follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 08-20-2014, 10:17 AM   #43
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
For me, having a convertible was a huge inconvenience. Half the tracks/clubs around here don't allow convertibles, and those that do require a roll bar, which limits street usage. Honda never made a coupe S2000, so that made the choice easy.
How does a roll bar limit street usage? It isn't a roll cage, just a roll bar. I still think spending $1500 on a hard top and $500 on a roll bar are worth it to enjoy a coupe S2000 at the track.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:29 AM   #44
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
How does a roll bar limit street usage? It isn't a roll cage, just a roll bar. I still think spending $1500 on a hard top and $500 on a roll bar are worth it to enjoy a coupe S2000 at the track.
I wouldn't feel completely comfortable driving on the street with a roll bar and no helmet. Some people have, and suffered concussions in relatively minor accidents because of the roll bar, even fully foam padded.

I might be willing to take the chance if it was just me in the car, but my wife is usually with me and (to me) it's not worth putting her at risk for my hobby.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:02 AM   #45
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Quote:
I wouldn't feel completely comfortable driving on the street with a roll bar and no helmet. Some people have, and suffered concussions in relatively minor accidents because of the roll bar, even fully foam padded.

I might be willing to take the chance if it was just me in the car, but my wife is usually with me and (to me) it's not worth putting her at risk for my hobby.
I completely understand your view with a full cage where you have door bars and the windshield bars going forward of the main hoop, but not with a simple roll bar. If your head can make contact with it, then it should probably be mounted higher or further rear in the chassis.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:10 AM   #46
DarkSunrise

Quote:
I completely understand your view with a full cage where you have door bars and the windshield bars going forward of the main hoop, but not with a simple roll bar. If your head can make contact with it, then it should probably be mounted higher or further rear in the chassis.
That was my initial thought too, but the response I heard was that OEM seats have a large amount of give to them and in an accident, your head can move a surprising distance (combination of seat flex, neck movement, body movement). Watching those IIHS crash videos, it does look like the dummies' heads move quite a bit in the cabin.

Edit: Here's some more discussion on this.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...reet-safe.html

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
Old 08-20-2014, 11:40 AM   #47
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG David View Post
However, the 86 is also fairly difficult to drive incredibly fast because the last two to three-tenths of the car requires incredible finesse. In that sense, the engineers did a fantastic job building that into the car.
I think that difficulty at the limit has to do with some amount of bind and flex in the bushings. I have feeling that spherical bushings will do a lot make this car sharp as a razor at the cutting edge (pun intended).
Old 08-20-2014, 12:29 PM   #48
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
I think it comes down to which car has the right combination of traits for your needs.

For me, having a convertible was a huge inconvenience. Half the tracks/clubs around here don't allow convertibles, and those that do require a roll bar, which limits street usage. Honda never made a coupe S2000, so that made the choice easy.

The theoretical hp/tq limits of the S2000 engine and transmission are higher, and it's easier to make power overall, but both the FR-S and S2000 will make (and handle) the maximum amount of power I'd ever be interested in making with these platforms, so it's a moot point for me.

Then there are minor things I like about the FR-S, like its foldable rear seats, gauge cluster, factory square tire setup, etc.

If there was one thing I could take from the S2000, it would be the transmission. Hands down the best shifter I've ever used. The FR-S transmission is pretty good compared to most, but can't compare to the one in the S2000.

But anyway two great cars. It's amazing that the S2000 is as competitive as it is, given how long ago it was released. Shows how good Honda was in its prime. But I suspect the answer to which is the "better" car simply comes down to what your needs are. I will say, if Honda had made an S2000 coupe, I would probably have bought one.
I've never seen a S2000 roll bar that would compromise street safety; they all sit REALLY far back.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:30 PM   #49
CSG Mike

Quote:

That foam padding is a gimmick; if your head hits that foam padding, you're still a goner. But, the s2000 roll bars sit so far back that this should never be an issue, even with a tall driver.

