follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 06-05-2017, 02:59 AM   #15
allowe

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
The brakes in our cars are actually overpowered for what we need. If you're not sold on how they feel, look into a master cylinder brace (I like GrimmSpeed), stainless brake lines, and better pads and fluid. The only area our brakes don't do well in is heat dissipation during track usage. For that there are Porsche GT3 brake cooling guides, actual cooling ducts (I like Velox) or better, not necessarily bigger, brake kits. The AP Racing Sprint kit is the same diameter as our rotors, but much thicker and better able to dissipate heat.

If you don't track and you've never gotten them to fade on canyon roads, just throw a master cylinder brace on and see how it feels. If you want it firmer, go for stainless lines and new pads and fluid. A word of caution: stainless lines need to be inspected every so often to make sure they aren't fraying.

The best way to improve your brakes is to get better tires. No matter how awesome your brakes are, you can only slow down as hard as you can hold onto the ground.

Does the master cylinder brace have any cons? Damn I'm researching about this now! I do need new pads too. I was looking at a set of hawk hps. Or maybe even trying out the trd ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
allowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:07 AM   #16
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by allowe View Post
Does the master cylinder brace have any cons? Damn I'm researching about this now! I do need new pads too. I was looking at a set of hawk hps. Or maybe even trying out the trd ones.
There are no cons to the master cylinder brace other than cost. When you brake, the firewall around the brake booster flexes a bit. The brace is positioned on the end of the master cylinder so there's no room to flex. I like the GrimmSpeed brace because it has a cap that rests against the master cylinder to spread the point of contact. Others are just a threaded rod.

For brake pads and fluid, talk with @CSG Mike about your expected usage and see what he recommends.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (06-05-2017), Tcoat (06-05-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 02:04 PM   #17
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,174 Times in 6,833 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
I've been experimenting with extreme stock brake system usage, and would recommend a BBK for track use.

That being said, I've *actually* warped stock replacement rotors, and have completely obliterated the outer dust boots. I've also seen caliper temps that are dangerously high (3x maximum recommended temperatures), and the only solution I've found that holds is using a $1516 set of racing pads.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Lynxis (06-05-2017), Tcoat (06-05-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 03:57 PM   #18
gramicci101
Off Topic

Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
I've been experimenting with extreme stock brake system usage, and would recommend a BBK for track use.

That being said, I've *actually* warped stock replacement rotors, and have completely obliterated the outer dust boots. I've also seen caliper temps that are dangerously high (3x maximum recommended temperatures)
...I was going to offer to take your '17 calipers and brackets off your hands when you moved up to bigger and better things, but now I don't think I want to.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:23 PM   #19
KnightRyderx2

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
It all depends on what you want to do with your car. From what it sounds like you want to keep the car agile, maybe some tail swinging every now and then, but still be planted on the back country turns.

As far as new rims go, if your budget is some Rotas Grids dont get them. They are heavy, especially with an 18" wheel. As said this will make your feel like crap. Now if you can get some RPF1s, MT03s, GTX01s or something light like that then go ahead. If you size a good light weight 18" wheel with the correct tire, that is not to wide, it will be about the same weight as stock. But more so if you get a light weight 17" you will be way under stock weight.

With that said, my suggestion is to stick with the stock wheel for now, wrap them in a good tire, and get your suspension. I just got Tein Flex Zs and they are great, sitting on stock wheels and tires too for now. Painted my wheels metallic gray and they look good.
KnightRyderx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:08 PM   #20
allowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRyderx2 View Post
It all depends on what you want to do with your car. From what it sounds like you want to keep the car agile, maybe some tail swinging every now and then, but still be planted on the back country turns.

As far as new rims go, if your budget is some Rotas Grids dont get them. They are heavy, especially with an 18" wheel. As said this will make your feel like crap. Now if you can get some RPF1s, MT03s, GTX01s or something light like that then go ahead. If you size a good light weight 18" wheel with the correct tire, that is not to wide, it will be about the same weight as stock. But more so if you get a light weight 17" you will be way under stock weight.

With that said, my suggestion is to stick with the stock wheel for now, wrap them in a good tire, and get your suspension. I just got Tein Flex Zs and they are great, sitting on stock wheels and tires too for now. Painted my wheels metallic gray and they look good.

I've heard nothing but good things about flex zs I think I'm Guna keep my stock rims and get mpss on em. Thanks for all your help guys

Old 06-08-2017, 12:54 PM   #21
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm not trying to sound cheap but wouldn't it be better if I spent that cash on a set of coilovers and just use my oem rims. Is the difference worth a grand?

