follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 08-29-2017, 11:24 PM   #351
Shark_Bait88

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by APEXIT53 View Post
I think it's a decent DS cat but also on the edge of it will be an over dog. The larger issue is price and availability.
True. I don't think we'll see a wave of them overtaking street classes at autox.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:03 PM   #352
Shark_Bait88

Out of curiosity, how many current DS folks are thinking about switching to SSC next year? I'm guessing the likelihood will be largely dependent on the current level of prep, mainly in regard to those who aren't running OEM shocks.

I'm one of those folks, currently on Konis, and am debating the move. I actually really like DS in Chicago Region, playing with WRXs and E36 M3s is fun (currently no TurboMaros in our region, though that may change thanks to Scroggs). The cars are still quite competitive, depending somewhat on course layout. Although I don't expect to earn a jacket as long as Chris Dvorak is running his WRX in DS.

While the SSC setup does sound really enticing for a daily driver/autox setup that seems like it's mainly looking to improve on some of the better characteristics of the car, there are a few things I think it doesn't quite hit (that I've discussed at length in other threads). It's good, but I just don't know that it's quite good enough to make me want to sell my current DS prep and pony-up the extra cash for the Stage 1 & 2 mods for SSC. (Granted, I'm also supposed to be saving for a wedding. So that's playing a role in my thoughts as well. haha)

I'm not trying to create another Spec Twin thread. Just curious what the DS crowd specifically is intending to do, in light of the specifics of SSC being revealed.
Bimble Bamble (09-16-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 11:18 PM   #353
Locust
Custom User Title

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S, 2012 OB Evo X MR
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Locust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Bait88 View Post
Out of curiosity, how many current DS folks are thinking about switching to SSC next year? I'm guessing the likelihood will be largely dependent on the current level of prep, mainly in regard to those who aren't running OEM shocks.

I'm one of those folks, currently on Konis, and am debating the move. I actually really like DS in Chicago Region, playing with WRXs and E36 M3s is fun (currently no TurboMaros in our region, though that may change thanks to Scroggs). The cars are still quite competitive, depending somewhat on course layout. Although I don't expect to earn a jacket as long as Chris Dvorak is running his WRX in DS.

While the SSC setup does sound really enticing for a daily driver/autox setup that seems like it's mainly looking to improve on some of the better characteristics of the car, there are a few things I think it doesn't quite hit (that I've discussed at length in other threads). It's good, but I just don't know that it's quite good enough to make me want to sell my current DS prep and pony-up the extra cash for the Stage 1 & 2 mods for SSC. (Granted, I'm also supposed to be saving for a wedding. So that's playing a role in my thoughts as well. haha)

I'm not trying to create another Spec Twin thread. Just curious what the DS crowd specifically is intending to do, in light of the specifics of SSC being revealed.
I fully intend to. My entire goal each year has been to improve and there's no better way to measure that than to run in a class that is as close to 100% fair with regards to car capability as possible.

Instagram:
LocustAutoX
Sponsors:
DSGPerformance Drift Office Evil Apex Racing

Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locust For This Useful Post:
Bimble Bamble (09-16-2017), Shark_Bait88 (09-05-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 09:17 AM   #354
Shark_Bait88

Another positive pushing me toward SSC is that you will actually be buying dyno matched shocks, as opposed to the OTS Konis that probably have greater variance. That would certainly be a nice bonus to the class.
Bimble Bamble (09-16-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 09:54 AM   #355
APEXIT53

Drives: 17 Camaro SS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The SSc class is going to shake up DS for sure. I think a lot of people in twins will go there. Maybe that's why they put the turbo pony cars into DS knowing this class was coming?

SSc is a cool idea. Basically stx light but everyone is on the same setup and that's cool.
APEXIT53 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to APEXIT53 For This Useful Post:
Shark_Bait88 (09-08-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 10:01 AM   #356
solort

Drives: Series 10 FRS
Twins still seems like a good fit for DS. Throw Scroggs out of the class and the class will be whole again for twins (unless Pro Solo or point and shoot course)....

Now, CS seems to be all ND...
solort is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to solort For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2017, 11:06 AM   #357
Shark_Bait88

Yeah, TurboMaro doesn't really look to be a class killer. I imagine the average regional bloke would really need to hustle the car to make it do well. I think the Twins will be alive and well in DS still, despite SSC.

