follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 11-25-2016, 11:19 AM   #1877
bshown

Drives: is300
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiumai View Post
Two months ago I stopped by CSG to flash to the CARB/EO tune, and immediately I noticed an occasional hesitation at around 4k-5k RPM under partial throttle conditions. I thought it'd give the ECU time to learn, but it hasn't gone away. It doesn't happen at WOT or the low end of throttle input; but more at 50%-70% throttle. It'll happen when i'm rolling along at 'cruising' speed (RPM around 2.5k) and push the pedal down to accelerate (not WOT) and it'll buck a bit when it hits around 4k. It doesn't happen every single time though.

It happens straight from cold through normal operating temps so from what I can tell, it doesn't seem to be very temperature dependent. I stopped by Edelbrock for them to get some logs, but it only manifested itself a few times during the drive, and we didn't see anything weird in the logs, so it seems safe to drive as is (which was my main concern). We saw it show up as a blip in RPM but weren't sure why.

Anyway, I'm hoping that they'll have a chance to take a more detailed look at it (I'm wondering if other people have experienced the same issue), as it's a little bit annoying for daily driving. They've been very responsive and helpful. I'd rather keep the EO tune rather than flash back to the original one (which did not present this issue) just to keep it 100% compliant.
We are having this same isssue. No codes, etc. Part throttle bucking is not acceptable IMO as this kit is supposed to drive as stock. I gave them my data as well and they thought it was normal. It definitely feels like something in the tune is off.
bshown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bshown For This Useful Post:
shiumai (11-25-2016)
Old 11-25-2016, 12:02 PM   #1878
Colin86

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshown View Post
We are having this same isssue. No codes, etc. Part throttle bucking is not acceptable IMO as this kit is supposed to drive as stock. I gave them my data as well and they thought it was normal. It definitely feels like something in the tune is off.
I had this exact same issue on the CARB tune, it seemed to happen more frequently when the AC was on... For me I noticed it on the highway during partial throttle passing situations mid way through the rev band.

Haven't gotten to test it with the AC running, but after installing the Delicious D box and flashing their Edelbrock specific tune I haven't had a single part throttle hesitation. Further more the throttle pedal feels more natural, and the power delivery is smooth and robust. Highly recommend their tune.

Only problem now is I have the itch for e85. The stock rods are safe at 330whp right?
Colin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colin86 For This Useful Post:
shiumai (11-25-2016), zach@delicioustuning.com (12-15-2016)
Old 11-25-2016, 01:11 PM   #1879
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,576 Times in 638 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Thanks for chiming in - I'm glad to know I'm not the only one experiencing this. I definitely don't think it's normal nor attributed to anything mechanical as it never happened when stock, nor on the initial tune supplied by Edelbrock before the CARB tune was flashed on my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin86 View Post
I had this exact same issue on the CARB tune, it seemed to happen more frequently when the AC was on... For me I noticed it on the highway during partial throttle passing situations mid way through the rev band.

Haven't gotten to test it with the AC running, but after installing the Delicious D box and flashing their Edelbrock specific tune I haven't had a single part throttle hesitation. Further more the throttle pedal feels more natural, and the power delivery is smooth and robust. Highly recommend their tune.
Thank you also for chiming in - I'm hoping that this will help convince Edelbrock that it's not an isolated issue to a couple of cars. I'd rather not have to spend another $500 (delicious tune + D-box) to solve this one issue, as I'm happy with the CARB tune otherwise, and want to keep it 100% CARB compliant.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 04:49 PM   #1880
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 11,246 Times in 5,409 Posts
Mentioned: 834 Post(s)
Tagged: 13 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganGirl View Post
Does anyone run this kit with borla headers? Is it compatible?
With a tune from @DeliciousTuning, you can run any header of your choice.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2016, 09:07 PM   #1881
GT86Asia

Drives: 2016 BRZ
Quote:
Thanks for chiming in - I'm glad to know I'm not the only one experiencing this. I definitely don't think it's normal nor attributed to anything mechanical as it never happened when stock, nor on the initial tune supplied by Edelbrock before the CARB tune was flashed on my car.

Thank you also for chiming in - I'm hoping that this will help convince Edelbrock that it's not an isolated issue to a couple of cars. I'd rather not have to spend another $500 (delicious tune + D-box) to solve this one issue, as I'm happy with the CARB tune otherwise, and want to keep it 100% CARB compliant.
Its possible all of these hesitation problems, whether are idle or when cruising, of which I have also experienced both, except DT updated my tune and basically eliminated the idling oscillation, but yeah, it's like a 0.1 second sort of hesitation that you feel in the car when you are crusing and just press the throttle to speed up a little bit, and 'boom' there it is, for less than a second you can feel the car hesitate and the exhaust dip for just that moment, and then everything is normal.

So it may be all related to the edelbrock instake system.

I believe Edelbrock need a V2 design of the intake system, so these issues can be aliminated without having to mess around with the tunes.

We just need more users to post here, with these same issues. The people are edelbrock are very good, and constantly monitor these forums. But enough of us have to stand up and point out the issues.

GT86Asia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GT86Asia For This Useful Post:
paiceyfan (11-27-2016), sato (11-27-2016), shiumai (11-26-2016)
Old 11-27-2016, 11:18 PM   #1882
bshown

Drives: is300
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT86Asia View Post
Its possible all of these hesitation problems, whether are idle or when cruising, of which I have also experienced both, except DT updated my tune and basically eliminated the idling oscillation, but yeah, it's like a 0.1 second sort of hesitation that you feel in the car when you are crusing and just press the throttle to speed up a little bit, and 'boom' there it is, for less than a second you can feel the car hesitate and the exhaust dip for just that moment, and then everything is normal.

