follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-29-2020, 03:54 PM   #1
Impureclient
Banned

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,282 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Does the auto trans learn?

This might be a stupid question here as I've owned the car for 5 years now. If you drive the car harder does it react and automatically hold itself in higher revs like putting it in sport mode?
I keep feeling like it does this and last night I was sure it did it since nobody is on the road and I was just having a little fun since the roads were barren.
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 04:06 PM   #2
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
my manual does what i call implied-rev matches--bump the throttle and the revs jump to where they need to be. to screw up a rev match, i have to really be trying. but try find any reference to it in the book. i have...

yes, auto's have always learned their routine a little after initial power-on.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:16 PM   #3
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
my manual does what i call implied-rev matches--bump the throttle and the revs jump to where they need to be. to screw up a rev match, i have to really be trying. but try find any reference to it in the book. i have...

yes, auto's have always learned their routine a little after initial power-on.
That's only when you're really gettin' after it. If you drive like your dad it doesn't do it. It's more like rev hang rather than matching so it works best when you're shifting quickly not lazily.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:24 PM   #4
soundman98

my car's defective it does it everywhere. driving like i stole it, or driving like i'm balancing egg!

i've played with it-- no matter if i smash the gas to hit the floor or just barely roll my foot into it, the revs end up in the same place, the only unpredictable part is where i let the clutch back out.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:42 PM   #5
NWFRS

Drives: ‘13 FRS
Thanked 1,502 Times in 634 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
I've seen nothing to indicate that my car has been learning. I drive it like a grandma apart from the occasional manual downshift. I avoid sport mode because it will redline my motor if traffic stops and I have to get on the brakes at freeway speed. So dumb.
NWFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 03:09 AM   #6
Glitchy86

Drives: Red 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impureclient View Post
This might be a stupid question here as I've owned the car for 5 years now. If you drive the car harder does it react and automatically hold itself in higher revs like putting it in sport mode?
I keep feeling like it does this and last night I was sure it did it since nobody is on the road and I was just having a little fun since the roads were barren.
Few days ago it started to do that for me after driving it hard couple of time. But I'm not sure if it's learning or not.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Glitchy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 03:31 AM   #7
guitarman

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
I pulled up next to a brz the other day that was clearly MT. (my frs is AT).

I think both my AT and myself both learned that it looks to be waaaaayyyy more fun to pop the clutch and chirp the tires on a proper launch from a red light then it is to mash the gas pedal in my AT and slooooowly get up to speed....

;-)
guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to guitarman For This Useful Post:
new2subaru (03-30-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 08:22 AM   #8
accwai
初級成員

Drives: 2017 86, 2010 Corolla
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
That's only when you're really gettin' after it. If you drive like your dad it doesn't do it. It's more like rev hang rather than matching so it works best when you're shifting quickly not lazily.
Rev hang works only during upshift. For downshift, engine rpm needs to be higher than before. You won't get away with not rev matching. As for my dad, the guy doesn't have a clue what rev match is. Back in the days when he's driving manual, he probably downshift at rpm so low the resulting shock would be quite minor.

As for the blip for rev match always landing at the same place, there are certainly shades from small to medium. Beyond medium, you have to stay on it until the rev builds up. Can't be just a casual blip and pop the clutch kind of thing.
accwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 11:36 AM   #9
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
my car's defective it does it everywhere. driving like i stole it, or driving like i'm balancing egg!

i've played with it-- no matter if i smash the gas to hit the floor or just barely roll my foot into it, the revs end up in the same place, the only unpredictable part is where i let the clutch back out.
Do you have a tune? Some of the popular tunes include active rev matching.

There was a guy here some time back who bought a used twin from a dealer and discovered it had a tune on it because of the active rev matching. I don't know if he ever figured out which tune it had. The dealer had no idea.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 12:29 PM   #10
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post

I think both my AT and myself both learned that it looks to be waaaaayyyy more fun to pop the clutch and chirp the tires on a proper launch from a red light then it is to mash the gas pedal in my AT and slooooowly get up to speed....

;-)

That and when your flyin high in the rev range and do a perfect upshift and you hear that braaaaaa bOoooooowwwwww super quickly. Makes me feel like a Driving God!
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 05:01 PM   #11
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Driving god territory is when you're flying and every braking zone sounds like, WHahaaa, Whahaaa, Whahaaa, BWaaaahBWaaahBwaahhhhhh. Edit: (in a three pedal car) LOL
soundman98 (03-30-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 05:50 PM   #12
soundman98

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
Do you have a tune? Some of the popular tunes include active rev matching.

There was a guy here some time back who bought a used twin from a dealer and discovered it had a tune on it because of the active rev matching. I don't know if he ever figured out which tune it had. The dealer had no idea.
none installed by me. and i bought it new off the showroom floor. my factory exhaust has always had a slightly deeper drone than others though for some reason as well...
Old 03-30-2020, 06:12 PM   #13
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post

;-)
You can still stall launch at 2400 rpm, or get ssp torque converter to stall launch at 3100rpm. But yes the one main big advantage to MT is a proper launch, and the 3-4-5 gearing vs our 3-4 gearing.

Also if you are FI you really can’t launch at high rpm anyways especially on the street or you just do a rolling burnout even in an AT.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 06:21 PM   #14
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWFRS View Post
I've seen nothing to indicate that my car has been learning. I drive it like a grandma apart from the occasional manual downshift. I avoid sport mode because it will redline my motor if traffic stops and I have to get on the brakes at freeway speed. So dumb.
In “normal” mode before any learning its in grandma mode so it is already prelearned to how you drive.

I don’t know if it does learn or not but it does seem like it. If you force it to stay in higher rpm cruising (like 3k rpm in 5th gear) often it seems to learn to stay there much longer in auto mode before upshifting to 6th like it would before, Or if you force downshift when slowly casually accelerating it seems to learn to downshift in this condition when before it wouldn’t. But could all just be in my head.

Yes, hard braking in sport mode will keep the RPMs as high as possible, by downshifting for quick corner exiting so your already in proper gear for current RPM.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote