follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-10-2012, 10:03 PM   #1
jimmillion
Power Ranger Elite

Drives: '13 WRB Sport-tech
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Should one wait for the 2014/2015 model?

So, a lot of people on the forums have been quoted saying that they are planning to wait a couple of years to see how things play out.

Will Nissan finally step up and show us this 240zx reincarnation they've been hinting at?
Will Honda finally get the message and bring back the RSX, but this time with RWD?!
Whats mazda doing nowadays?
VW?

To be perfectly honest, companies will always be hinting at something better "in the near future" to try and keep peoples attention..... Wheres that hover car you've been promising?.... IMO you just have to pick the year for when you want to buy a car and say "What's gonna be available in this year, right now?" then go for it.

Something that everyone seems to be rooting for is a rock bottom low price for the BRZ/FRS. Since to me the the GT-R R35 is to supercars, as the Ft-86 is to sport cars. A great package at a below average price. If you use it as a case point then you can see a problem. Over the years Nissan has been upgrading the GT-R little by little each and every model year. Making it better and faster each year. What use to be an affordable supercar for $80K(USD) is now nearly in the $100K(USD) mark.

Price Reference: http://www.motortrend.com/new_cars/04/nissan/gt_r/

We are talking about a cult car here, so imagine how hard it will be to find a used 2013 6MT in the years following launch. will waiting play out in your favour?

This message has been brought to you by people who can't yet afford one, but at the same time to paranoid to stop thinking about it. =D

jimmillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:11 PM   #2
Bob
Hattori Hanzo's steel

Drives: Audi B5 A4 1.8TQM, Kia Forte 5dr
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
totally agree, especially the pie-in-the-sky promises a few years off. Were only here a short while, if you want the car and can afford it, get it!
Old 02-10-2012, 10:22 PM   #3
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Alot of people are sitting waiting to see special editions and Performance versions, We know Scion does RS, we know Subaru is cooking up something and is very tight lip. WE know it's going to be hard as hell to be the first people to get the car, so why struggle and fight over them when you know that one they will be rare on the first year, two if you didn't pre order you might have to pay a much higher premium. Not to mention with all the recalls going on for new cars, it's safe to take precautions.

For my point of view, if you can't afford it then you shouldn't even be thinking about it. If you really want the car and it doesn't really fight with the needs. Trust me you'll be able to afford it one way or another because you just got to have it.

No the note of Honda Don't expect them to come back and fight with RWD, another S maybe but not a RWD RSX. They have much more problems with their own econ box to worry even about the sports department, they've already created enough buzz with the NSX. That will keep them alive for a while, also in Japan articles have came up that they might try to take the version of the American Civic Si make it with abit more Honda dna and fight the 86 with that. Remember, Honda never was famous for it's RWD s2000 during the Coupe Era of the late 80's or the 90's the S came afterwards but what was kicking ass and taking names in that era was their Integra. If they were going to fight back count on another FF.

Nissan will likely watch and we know that VW is going to have a convertible soon. Not to mention Mazda's next plans for the Miata is something even lighter more affordable.

These cars will likely hold value like the S2000 or 350Z for sure, but there isn't anything wrong at all with waiting.

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:30 PM   #4
tachi1247

Drives: 04 BMW 330i & 03 Mazdaspeed Protege
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I will probably wait a year or so as there are always problems with new cars no matter who builds them. A brand new chasis with a brand new engine and a new suspension means some improvements will be made for subsequent years. Plus, I still believe a turbo version of the brz will be available in cy 2014 probably as an sti version.
tachi1247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:33 PM   #5
Chupacabra
'it's the yeti of Texas'

Drives: 2013 Whiteout 6MT FR-S
I will be getting it now, not later. Like others, I have been planning this purchase for about 3 months and will have another few months to finalize everything with this car.

Toyota and Subaru have worked hard enough for me to take a big, fat gulp of their purple Kool-Aid (red from Toyota and blue from Subaru)

Chupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:39 PM   #6
MannyO
Ninja Moderator

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupacabra View Post
I will be getting it now, not later. Like others, I have been planning this purchase for about 3 months and will have another few months to finalize everything with this car.
+1 on getting one ASAP.

Quote:
Toyota and Subaru have worked hard enough for me to take a big, fat gulp of their purple Kool-Aid (red from Toyota and blue from Subaru)

And that's hall of fame quote material in my book
MannyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:47 PM   #7
Chupacabra
'it's the yeti of Texas'

Drives: 2013 Whiteout 6MT FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyO View Post
+1 on getting one ASAP.

