follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-25-2012, 10:02 PM   #1
andy19804

Drives: 6MT Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
air filter

Called K n N this AM they don't have a filter for the FR-S yet. Has anyone tried to cross reference wih Subaru to see if they are using an existing air filter?
andy19804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:14 AM   #2
Mattr762

Drives: 2002 Subaru WRX
Andy,
Two posts both about air filters. Why not get the car first, enjoy it for a few thousand mile then see what it needs. And see what mods have been proven to help. I've owned my 2.0L Subaru WRX for 10 years now and there has been no data that shows a K&N will improve performance. In fact, I recall talk about a standard cheap air filter is better for performance on these smaller engines.
Mattr762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:50 AM   #3
Aonarch
Sup Brah?

Drives: '12 VW GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattr762 View Post
Andy,
Two posts both about air filters. Why not get the car first, enjoy it for a few thousand mile then see what it needs. And see what mods have been proven to help. I've owned my 2.0L Subaru WRX for 10 years now and there has been no data that shows a K&N will improve performance. In fact, I recall talk about a standard cheap air filter is better for performance on these smaller engines.
Aonarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:01 PM   #4
andy19804

Drives: 6MT Asphalt FR-S
Not that they are promising anything but these filerts usually add a few HP's and sound good. Plus they last for ten's of thousands of miles thus savin $$$.
andy19804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #5
AX_FRS

Drives: 05 Ford Focus ZX4
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Pretty much all filters will flow the similarly when they're clean. The K&N filters flow better after a longer period of time and can be cleaned and reoiled (at least my K&N cone filter can be). So, there are very minor gains, if any. As far as which one is better, maybe personal preference would dictate, but with my K&N cone filter, I'm supposed to clean it every 50K miles depending on driving conditions, but because there is so much salt on the roads in the winter, I usually clean it once a year (about 12K miles). I've thought about getting a different filter just because I don't particularly enjoy having to clean it every year, but that's how it stays clean and gives that ~2-3 HP gain, right?
AX_FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:38 PM   #6
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Drives: 2013 Argento FRS
Thanked 1,257 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AX_FRS View Post
Pretty much all filters will flow the similarly when they're clean. The K&N filters flow better after a longer period of time and can be cleaned and reoiled (at least my K&N cone filter can be). So, there are very minor gains, if any. As far as which one is better, maybe personal preference would dictate, but with my K&N cone filter, I'm supposed to clean it every 50K miles depending on driving conditions, but because there is so much salt on the roads in the winter, I usually clean it once a year (about 12K miles). I've thought about getting a different filter just because I don't particularly enjoy having to clean it every year, but that's how it stays clean and gives that ~2-3 HP gain, right?

the way k&n works, yes they stay cleaner longer, but the filters dont really add power, the just relieve power from the old dirty and clogged filter

they are worth the money if you dont plan on getting a cold air intake and your car is brand new when you get it

2000 Carbon Blue Toyota Celica GTS 152000 miles
(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
carbonBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:47 PM   #7
AX_FRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonBLUE View Post
the way k&n works, yes they stay cleaner longer, but the filters dont really add power, the just relieve power from the old dirty and clogged filter

they are worth the money if you dont plan on getting a cold air intake and your car is brand new when you get it
Why would it not be worth it if it wasn't brand new? I think it would be more worth it because then you are getting rid of whatever old filter is in there and adding more power (because of the power lost from the old dirty filter). But that doesn't really apply to this car since no one can really buy them used yet I don't know how much they actually cost, so I don't know if it's "worth the price." But I do know that they are an allowed modification for SCCA Solo stock classes, so they must make it into a racecar.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:11 PM   #8
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Drives: 2013 Argento FRS
Thanked 1,257 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AX_FRS View Post
Why would it not be worth it if it wasn't brand new? I think it would be more worth it because then you are getting rid of whatever old filter is in there and adding more power (because of the power lost from the old dirty filter). But that doesn't really apply to this car since no one can really buy them used yet I don't know how much they actually cost, so I don't know if it's "worth the price." But I do know that they are an allowed modification for SCCA Solo stock classes, so they must make it into a racecar.
the filters pay for themselves if you buy the car new and use it through its life span

but lets say you buy the k&n filter for a car that has 100,000 miles on it and the car breaks down at 150,000 the filter is just waster money

if you wanna see a demonstration

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAIxeQUSg-Q&list=UUgJRL30YS6XFxq9Ga8W2J3A&index=2&feature=pl cp"]Mighty Car Mods - POD Filters Mythbusted - YouTube[/ame]

it shows pod filters and k&n panel filters

2000 Carbon Blue Toyota Celica GTS 152000 miles
(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x

Last edited by carbonBLUE; 04-27-2012 at 02:23 PM.
carbonBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:10 PM   #9
AJ PwR

Drives: R35 R56 CZ4A ZC6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Send a message via ICQ to AJ PwR Send a message via AIM to AJ PwR Send a message via MSN to AJ PwR
From what I know, the filter should be the same as the Toyota Wish !
AJ PwR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:35 PM   #10
AX_FRS

Ah, see that makes sense. I guess looking at the actual price of them might have given me more of that indication