follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 08-24-2013, 11:26 AM   #85
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,577 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
^ Exactly. A couple people have blown one but they're slammed super low. Wide, heavy wheels don't help either. Even with upgrade axles, you can still run the same risk because of the axle angle. Subframe risers will be a must once they're available for those who run these cars low.

I'm lowered, but not slammed and have yet to (knock on wood) have any axle issues besides a blown cv boot from when a tire exploded.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:40 PM   #86
executivekoala

Drives: fr-s
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
^ Exactly. A couple people have blown one but they're slammed super low. Wide, heavy wheels don't help either. Even with upgrade axles, you can still run the same risk because of the axle angle. Subframe risers will be a must once they're available for those who run these cars low.

I'm lowered, but not slammed and have yet to (knock on wood) have any axle issues besides a blown cv boot from when a tire exploded.
Actually I had the psm risers they were a test set, they did help quite a bit but im still thinking axles are weak. I know Ken G's FD car has hybrid greddy ones and I'm hoping they release those.

And thanks a lot for the advice, I really appreciate it!
executivekoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:01 PM   #87
canu_50

Drives: Scion fr-s
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Knocking on wood here!! But i do believe with the hzzight there is no issue yet!! And been drifting for a year with it!
canu_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:47 AM   #88
philstar

Drives: Argento FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
First I just want to say I think this thread is a great idea since I know many of us bought this car with the purpose of drifting it, and with it being so new, we are all trying to figure out what works with this car so lets keep sharing all the info possible!

Axles are okay so far for me in my FR-S which is pretty low (over 15,000 miles and several drift events), my buddy with the red BRZ just broke one of his recently. So I either plan on picking up an extra set of stock ones to bring with me to events or to upgrade to the DSS 600hp axles unless other axles options become available

philstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:02 PM   #89
JordanWho

Drives: Ford Focus RS & Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by executivekoala View Post
I had the psm risers they were a test set, they did help quite a bit
Can you share more info on these? Maybe a link?

I refuse to raise my car from its current height... I'll sell it before I raise it so anything that allows/helps me to stay low with out fucking with the suspension geometry/breaking more axles, will be high on my very long list of mods to buy.

Cheers.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:05 PM   #90
JordanWho

Quote:
Originally Posted by philstar View Post
First I just want to say I think this thread is a great idea since I know many of us bought this car with the purpose of drifting it, and with it being so new, we are all trying to figure out what works with this car so lets keep sharing all the info possible!

Axles are okay so far for me in my FR-S which is pretty low (over 15,000 miles and several drift events), my buddy with the red BRZ just broke one of his recently. So I either plan on picking up an extra set of stock ones to bring with me to events or to upgrade to the DSS 600hp axles unless other axles options become available
You look like you're shredding that track! Good stuff! Have you got a build thread? I'm interested in what specs your wheels/tyres are.

I'm about to purchase a second set of narrow wheels to only use for drifting which should put less stress on the car. Interested to know what you are running as it looks good in the pics and you're making some decent smoke
Old 08-25-2013, 09:18 PM   #91
executivekoala

They don't raise the ride height but rise the diff and sub frame to help bring the axles closer to spec. I know a lot of people were waiting for these and i'm guessing from talking with the bro's there is that are a few months away from being on sale. I will warn that these are a comitment mod, the install isn't easy. It took them 4-5 hours to put these on and they dropped my whole rear end. They are loud like a exhaust delete, you will HEAR the diff and the diff wine also. I loved the noise and I have a very high tolerance for done and noise but you have to love that kind of stuff to go that route. But I did notice that the diff felt tons more planted and stable, if your serious about drifting I totally would do them all over again...in fact I'm going to do just that when they come out.
The Following User Says Thank You to executivekoala For This Useful Post:
philstar (08-25-2013)
Old 08-25-2013, 09:35 PM   #92
JordanWho

Quote:
They don't raise the ride height but rise the diff and sub frame to help bring the axles closer to spec. I know a lot of people were waiting for these and i'm guessing from talking with the bro's there is that are a few months away from being on sale. I will warn that these are a comitment mod, the install isn't easy. It took them 4-5 hours to put these on and they dropped my whole rear end. They are loud like a exhaust delete, you will HEAR the diff and the diff wine also. I loved the noise and I have a very high tolerance for done and noise but you have to love that kind of stuff to go that route. But I did notice that the diff felt tons more planted and stable, if your serious about drifting I totally would do them all over again...in fact I'm going to do just that when they come out.
No I mean't, I refuse to raise my cars coilovers in an attempt to fix the geometry issue.

I don't care about the noise or the install. I am 110% interested. Keep us posted mate
Old 08-25-2013, 11:09 PM   #93
philstar

Quote:
Definitely keep us posted, sounds like a worthwhile mod for me. I cant wait till they start developing a steering angle kit!
Old 08-25-2013, 11:12 PM   #94
philstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanWho View Post
You look like you're shredding that track! Good stuff! Have you got a build thread? I'm interested in what specs your wheels/tyres are.

I'm about to purchase a second set of narrow wheels to only use for drifting which should put less stress on the car. Interested to know what you are running as it looks good in the pics and you're making some decent smoke
My wheel are 17x8 and I run nothing larger than the stock size 215/45 tire. Ive been having good luck with the Nexen N3000 in back, relatively low grip and Ive had no issues with them chunking/delaminating so far.

Here is a link to my build thread. Bunch more pics/info/video in there.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12440
Old 08-25-2013, 11:23 PM   #95
executivekoala

Quote:
Originally Posted by philstar View Post
Definitely keep us posted, sounds like a worthwhile mod for me. I cant wait till they start developing a steering angle kit!
Its all in development. I know Dan was making and testing a lot of parts on his ride. But ill keep everyone posted on the risers. I had them on my old subframe before I crashed and couldnt salvage the risers, I still have the solid diff mounts though and I love them.
The Following User Says Thank You to executivekoala For This Useful Post:
JordanWho (08-26-2013)
Old 08-27-2013, 12:38 PM   #96
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,577 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Its all in development. I know Dan was making and testing a lot of parts on his ride. But ill keep everyone posted on the risers. I had them on my old subframe before I crashed and couldnt salvage the risers, I still have the solid diff mounts though and I love them.

Tie rods and knuckles!

That's what needs to come out for these cars. Stock steering angle is pretty crappy.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
canu_50 (08-27-2013), diss7 (09-10-2013), JordanWho (08-27-2013)
Old 08-27-2013, 12:41 PM   #97
JordanWho

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
Tie rods and knuckles!

That's what needs to come out for these cars. Stock steering angle is pretty crappy.
FACT.

Yet another part I've been waiting to come on the market.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:14 PM   #98
allmotorrex

Drives: 08 4x4 offroad tacoma/ raven fr-s
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
this seems like the right thread to ask about this in ........ I just got my car last week and have already been practicing drifting quite a bit and getting a feel for the car. Question is ..... whats a good middle medium coilover for most street and a drift event every month or two? I plan on a 2" or so drop and want sufficient damping adjustments to easily transition between street and track ride. Ive done coilover research and know about $2.5k + coilovers and their quality. What about in the $1k-$2k range? I don't want stance or megan racing based on personal experience. Powered by Max? BC? A lower end KW? Any suggestions?
allmotorrex is offline   Reply With Quote