And that's hall of fame quote material in my book
Thanks MannyO! Feel free to use it, but I need credit everytime. Not for arrogance points, but only because your friends won't believe that a Chupacabra is on the internet participating in an auto forum.
Chupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:51 PM   #8
Kuzuri
__(X)__

Drives: '11 Legacy, '89 190E, '78 GS1000
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
im not waiting either. Ive been wanting this car for a long while. but now thats its closer than ever im getting SO excited. I dont want to wait for an RS or a turbo version..... IMO buying one N/A the first year and turbo'ing it yourself is much more respectable and "cool"... something that YOU do to the car will get props from me.
Kuzuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:33 PM   #9
subatoy

Drives: subatoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy View Post
im not waiting either. Ive been wanting this car for a long while. but now thats its closer than ever im getting SO excited. I dont want to wait for an RS or a turbo version..... IMO buying one N/A the first year and turbo'ing it yourself is much more respectable and "cool"... something that YOU do to the car will get props from me.

being there done that, turboing a car is fun until you have to deal with all the reliability crap, weird car behaviours, problems/issues and even blowing engines.
this engine's ratio is like it's designed to blow if you boost it.
I agree this car needs a freaking turbo but it won't take one without
MAJOR expensive upgrades.
subatoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:40 PM   #10
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Honestly, I'm a purist so I'm going to trust something that's right out of the factory and is tested with a good warranty. Than what stuff I can do to it, maybe it's because I got older and the mod bug in me is gone. I only want to do very few subtle things to my car, I'm a pragmatic person and I have other things I need to worry about. Doesn't mean I'm not a car guy and won't participate in club activities, I care first and foremost about what my needs are in the car and not to get "Props" from people.

I'm not ricing it out for attention, I'm not flushing it to join a culture, I'm not keeping it stock for resale. I'm making this car for me and me only. And if you're my friend and club members that know me they'll respect that and respect is much better than props.

I'm not saying your way is wrong, this car is made for everyone in every aspect. there is no single way of going about it. As long as you make the Car for you.. the driver, the owner. Because that's why they made this in the first place.

I'm probably speaking for a number of people when I say we're not getting the first years because we don't want to rush right into it, we want a database to work with and some sort of experience from the aftermarket, the manufacturer, and the enthusiast.

So I have alot of respect for the people who are getting the first year, you guys are the pioneers for something great. Thanks!

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:49 PM   #11
pete66

Drives: Mazda 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
yes
pete66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:53 PM   #12
Bob
Hattori Hanzo's steel

Drives: Audi B5 A4 1.8TQM, Kia Forte 5dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by subatoy View Post
being there done that, turboing a car is fun until you have to deal with all the reliability crap, weird car behaviours, problems/issues and even blowing engines.
this engine's ratio is like it's designed to blow if you boost it.
I agree this car needs a freaking turbo but it won't take one without
MAJOR expensive upgrades.
This is most of my reason for leaving the Audi behind. It's been a great car, and rock solid reliable, and is a blast to drive, but you really have to keep up with maintenance. I was constantly chasing boost leaks, weird boost level issues... even though I made it my business to do it right the first time. Really looking forward to having a car that's fun right from the manufacturer, and I'm looking forward to leaning a N/A power curve
Old 02-11-2012, 12:28 AM   #13
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaku View Post
Honestly, I'm a purist so I'm going to trust something that's right out of the factory and is tested with a good warranty. Than what stuff I can do to it, maybe it's because I got older and the mod bug in me is gone. I only want to do very few subtle things to my car, I'm a pragmatic person and I have other things I need to worry about. Doesn't mean I'm not a car guy and won't participate in club activities, I care first and foremost about what my needs are in the car and not to get "Props" from people.

I'm not ricing it out for attention, I'm not flushing it to join a culture, I'm not keeping it stock for resale. I'm making this car for me and me only. And if you're my friend and club members that know me they'll respect that and respect is much better than props.

I'm not saying your way is wrong, this car is made for everyone in every aspect. there is no single way of going about it. As long as you make the Car for you.. the driver, the owner. Because that's why they made this in the first place.

I'm probably speaking for a number of people when I say we're not getting the first years because we don't want to rush right into it, we want a database to work with and some sort of experience from the aftermarket, the manufacturer, and the enthusiast.

So I have alot of respect for the people who are getting the first year, you guys are the pioneers for something great. Thanks!
Agree with Chan 100% very well said.

Dealers will talk the car up about being hard to attain. But that lasts only the first few months. This is based on my experience and what other people on this forum say they've experienced with any new car launch. It's better to underproduce than overproduce in the beginning. Subie/Yota can react quickly in making production catch up to demand (unless some outside factor makes resources scarce).

For people hoping to snag a secondhand one, it shouldn't be that hard. The price-point makes it more attainable than most RWD coupes + marketing has been crazy so it'll be plentiful. Will original owners keep their cars? Not all, I don't think. Many bandwagon owners will jump out when they realize it's not for them for (feels too cheap, not enough power, etc.). The target age range is late 20's... a volatile age for car ownership. Some may suddenly get married, have their 1st child, buy their 1st house, or get a better job/car. This is not a practical car to keep and would be one of the 1st assets an owner would sell, if necessary.

Last edited by switchlanez; 02-11-2012 at 01:00 AM.
switchlanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:20 AM   #14
bestwheelbase

Drives: 1985 P-Type
Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,098 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Zaku, great post. Really captures the passion for these cars. The shared enthusiasm between owners goes beyond what modifications you have and whether or not you race/drift/whatever the car. We can all find common ground with such a versatile platform. It does something for everyone.

Now if we could just get official pricing & options...
bestwheelbase is offline   Reply With Quote