follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 08-09-2012, 01:16 PM   #99
ap5512

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
A downshifting questions for the experts:

I've had a S2000 before this and now the BRZ. I usually rev match pretty good when downshifting sequentially (6-5-4 etc...). The question I have is about downshifting non-sequentially. When I first learned how to drive a standard from my cousin he said "you don't want to downshift from 6 to 3 or skip gears.." or something along those lines. Now is that true for all the standard tranny cars these days? Can you shift from 6th gear to say 4th depending on what situation you're in (slowing traffic, approaching red light that turns green..etc).? I know rev matching is important but wanted to understand if this will damage/reduce life on the syncros or anything else. I've had plenty of situations where I am approaching a red light and I am doing 65mph in 6th gear...put it in neutral and brake to slow down but the light turns green and I look down to see that I am down to 35mph...what should be done in an instance such as that?

Thanks in advance.
ap5512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:27 PM   #100
JTM

Drives: 2013 FRS-6MT Argento
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArKiTeCkT View Post
1. Let me reword my first question. How would you reverse on a slight incline? Is there no option but to slip the clutch?

2. ^ I think Im releasing it too fast... Off to an empty area again......
I slip the clutch, slipping the clutch is part of normal wear and tear. Where you get into trouble is riding the clutch, excessive slipping, or slipping the clutch at high RPMs.
JTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:40 PM   #101
JTM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap5512 View Post

I've had a S2000 before this and now the BRZ. I usually rev match pretty good when downshifting sequentially (6-5-4 etc...). The question I have is about downshifting non-sequentially. When I first learned how to drive a standard from my cousin he said "you don't want to downshift from 6 to 3 or skip gears.." or something along those lines. Now is that true for all the standard tranny cars these days? Can you shift from 6th gear to say 4th depending on what situation you're in (slowing traffic, approaching red light that turns green..etc).? I know rev matching is important but wanted to understand if this will damage/reduce life on the syncros or anything else. I've had plenty of situations where I am approaching a red light and I am doing 65mph in 6th gear...put it in neutral and brake to slow down but the light turns green and I look down to see that I am down to 35mph...what should be done in an instance such as that?

Thanks in advance.
Do you want to take off from the light or ease away? If I'm in a hurry I'd drop it into 3rd, if I want to easy away I'd go for 4th and shift into 5 shortly after. Normally when teaching someone new you tell them not to skip gears so they can learn what gear they should be in for a given speed, but you can skip gears to your heart's content as long as you pay attention to what you are doing.

As far as picking gears, the easy way to look at it is take your speed, your example was 35, and just use the first digit if you want to be in the base of your powerband and go up one gear if you are just casually driving around. So for 35mph you would look at it as 3, if you want to be quick you go for 3rd, if you want a relaxed shift go for 4th. Now this is just a generic rule to help someone learning, once you are really confortable with your car you will just know what gear to be in.

I hope that helps.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:45 PM   #102
slrml617
bazinga

Drives: WRB BRZ Limited
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Street driving and track driving is very different.
When on track, you should not skip gears and enter corners braking in neutral

On streets however, i think everyone has their theory.
IMO you can skip gears when the situation calls for it. there is not enough stress to harm the tranny with street driving
The only thing I would pay attention to is not to make it a habit to skip gears, especially when up shifting.
slrml617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:15 PM   #103
trifenix

Drives: Toyota Tacoma
You can downshift skipping gears for passing. 5-3. Just know what the redline is for each gear so you dont blow yer engine (aka money shift). You can also skip gears upshifting revving to 5k and shifting from 2-4 if you are lazy or bored.
trifenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:16 PM   #104
trifenix

Drives: Toyota Tacoma
Also please dont engine brake just use the brakes lol. Maybe only during aggressive driving.
trifenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:54 PM   #105
thorlius
Canadian

Drives: Frieda: Firestorm/MT (11/28/2012)
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trifenix View Post
Also please dont engine brake just use the brakes lol. Maybe only during aggressive driving.
IMO this isn't so bad, unless you have aftermarket exhaust on it and it's 1am in a residential area. Then you're just a d-bag.
thorlius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:19 AM   #106
garsh0p

Drives: Hot Lava MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTM View Post
Practice, practice, practice; what RPM are you shift out of first?

