follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 01-14-2013, 12:56 PM   #15
onefitz

Drives: 13 GBS BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I really can't see wheel hop during braking. The ABS in newer cars can feel like wheel hop because it pumps the brakes so rapidly and that seems a lot more likely under sudden braking than wheel hop. Just my .02.
onefitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:03 PM   #16
SkitterSkotter

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S (Hot Lava)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpo View Post
Someone on here mangled the lower bumper and ended up filling/sanding/priming/painting it all on their own. It turned out nice from the pics they posted. If you're set on replacing the bumper, what would it hurt to try that first?
cost less than $50, too.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:07 PM   #17
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me View Post
ABS doesn't light anything on the dash. At least I haven't seen anything on this car or the IS350. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I haven't seen an ABS light, but I know the last time I engaged ABS I saw the slip light go off. There was a break in the surface that set it off as I was braking, I think.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:03 PM   #18
Bonburner
6/22/12-2/6/24

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S M/T Argento
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Perhaps it was the road but I'm pretty sure it was the wheels hopping by how the car felt and the noise of the tires was coming in weird intervals ..
I braked and it made the smooth rubber screech then the car started to 'bob' when I hit the brakes harder seeing the driver in front of me come to a full stop and the screeching came in the same intervals as the 'bobbing'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
The braking distances in this car are about average for sporty cars in its category:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...n/viewall.html

I wonder if something was on the road surface that caused your wheel to hop. Shouldn't be getting outbraked by trucks, even on crappy Primacy's.
I'm not saying that the truck Out braked me - I'm sure the driver just hit his brakes harder initially than I did as I braked harder later than he did (but not by much imo).
Old 01-14-2013, 02:06 PM   #19
CaptainSlow

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I'm going to retract this statement...originally said wheel hop is an acceleration-only thing, but after some quick research I see that it does happen under braking in some random circumstances. I really do think that you would have to lock up the tires for this to happen, though, which wouldn't happen in an ABS car (unless something else was broken or you were going WAY too fast)

In any case, sucks about the accident and good luck with the repairs.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:08 PM   #20
Bonburner
6/22/12-2/6/24

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSlow View Post
Your wheels were not hopping...that does not make any sense. Most likely ABS kicking in.
It felt like hopping forward - too much pressure on the tires that they were not able to hold onto the road.
Try applying a lot of pressure of your thumb on the table straight down and then push forward harder and harder until your thumb slides.
That's essentially what happened.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:10 PM   #21
Rayme
The Answer

Drives: Mazda 2
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
ABS doesn't trigger any lights.

The noise you hear was in fact the tire constantly breaking traction, you braked as much as the tire and abs computer could.. usually the noise or wheel hop gets louder as you approach a complete stop.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5KHccP71VM&feature=endscreen"]ABS wet road TEST!!!!!! Acura Integra antilock brake system check - 3 runs - YouTube[/ame]

Would better tires have helped you? Certainly! But they will all "wheel hop" and break traction under braking, brakes will always overpower whatever traction a tire can provide in a street situation.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:15 PM   #22
MrFRsLa

Drives: 2012 Camry SE, 95 Honda Civic
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonburner View Post
And the front bumper got scratched on this truck in front of me in LA traffic -.-
Now I got cracked lines in my bumper's paint because the bumper got bent.
It was bent but now back into shape .. but the paint is ruined
also the little nook for the light's housing has an inch long tear.
Need to find a new silver FR-S bumper in a junk yard somehow .. :/
lol

edit: realized what I typed was a bit ridiculous, just woke up and typed it up without rereading what I said haha
Man LA traffic is no fun! What neighborhood were you in?
MrFRsLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:19 PM   #23
Bonburner
6/22/12-2/6/24

Garage
I understand that All tires can handle only so much brakes yet I am still disgusted by how little these tires can hold .. I knew they slid out easily but I didn't think a straight forward braking would be this poor.
I had enough room for any other vehicles that I drive to brake safely and I have done brakes from faster speeds in other vehicles like in SUVs/Minivans
Old 01-14-2013, 02:28 PM   #24
Bonburner
6/22/12-2/6/24

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFRsLa View Post
Man LA traffic is no fun! What neighborhood were you in?
Sorry I don't remember, all I remember was that it was between the 101 S and 110 I think.
I was too distraught afterwards and baffled by these tires to think straight
Old 01-14-2013, 02:39 PM   #25
russv
First 86

Drives: Scion FRS Argento Automatic
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkAsphalt View Post
Why can't people write clear and concise posts...
Welcome to the U.S. educational product!

Life is short...NO BORING CARS
russv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:01 PM   #26
Gixxersixxerman

Drives: Toyota GT86, 66 beetle, 11 GSXR 750
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
I'm not knocking you, not at all.. Being that I've drove in all sorts of environments in this car, even at the track, these tires are just fine, the way your making it sound is that, these tires suck so bad that every FRS, BRZ, and Prius that has them shoud be rear ending trucks and SUV because they stop better.. In terms of sports car handling, these tires are not all that great, in terms of day to day driving, these tires are more then capable.. I have no issues really, braking from 95 to about 30 I hear the tires howling, and maybe a couple times get the ABS activated, but they seem for then ok on a beginner track pace, then I'm sure they are more then fine on LA traffic highways..

Again I'm not knocking you, I think your just pointing a finger to the tires more then driver error in this case. I didn't see you drive, have no idea what happened, but I've been in LA traffic and people treat it like a drag race... Exactly what you said.. 0-40 mph, just to slam on their brakes to get back to 0 again
Gixxersixxerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:10 PM   #27
Bonburner
6/22/12-2/6/24

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxersixxerman View Post
I'm not knocking you, not at all.. Being that I've drove in all sorts of environments in this car, even at the track, these tires are just fine, the way your making it sound is that, these tires suck so bad that every FRS, BRZ, and Prius that has them shoud be rear ending trucks and SUV because they stop better.. In terms of sports car handling, these tires are not all that great, in terms of day to day driving, these tires are more then capable.. I have no issues really, braking from 95 to about 30 I hear the tires howling, and maybe a couple times get the ABS activated, but they seem for then ok on a beginner track pace, then I'm sure they are more then fine on LA traffic highways..

Again I'm not knocking you, I think your just pointing a finger to the tires more then driver error in this case. I didn't see you drive, have no idea what happened, but I've been in LA traffic and people treat it like a drag race... Exactly what you said.. 0-40 mph, just to slam on their brakes to get back to 0 again
It wasn't that bad of traffic with constant 0 mph, most of the time was cruising 40-9 mph, up until that point where the truck came to a stop.
It was mostly me not braking hard enough from when I first saw his brake lights - I had plenty of space.
I'm mostly upset by how these tires handled hard braking/ABS intervals are so big.

I had a smooth stopping screech and then three screeched intervals where the tires provided no grip when I hit the brakes harder.
I hit him doing approximately 4-8 mph.

Yes I could have been more aware and driving more cautiously (but that's always the case) but then again I could have had stickier tires. :/
Old 01-14-2013, 09:31 PM   #28
Ocala FR-S

Drives: 2013 FR-S AT Argento
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The Michelin Primacy are the weak link of this car for every purpose but drifting and higher mileage. My next set will be stickier and I may not be able to wait until these wear out. These tires call upon the ABS to easily when the car should just be stopping. It's just not cool.
Ocala FR-S is offline   Reply With Quote