So it may be all related to the edelbrock instake system.

I believe Edelbrock need a V2 design of the intake system, so these issues can be aliminated without having to mess around with the tunes.

We just need more users to post here, with these same issues. The people are edelbrock are very good, and constantly monitor these forums. But enough of us have to stand up and point out the issues.

I've been on vacation the past two weeks basically with a race at Laguna Seca and the holidays. I'll contact Edelbrock again and raise the issue of more people having the same problems and seemingly only on the CARB tune. I originally asked for a tune that was not CARB certified because we don't have emissions in my state, but they said they only have the CARB tune now.
bshown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bshown For This Useful Post:
paiceyfan (11-28-2016)
Old 11-28-2016, 01:23 AM   #1883
GT86Asia

Quote:
I've been on vacation the past two weeks basically with a race at Laguna Seca and the holidays. I'll contact Edelbrock again and raise the issue of more people having the same problems and seemingly only on the CARB tune. I originally asked for a tune that was not CARB certified because we don't have emissions in my state, but they said they only have the CARB tune now.
I never ran the CARB tune, because I got the SC before edelbrock had their tune certified, and besides I did my SC together with my flex fuel kit, so I never touched the CARB tune. So these issues happen regardless of which tune you run. The idling issue has been resolved I would say by 99%, with tune tweeking, but the momentary hesitation while cruising, is still at large unresolved.
Old 11-28-2016, 07:38 AM   #1884
BirdTRD
one loose screw

Drives: 2014 Supercharged SSM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I never ran the CARB tune, because I got the SC before edelbrock had their tune certified, and besides I did my SC together with my flex fuel kit, so I never touched the CARB tune. So these issues happen regardless of which tune you run. The idling issue has been resolved I would say by 99%, with tune tweeking, but the momentary hesitation while cruising, is still at large unresolved.
Same issue at cruising speeds and I am running a Moto-East tune (on 93) and the D-box.
Seems to not like it when I give it gentle throttle to maintain cruising speed as road incline changes. I've watched my IAM's drop as low as .25 during this time and you can really feel it pulling timing.
If I change my driving style from steady throttle, civilized mode to accelerate/decelerate mode (you know the type, can't keep the throttle in one place, piss you off when you ride with them mode), I do not have the problem.
BirdTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 09:58 AM   #1885
shiumai

Quote:
MY hesitation issue only happened with the CARB tune; not the original tune it came with. The moment we flashed the CARB tune, the issue was noticeable. It didn't hesitate like that on the original pre-CARB tune from Edelbrock.

Edited to add: If anyone else is experiencing the same hesitation issue with the CARB tune, please do some logging and send the data to Edelbrock so they can take a look at it. Right now, they do not have enough data to identify the issue.

Last edited by shiumai; 11-28-2016 at 03:05 PM.
Old 11-28-2016, 01:59 PM   #1886
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 11,246 Times in 5,409 Posts
Mentioned: 834 Post(s)
Tagged: 13 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdTRD View Post
Same issue at cruising speeds and I am running a Moto-East tune (on 93) and the D-box.
Seems to not like it when I give it gentle throttle to maintain cruising speed as road incline changes. I've watched my IAM's drop as low as .25 during this time and you can really feel it pulling timing.
If I change my driving style from steady throttle, civilized mode to accelerate/decelerate mode (you know the type, can't keep the throttle in one place, piss you off when you ride with them mode), I do not have the problem.
Get some logs to your tuner so you can get that fixed. IAM doesnt drop without the knock sensor going off...
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
BirdTRD (11-28-2016)
Old 11-28-2016, 02:54 PM   #1887
kidgogeta

Drives: FRS
What guages do you guys recommend for this kit?
kidgogeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 03:03 PM   #1888
shiumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidgogeta View Post
I'm using a p3cars vent gauge mostly for temps.
Old 11-28-2016, 04:14 PM   #1889
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,564 Times in 1,867 Posts
Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
What exactly are you trying to monitor? Temps? Boost? I mostly look at oil temps so I just monitor using torque app since gauges are a bit "rice" for my taste.

I did look into monitoring oil pressure and boost at one point and was leaning towards the defi gauges and cravenspeed flexpod for a nice clean look.
Quote:
I'm using a p3cars vent gauge mostly for temps.
Yes, the p3cars vent gauges are also a good option if you don't want to use an app. If you opt for the pre-installed vent option, it is literally plug and play.
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigFatFlip For This Useful Post:
kidgogeta (11-28-2016)
Old 11-28-2016, 04:57 PM   #1890
GT86Asia

Quote:
I suggest you get an OBDII reader with bluetooth, that way you can use your phone, and you can place it on one of those belkin style mounts on the left air vent. I get my engine oil temp, IAM temp, coolant temp, and air volume intake.

It's much better than having any additional gauges on dashboard or A pillar.

First, if you put gagues on A pilar, you will die if you crash as there is an airbag that will shoot the gauges onto your face.

And if you get pulled over, cops can see your gauges wherever you put them in your dash, and plus you have to mod your dash, by either removing air vents, making holes on the dash, and needless mods like that.

There's absolutely no need for actual physical gauges. I mentioned cops, because at least in California if they see u got those gauges it is enough for them to claim reasonable suspicion and force u to open the hood, and then ur done for modifying your car, if ur stuff is not CARB certified.
The Following User Says Thank You to GT86Asia For This Useful Post:
kidgogeta (11-28-2016)