Disclaimer: I am not an expert, I've just been using a clutch on a motorcycle, tractor, or automobile since 1994 and I have swapped/replace quite a few clutches.
I'm having problems with shifting 1st to 2nd at higher RPMs (like 5k+). It seems like I have to wait a long time for the RPMs to drop to get a smooth shift.

I started shifting lower (like around 3-4k) and I seem to be able to get it smoother that way.
garsh0p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:38 AM   #107
JTM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by garsh0p View Post
I'm having problems with shifting 1st to 2nd at higher RPMs (like 5k+). It seems like I have to wait a long time for the RPMs to drop to get a smooth shift.

I started shifting lower (like around 3-4k) and I seem to be able to get it smoother that way.
If you are looking for a smooth transistion from 1st to 2nd (i.e. driving the woman/GF/Wife/random hot chick) try shifting out of first around 2 - 2.5k.

For spirted driving, you will need some practice and maybe the help of someone local.
With the engine off you can practice your 1st to 2nd shifts to make sure you are pulling straight back and not catching any of the guides. The other thing you can check to make sure you are not releasing your clutch before completing the shift (this is actually a very common issue).

In a large, safe, controlled enviroment you can run up the RPMs slowly in 1st and practice your 1st to 2nd shifts, accelorating a little fast with each error free pass, until it becomes you are comfortable with it.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:14 AM   #108
fsevofq400

Drives: Coming - ZC6 MT, SWP Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by garsh0p View Post

the truth is if you're hauling ass doing close to redline shifts, release the clutch fast, the car is not going to be smooth compare to low rpm shifts.

Ever wonder why those driver perspective cams in race cars shake so hard when they shift? high rpm shifts was not meant to be super smooth.
fsevofq400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:34 PM   #109
Maz

Drives: scion Fr-s
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I was taught to not use the clutch just rev it out to 3000 or 4000 revs and disengage the gear with the clutch, then release the clutch and apply a "small" amount of pressure on the next gear gate, and around 2500 it just slides in for a very smooth transition and a lot less work on the clutch. But all the threads I have read said that ill be picking up gear teeth in no time. Is it really as bad as people say it is? and Why is so smooth?
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:31 AM   #110
hotaka

Drives: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
I was taught to not use the clutch just rev it out to 3000 or 4000 revs and disengage the gear with the clutch, then release the clutch and apply a "small" amount of pressure on the next gear gate, and around 2500 it just slides in for a very smooth transition and a lot less work on the clutch. But all the threads I have read said that ill be picking up gear teeth in no time. Is it really as bad as people say it is? and Why is so smooth?
Huh? I might not be understanding you correctly, but the way you explained it, you're missing the whole point of having a clutch. And yes, the gears will be ruined and shifting will be very noisy
hotaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:37 AM   #111
hotaka

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Skipping gears is no problem if you double clutch, rev match, and your rpm is within reason. If you don't double clutch, it might be hard on the gears. But it's not a good habit to skip, since you're making a potential for revving too high/low.
AND in racing situations, you might think you want to shift from 6 to 3, but you might change your decision while downshifting and stay at 4. You wouldn't be able to make that adjustment smoothly if you just skipped.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:47 AM   #112
hotaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heero View Post
Question:

How do I smooth out my shifts from 1st to 2nd? I duno what it is about this car but I can't make the shift smoothly unless I let off the clutch very slowly.

2nd to 3rd sometimes also gives me this problem - all other gears seem fine.
The best way to shift smoothly in general is hold the clutch half engaged for a while, then engage it fully.

People get screwed over by the term "let it go slowly." You just have to get the clutch to touch the flywheel, hold it, then let go. It's a 2 step process, rather than a continuous 1 slow step.