follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 07-31-2012, 04:12 PM   #15
lordtakuban

Drives: 2013 FRS - Whiteout
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Here's some info on the factory fill from BobIsTheOilGuy forums:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...60#Post2660460

It features Blackstone Labs reports. Notice that there is a LOT of MOLY added to the FF. Mobil 1 is really light on MOLY. It was likely used to help with break-in. If possible, grab an oil that also contains a high moly count for your first oil change just to be safe. Might be extra over cautious, but couldn't hurt.

I'll be putting in 300V along with a Power Enterprise magnetic filter in a few hundred miles or so (maybe around 2K miles) and have the FF oil analyzed to get a solid baseline. Yes, that will be an expensive oil change. But it will handle any heat thrown its way from autox or regular old fashioned driving as well as giving solid protection. I plan to continue using 300V in the future as well.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:59 PM   #16
mediumbrown

Drives: 2013 Argento Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Where does it say in the manual that an oil change is REQUIRED after the break-in period?
mediumbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:01 PM   #17
blu_

Drives: SWP BRZ LTD
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
No where. It's not required at all.
blu_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blu_ For This Useful Post:
mediumbrown (07-31-2012)
Old 07-31-2012, 05:02 PM   #18
blu_

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordtakuban View Post
It features Blackstone Labs reports. Notice that there is a LOT of MOLY added to the FF. Mobil 1 is really light on MOLY. It was likely used to help with break-in. If possible, grab an oil that also contains a high moly count for your first oil change just to be safe. Might be extra over cautious, but couldn't hurt.
Someone mentioned that the moly in the FF is there to help with mileage during break in. To support this, I did notice my mileage decrease after changing my oil. Hopefully as the engine breaks in more that will change.

See here:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...83&postcount=1
The Following User Says Thank You to blu_ For This Useful Post:
_hollywood (08-01-2012)
Old 07-31-2012, 06:44 PM   #19
michaelahess

Drives: '13 GBS BRZ Lim, 2006 Dodge RAM MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordtakuban View Post
You should return the Royal Purple ASAP and buy some Redline Full synthetic oil. It's Ester based and not crappy oil with good marketing hype like Royal Purple. If you really want to go baller, get some Motul 300V. If you want more budget minded oil that is still really good, get Amsoil. Basically, just about anything is going to be better than Royal Purple. Good luck.
Proof to back this claim? My brother-in-law is a diesel mechanic and he swears by it.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:57 PM   #20
mediumbrown

Drives: 2013 Argento Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu_ View Post
No where. It's not required at all.
Thank you, i don't understand the paranoia with having to change the oil immediately after the break-in period... but to each his own!

Personally, i'm going by the recommended interval suggested by the manufacturer based on the driving conditions. Also, i'll definitely take advantage of the Scion Service Boost
mediumbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:05 PM   #21
blu_

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediumbrown View Post
Thank you, i don't understand the paranoia with having to change the oil immediately after the break-in period... but to each his own!

Personally, i'm going by the recommended interval suggested by the manufacturer based on the driving conditions. Also, i'll definitely take advantage of the Scion Service Boost
It's just something that is probably more relevant on older cars. I don't think its a big deal either way. IN FACT, the dealership I go to only carries, besides the factory synthetic, Valvoline, which has very low Moly levels. So in theory I might be doing my engine more harm than good by changing it early according to the linked post.

Part of the reason I bought this car though is that its basic enough I shouldnt have to worry about this engine as much as my turbo'd cars in the past.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:10 PM   #22
blu_

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelahess View Post
Proof to back this claim? My brother-in-law is a diesel mechanic and he swears by it.
The Royal Purple debate is never ending. But according to a decent amount of people its an overrated oil compared to what its marketed as. Research it on bobistheoilguy. No offense to your brother, but mechanics all swear by certain products and they usually aren't correct in all of their recommendations. Whether or not its a good oil is beyond me though. I don;t use it because of the criticism I have heard of it, nothing more.

For a DD though, I don't think it really matters that much.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:22 PM   #23
TRD_86

Drives: 2013 86 white
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Mine at 4k now. I called dealer to request oil change but they said only bring it in at 5k for free oil change maintenance service per manual ! I really want to flush it out now for just the 1st one. Then I will hit 5k in just another 2 weeks ( 1k/2wk driving) !
TRD_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:35 PM   #24
blu_

I don't drive much because I have a short commute. I'm only at 1700 miles after 2+ months.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:39 PM   #25
trifenix

Drives: Toyota Tacoma
I did research on RP and found its supposr to be grade 4 oil...higher than m1. Got good ratings on load bearing test. Im sure if an oil is high level, they should all perform similarly. I tried RP 5w-30 and it actually allowed my engine to rev faster (thinner slicker viscosity?) Than m1. Not sure. It also protected my engine when it overheated twice from constant redlining (hoses blew) I assume oil helps protect the engine in these cases.

I know amsoil is great too but dont see a reason to knock another good oil. I say, Invest in good oil if you plan on tracking or spirited driving and change it often. If you dont hit redline daily...normal oil is perfectly fine.
trifenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:48 PM   #26
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
I used the Motul 8100 X-Lite 0w-30 which is also Ester based. It's a little too early to tell if my mileage has dropped at all, I'm hoping it doesn't.

I changed my oil at 1250 miles but maybe it wasn't needed, who knows.

I changed the oil and filter in my 2012 Wrangler at 500 miles after I saw all the metal deposits other folks were getting in their filters, and mine was no exception. The BRZ I had nothing really.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:06 PM   #27
philstar

Drives: Argento FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I just hit my break in mileage

going to change my oil this weekend with Amsoil 0w20 and oem filter.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:33 PM   #28
CBR600RR

Drives: Raven Black
Any opinions on Quakerstate 100% syn 0w20????
CBR600RR is offline   Reply With Quote