Since no one else answered this, only go coilovers if you really really like playing with all the different settings to see what works best for you. Otherwise they are overcomplicated and overkill for a car not being tracked. After the tires if you really think the suspension needs to be upgraded their are literally tons of options that will make it better handling and still keep the stock shocks and springs. And after researching those if you still want to upgrade the shocks and springs there are several options that do it without the craziness of going all adjustable everything.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to why? For This Useful Post:
Gforce (06-09-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 10:30 PM   #22
Silver Cervy
*Some really cool title*

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
Since no one else answered this, only go coilovers if you really really like playing with all the different settings to see what works best for you. Otherwise they are overcomplicated and overkill for a car not being tracked. After the tires if you really think the suspension needs to be upgraded their are literally tons of options that will make it better handling and still keep the stock shocks and springs. And after researching those if you still want to upgrade the shocks and springs there are several options that do it without the craziness of going all adjustable everything.
Eh, I wouldn't go as far to say that they will make the car handle better. Stock suspension setup is extremely good, and adding any aftermarket component that has different compression rates from stock will slightly imbalance your setup. You could even argue that the Primacy HP's are perfectly fine tires for the amount of power the car has.

Quote:
I'm not trying to sound cheap but wouldn't it be better if I spent that cash on a set of coilovers and just use my oem rims. Is the difference worth a grand?
Lighter wheels is 100% worth the investment. And I didn't say you had to spend as much as a grand. I'm in the process of negotiating for a set of wheels that weigh 15.8 lbs each, and the guy is asking for $500. You can get good deals if you look for them. Coilovers are mainly for #stancenation (and I use that term loosely) purposes and you won't feel much of a difference performance-wise from stock with them. Shaving 5 pounds off each corner is something that you can actually feel while driving.
Silver Cervy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silver Cervy For This Useful Post:
Gforce (06-09-2017), why? (06-09-2017)
Old 06-09-2017, 12:04 AM   #23
artongdou

Drives: 2017 Series.Yellow
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have done lots of research lately because I want to replace my OE wheels and tires. I found light weight 18x8 wheels work the best, because you can fit in 225 grippy tires. It will still be lighter than OE at each corner. 17x7.5 with 225 is also acceptable but i don't like the look myself. So I would say 18x8 would be a good compromise between handling performance and appearance.
artongdou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 04:31 AM   #24
allowe

17 inch vs 18 inch

This just got confusing lol. I've heard people raving about how coilovers transform the car. I'm not doing no stancednation crap because I daily my car and I don't want to dodge roads because of it being too low. I don't mind stiffness. Wouldn't 17 inch lightweight be better because you can probably get them a lot lighter than 18 inches ? I don't want to ruin the agility of the car

My focus is handling

Old 06-09-2017, 06:42 AM   #25
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
artongdou: and 17x8 don't exist, right? If you need specific width for best specific width tire fitment, it has nothing to do to diameter of wheels.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:27 AM   #26
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
This just got confusing lol. I've heard people raving about how coilovers transform the car. I'm not doing no stancednation crap because I daily my car and I don't want to dodge roads because of it being too low. I don't mind stiffness. Wouldn't 17 inch lightweight be better because you can probably get them a lot lighter than 18 inches ? I don't want to ruin the agility of the car

My focus is handling

coilovers can transform the car, they can also be amazingly complicated. But the stock suspension of the car is really really good. It all just depends on what you want to do with your car. All that extra adjustability can be annoying to figure out what feels just right for you, and once you do find the perfect settings you might never change it again. There is also a ton of other suspension pieces you can add to change how the car handles.

And the smaller the wheels the better. Like that person said, 18 is only for looks. I think I might go 16x7 when I finally buy wheels, because I want the lightest I can buy.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:30 AM   #27
Bfranklyn86

Drives: GT86 Harrop S/C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Cervy View Post
Eh, I wouldn't go as far to say that they will make the car handle better. Stock suspension setup is extremely good, and adding any aftermarket component that has different compression rates from stock will slightly imbalance your setup. You could even argue that the Primacy HP's are perfectly fine tires for the amount of power the car has.

Lighter wheels is 100% worth the investment. And I didn't say you had to spend as much as a grand. I'm in the process of negotiating for a set of wheels that weigh 15.8 lbs each, and the guy is asking for $500. You can get good deals if you look for them. Coilovers are mainly for #stancenation (and I use that term loosely) purposes and you won't feel much of a difference performance-wise from stock with them. Shaving 5 pounds off each corner is something that you can actually feel while driving.
I'm starting to come round to this way of thinking about coilovers. I daily mine with light track use, and I don't think it's worth it getting them for the risk they will be too hard on the road, all the tinkering that has to happen, the potential they will rust, and the 2k needed to get a good set. I think I'd rather put up with a bit of floppyness on track and wheel arch gaps that are a bit too big.

For the OP, I'm supercharged at 240wheel and I find that stock rims with good tyres (PS4s) is enough grip. Would like to save some weight with the wheels, but not sure if it's worth the cash needed for a good set of 17s.

With the brakes - stock ones were pathetic on track so I got a front BBK
Bfranklyn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:39 AM   #28
Silver Cervy
*Some really cool title*

As usual, stuff like this all comes down to what you plan on using the car for. If the car will be used mainly for daily driving/showoff stuff then 18' wheels and coils might be worth it simply for the looks. If you want to do any fast or spirited driving and have the best setup, keep stock suspension and get lighter wheels and better tires. Or do a mix and do a little bit of both things. It's up to you.
Silver Cervy is offline   Reply With Quote