follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 12-01-2012, 09:58 PM   #1
nzer

Drives: 2012 Grey TRD GT86, 2015 VW Golf R
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
OBDII (OBD2) Connector

We've had a discussion here on the Oz/NZ regional forum but wondered if you guys/girls in USA and other parts around the world can assist.

We are looking at using the OBDII connector to get real time oil temp. Any of you managed to get this reading using the connector and an android or iPhone app or similar.

Appreciate any help on this as we can't find the answer on the forum.

Thread was here
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23232
nzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:15 PM   #2
Brody602
Drift King

Drives: '13 Firestorm FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzer View Post
We've had a discussion here on the Oz/NZ regional forum but wondered if you guys/girls in USA and other parts around the world can assist.

We are looking at using the OBDII connector to get real time oil temp. Any of you managed to get this reading using the connector and an android or iPhone app or similar.

Thread was here
Aslong as the car has a factory sensor for that specific reason, you should be able to tap into it using the torque app for android, although cars are rarely fitted with that sensor, and I'm not sure if the FRS/BRZ/86 have it.

Maybe you guys can help answer my very similar questions LOL;

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23391
Brody602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:03 PM   #3
driver01

Drives: brz 13
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:

Thread was here
I have seen the data available to monitor using toyota's techstream tool and oil temperature is available.
however, when connecting and aftermarket reader (dashcommand in my case) this parameter does not show.
In short, there is a sensor for oil temperature and is monitored by the engine ecu, however it might no be seen by stardard obd2 readers.
driver01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to driver01 For This Useful Post:
nzer (12-02-2012)
Old 12-02-2012, 10:55 PM   #4
Synack
Boosted

Drives: Sideways
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by driver01 View Post
I have seen the data available to monitor using toyota's techstream tool and oil temperature is available.
however, when connecting and aftermarket reader (dashcommand in my case) this parameter does not show.
In short, there is a sensor for oil temperature and is monitored by the engine ecu, however it might no be seen by stardard obd2 readers.
Unfortunate, I'll know in a couple weeks if this is true or not for me. Trying to avoid getting a gauge for oil temp. Although it might just be necessary to always know what temp it is being that I'm boosted.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:22 AM   #5
Brody602
Drift King

Drives: '13 Firestorm FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by driver01 View Post
Would you be able to see results from that techstream tool again and possibly indentify the PID for the Oil temp, with the PID we'd be able to add it in torque and get the info, and the reason you don't see it on the standard obd2 readers is simply that, because it's not a standard obd2 code > there also refered to as Vehicle Specific or Manufacturer Specific PID's and basically hardly anyone has access to these specific pid's except scantools such as techstream that pay top dollar to have them..
Brody602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:25 PM   #6
nzer

@Brody602, @driver01, @Synack and anyone else interested:

Damn, tried the kiwi2 plx wifi connector with all the iPhone apps that seem compatible AND the ELM327 with three android apps and NONE showed real time oil temp.

Then tried the oil temp PID from Wikipedia and no data received.

So, looks like my earlier solution with the HKS OB-Link is the only way I can see to get real time oil temp. Cost is approx US$300 for the OB-Link, the carscope app is free, and if you have an android phone that is all you need other than a suction mount for your android phone that you can get cheap from eBay. At this stage the HKS OB-Link is not compatible with iPhone.

For a really nice look you can link to an installed 7" tablet in your dash or suction mount to the screen.

I see there's also some really expensive JVC and Pioneer head units that may allow their touch screen to control the android app and that would be pretty cool.

Bad news is that unless someone else can work out a solution the cheaper ELM327 and Kiwi plx connectors won't give you real time oil temp and the cost of the OB-Link is pretty steep if that is all you want it for.

Sorry I can't be of any more help unless some IT geeks have anything else to try.

Last edited by nzer; 01-02-2013 at 09:49 PM.
nzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:43 PM   #7
Future

Drives: BRZ!
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Anyone tried the torque scan addon?
Old 01-02-2013, 09:51 PM   #8
nzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future View Post
Happy to try it for you.

Is this what you mean?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rquescan&hl=en

Old 01-02-2013, 10:06 PM   #9
Future

Drives: BRZ!
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Happy to try it for you.

Is this what you mean?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rquescan&hl=en

yup, it takes quite a while to run but it could find some extra PIDs?!
Old 01-02-2013, 10:16 PM   #10
nzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future View Post
Ok, have just tried the torque app with the torque scan add-on with the ELM327 Bluetooth connector.

Shows in green each piece of data that can be read. Unfortunately "Engine Oil Temperature [5c]" is in white and says "No data received".

Only thing I can't try is the torque app and torque scan with the Kiwi2 plx connector as I only have the wifi iPhone version and the torque app is android only. But, it seems from the iPhone apps I have tried that the oil temp is not read by them either.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:37 AM   #11
Synack
Boosted

Drives: Sideways
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
@Brody602, @driver01, @Synack and anyone else interested:

Damn, tried the kiwi2 plx wifi connector with all the iPhone apps that seem compatible AND the ELM327 with three android apps and NONE showed real time oil temp.

Then tried the oil temp PID from Wikipedia and no data received.

So, looks like my earlier solution with the HKS OB-Link is the only way I can see to get real time oil temp. Cost is approx US$300 for the OB-Link, the carscope app is free, and if you have an android phone that is all you need other than a suction mount for your android phone that you can get cheap from eBay. At this stage the HKS OB-Link is not compatible with iPhone.

For a really nice look you can link to an installed 7" tablet in your dash or suction mount to the screen.

I see there's also some really expensive JVC and Pioneer head units that may allow their touch screen to control the android app and that would be pretty cool.

Bad news is that unless someone else can work out a solution the cheaper ELM327 and Kiwi plx connectors won't give you real time oil temp and the cost of the OB-Link is pretty steep if that is all you want it for.

Sorry I can't be of any more help unless some IT geeks have anything else to try.

I guess I'll just buy a real gauge and call it a day.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:26 PM   #12
nzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synack View Post
I guess I'll just buy a real gauge and call it a day.
Yep, although the HKS OB-Link is awesome so if you want to measure stuff over time and be able to select different gauges it is still a good option even if pricy.

A gauge will need to be wired in rather than using the OBD2 connector unless someone can find the PID for oil temp. HKS must be using the non-standard Toyota oil temp PID and if we can find it out...

Here's my samsung 7" tablet running carscope paired with the HKS OB-Link. You can see oil temp is one of the gauges I have selected and it works perfectly.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #13
Ryan86
Road Warrior

Drives: Toyota 86 Satin Pearl White
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Has anyone managed to get the OBD2 working through an IPAD?
Ryan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:08 PM   #14
nzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan86 View Post
Has anyone managed to get the OBD2 working through an IPAD?
Yes, I have it working with the with the kiwi2 plx wifi connector.

Assume it will also work with the ELM327 wifi version. Then, you can buy an iphone app such as Rev for iPhone etc - lots to choose from.

You still won't get oil temp, if that's what you're after, unless we can track down the toyota non-standard PID code.