Quote:
That was my initial thought too, but the response I heard was that OEM seats have a large amount of give to them and in an accident, your head can move a surprising distance (combination of seat flex, neck movement, body movement). Watching those IIHS crash videos, it does look like the dummies' heads move quite a bit in the cabin.

Edit: Here's some more discussion on this.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...reet-safe.html
Even with OEM seat flex your backwards movement is limited by the rear bulkhead, which is still far in front of a proper roll bar... the OEM roll hoops should still be in front of the roll bar, if you leave them in, which will also stop you from getting anywhere near the bar itself.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:35 PM   #50
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Even with OEM seat flex your backwards movement is limited by the rear bulkhead, which is still far in front of a proper roll bar... the OEM roll hoops should still be in front of the roll bar, if you leave them in, which will also stop you from getting anywhere near the bar itself.
Since this is an S2000 thread. What roll bar do you and @CSG David recommend? I don't remember seeing any listed on your site.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:36 PM   #51
DarkSunrise

Quote:
I've never seen a S2000 roll bar that would compromise street safety; they all sit REALLY far back.
Quote:
That foam padding is a gimmick; if your head hits that foam padding, you're still a goner. But, the s2000 roll bars sit so far back that this should never be an issue, even with a tall driver.

Damn it, now I may just have to go buy a used S2000 lol.

CSG guys... always coming up with new ways to burn a hole in my wallet.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
Old 08-20-2014, 12:37 PM   #52
CSG Mike

Quote:
Since this is an S2000 thread. What roll bar do you and @CSG David recommend? I don't remember seeing any listed on your site.
Ideally? You should get one custom made.

Harddog would be the next choice, followed by budget choice Rockstar.

If you want something that blends in well, the Mugen. Cusco/Safety21 is super easy, but not allowed by most US sanctioning bodies.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:38 PM   #53
drewbot
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S A/T
Thanked 1,452 Times in 752 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Reading about the S2000 that I wanted to buy is like hearing about a girl you never got to bang, but others have

I needed the trunk space and occasional rear seats, though
drewbot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drewbot For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (08-20-2014)
Old 08-20-2014, 12:48 PM   #54
CSG David

Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
I think that difficulty at the limit has to do with some amount of bind and flex in the bushings. I have feeling that spherical bushings will do a lot make this car sharp as a razor at the cutting edge (pun intended).
Careful, you're treading on the $ topic again.

Bushings are indeed important, but I'm pretty sure we've proven that it's definitely a nice to have when a point is reached in the tuning/driving realm. 99.5% of these people have not hit that point yet.
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG David For This Useful Post:
rice_classic (08-20-2014)
Old 08-20-2014, 12:50 PM   #55
Jaden
Road-hole

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
wait hold on a second...

There is a WHOLE lot more to being a better car than being able to rev higher or achieve higher power levels for a given boost level.

I personally wouldn't care if the s2000 performed 10 times as good and was half the price, to me it's ugly as sin, the lines are way too straight and boring...and I don't like convertibles...

I don't believe that it does though. Regardless of what you have to do to achieve the same power levels at the same power levels I believe the twin to be prettier, better and more fun to drive.

So to say the S2K is better is a misnomer based on power levels at a given boost and being able to rev higher.

I can build a gsxr motor to make 300hp and mount it where the rear seats are and rev to 12000 rpm but that wouldn't make it a better car...(yes it would decrease the integrity of the chassis and I would need to install a roll cage that i could mount the motor to etc... that's besides the point).

ok maybe it would make it better but not because I can now rev to 12000...

Opinions are like assholes, we all have them and most of the time they stink so let's just agree to disagree and go from there.

Jaden
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaden For This Useful Post:
AVodka14 (08-20-2014)
Old 08-20-2014, 12:55 PM   #56
glamcem

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
I've seen this come up almost daily on facebook lately...

glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to glamcem For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (08-20-2014)