My decision to switch may come down to exactly how much I can get in TireRack gift cards for Christmas. It'll either go to Stage 1/2 SSC kit, or a different FSB and new tires for DS.
Old 09-08-2017, 02:14 PM   #358
G_Ride

Drives: Some kind of Subaru
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by solort View Post
Twins still seems like a good fit for DS. Throw Scroggs out of the class and the class will be whole again for twins (unless Pro Solo or point and shoot course)....

Now, CS seems to be all ND...
Agreed. If you exclude Mark, the twins look like a good fit for DS. It's a shame no one in a 2017 twin showed up to CS. I was curious to see how they'd do against the NDs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Bait88 View Post
Yeah, TurboMaro doesn't really look to be a class killer. I imagine the average regional bloke would really need to hustle the car to make it do well. I think the Twins will be alive and well in DS still, despite SSC.

My decision to switch may come down to exactly how much I can get in TireRack gift cards for Christmas. It'll either go to Stage 1/2 SSC kit, or a different FSB and new tires for DS.
You'll change your mind soon enough, and then throw on coilovers and go to STX....again
G_Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to G_Ride For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2017, 04:47 PM   #359
MoarTorqs
***** Lurker

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Also keep in mind that the TurboMaro was fast enough to have won F-Street as well...
MoarTorqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 05:14 PM   #360
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,474 Times in 4,995 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoarTorqs View Post
Also keep in mind that the TurboMaro was fast enough to have won F-Street as well...
FS and CS are 0.001 different on PAX (0.802 vs 0.801), the only reason they're separate is to make sure course variance doesn't screw over too many people. Although I think it'd be fun to see FS -> CS with the Camaro back in I'm sure people would scream like mashed cats.

"Our course designer is a Miata/Muscle guy, I won't stand a chance at locals!"
"Our lot is too tiny/huge, I'll get slaughtered!"

bah humbug

Edit: was looking at old PAX, FS is now 0.804 so a bit further than I had originally thought.

Last edited by strat61caster; 09-08-2017 at 06:37 PM.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 05:16 PM   #361
G_Ride

Drives: Some kind of Subaru
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoarTorqs View Post
With someone like Mark Scroggs behind the wheel
G_Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to G_Ride For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (09-08-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 05:19 PM   #362
MoarTorqs
***** Lurker

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
FS and CS are 0.001 different on PAX, the only reason they're separate is to make sure course variance doesn't screw over too many people. Although I think it'd be fun to see FS -> CS with the Camaro back in I'm sure people would scream like mashed cats.

"Our course designer is a Miata/Muscle guy, I won't stand a chance at locals!"
"Our lot is too tiny/huge, I'll get slaughtered!"

bah humbug
This is true. I personally didn't think the turbo camaro/mustang should have been moved out of FS right after the slower of the two was on the podium last year to begin with, but unfortunately that's how it goes sometimes... It's sad that such a popular and fun car can get removed from contention by a car that really isn't that fun (4-Cyl Camaro). Hopefully the Spec class will solve that for some. In the meantime, I'm getting the BRZ ready for STX next year... Of course, I bought it with the plan to immediately start building it for STX, not DS, so take my comments with a grain of salt since I really don't have any skin in that particular game...
MoarTorqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:32 PM   #363
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Ride View Post
FS ran in cooler conditions and less rubber on the course, I think it would have been a good battle in FS with Scroggs in the class as well. I was surprised they put the Camaro in DS to begin with, it should have been in FS IMHO. I think they will move it there eventually, but they just classed the new Civic Type-R in DS as well, and how fast it will be remains to be seen.

I predict a mass exodus from DS to SSC.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:54 PM   #364
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,474 Times in 4,995 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Ride View Post
I haven't been around too long but nearly 2s up on the quickest 86 both here and at the ProSolo, that's a bit much to dismiss as 'alien' to me. Nobody else is winning by as wide a margin in Street or Street Touring except in ES.

Even when Wilcox was accused of cheating last year in STX he was up by 1.3s at the end, Heitkotter is currently up 1.3s in STU. If there's a precedent for having >1.5s up on the whole field I'll yield, but he ran on the same day as CS and would have been 2nd by 0.3s and would have won FS, 2nd in STP which should be way faster but maybe I'm missing something there, but STR and STS ran decent on PAX those days so idk. Just seems that it's a bit unbelievable to have that wide a margin on talent alone when other big names aren't putting up times that quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwd View Post
I predict a mass exodus from DS to SSC.
I'd disagree but 86's in CS dried up mighty quick. If street class keeps on being a contest of who can drop more money on depreciation for the latest hot model car instead of mods and tires it'll be a shame. Swapped one evil for another.

Ah reminds me of bitching about balance in MOBA's...
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote