECU in the Fr-S is so advanced that it may have "learned" some aspects/features/functionality of an engine that isn't running 100%. I think most of us know that ECU's learn how an engine is running and make adjustments accordingly. The ECU may or may not be bad, but by replacing it they also have an ECU to inspect for a possible problem AND they can give the OP some level of assurance by replacing items that offer even a small chance of causing the problem.

Is Toyota "shot gunning" this case by replacing all components possibly related, sure they are. If it was your car would you want to return 5 different times to replace each one individually, I doubt it. If they can find the problem from the parts removed, and the OP doesn't need to pay for any of the parts/labor than I don't see a problem here.

I assure you that at this point Toyota is making the calls for this repair, not the techs at the shop. Toyota is deciding what they want to replace, the shop just pics the tech to work on it. And if it's any consolation, I would say they probably have one of their best guys on it.
JohnnyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:23 AM   #109
JohnnyP

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion Fr-S
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brieweb View Post
Is FR-S engine an interference type and does it have a belt or a chain?
Timing is chain driven, but I don't know if it;s interference or not.
JohnnyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:31 AM   #110
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by danthedirt View Post
Update: (7-2-12) Service Rep just called me to give me an update. Reaffirmed that Toyota Rep is onsite overseeing everything. Good to know that corporate is so hands on with these early issues. They are basically replacing everything that relates to the error code. So that includes new cam gears, sensors, valves, solenoids, and new ECU. If everything goes as expected my car will be ready by tomorrow afternoon. Toyota is going to keep all the parts and inspect them all to see if they can determine the issue, which isn't so reaffirming.

Basically it sounds like they still haven't found out what is causing the issue, and are going to replace everything in hopes that the issue will be resolved. Hopefully my old parts can provide some insight as too what the problem is, and they can find a quicker solution for all the other folks that seem to have the same issue....

I love being a beta tester for a 25k purchase!!! /sarcasm
My friends all did try to warn me though...
While this sucks at least Toyota is being very responsive. As a previous VW owner I can tell you I did not get this level of service when I was a beta-tester, I mean owner, of a 1999 VW Jetta VR6 the first year those were released.. My car would sit for weeks with no update and I got nothing but attitude and arrogance from multiple dealers and VW Corporate was useless. Nice, but useless...
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:03 PM   #111
Chewie4299
Spaceman

Drives: 2013 Firestorm Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyP View Post
As a Toyota tech, I can tell you they DO just fail. In fact, one of Toyota's last "joint ventures" with Chevrolet resulted in an ECU Recall for the mid 2000 generation Corolla's and Matrix's. These car's had Delphi ECU's which failed regularly, hence the recall.

I think that a possible concern in this case is that the ECU in the Fr-S is so advanced that it may have "learned" some aspects/features/functionality of an engine that isn't running 100%. I think most of us know that ECU's learn how an engine is running and make adjustments accordingly. The ECU may or may not be bad, but by replacing it they also have an ECU to inspect for a possible problem AND they can give the OP some level of assurance by replacing items that offer even a small chance of causing the problem.

Is Toyota "shot gunning" this case by replacing all components possibly related, sure they are. If it was your car would you want to return 5 different times to replace each one individually, I doubt it. If they can find the problem from the parts removed, and the OP doesn't need to pay for any of the parts/labor than I don't see a problem here.

I assure you that at this point Toyota is making the calls for this repair, not the techs at the shop. Toyota is deciding what they want to replace, the shop just pics the tech to work on it. And if it's any consolation, I would say they probably have one of their best guys on it.

I can attest to this. My family owns a 2005 Corolla S. Last year it started acting very strangely and shifting harshly with a CEL. I had the code pulled at Autozone and researched the issue and everyone pointed to the ECU. I was pissed because the car was way out of warranty and a new ECU was going to cost a fortune.

A couple days later while still chewing on this information we get a letter in the mail from Toyota saying there's been a recall and to bring the car in to have the ECU replaced.

The next day the car was driving better than it had in a long time.

Toyota. They'll do right by us all and I'm sure of it. They just need time to determine what the issues are, whether they affect us all, what the minor quirks are, and distribute fixes to them all.
Chewie4299 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chewie4299 For This Useful Post:
JohnnyP (07-03-2012)
Old 07-05-2012, 08:57 PM   #112
brieweb

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie4299 View Post
I can attest to this. My family owns a 2005 Corolla S. Last year it started acting very strangely and shifting harshly with a CEL. I had the code pulled at Autozone and researched the issue and everyone pointed to the ECU. I was pissed because the car was way out of warranty and a new ECU was going to cost a fortune.
I got a 2001 ECU from Specialized Parts Planet for the 8400 lift mod to my 2002 Celica GT-S for $200. I don't think you will find too many FR-S parts though.
brieweb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brieweb For This Useful Post:
HotLeopardMama (07-05-2012)