follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 07-21-2013, 02:10 PM   #15
bkblitzed
is better than you

Drives: 2013 raven FRS
Thanked 1,347 Times in 745 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
buy a crx. Those things are like go karts and hold their value well.
bkblitzed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bkblitzed For This Useful Post:
Shin (07-21-2013)
Old 07-21-2013, 02:56 PM   #16
Mandy
I came from a motorbike

Drives: Firestorm 2013 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Buy a motorcycle.

Why?
1) Cost nearly nothing (get a 250/300 or an older 600)
2) Easy to sell at little-to-no price hit
3) Deal with any need-for-speed doubts you would have with the FR-S
4) Because racebike
Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandy For This Useful Post:
Shin (07-21-2013), suaveflooder (07-21-2013)
Old 07-21-2013, 03:16 PM   #17
losjackal

Drives: FR-S 10-series #405
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
If money is that tight, consider buying a used FR-S. Can probably find one for $22k or less. Let someone else pay the initial premium for the brand-new car.
losjackal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to losjackal For This Useful Post:
Shin (07-21-2013)
Old 07-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #18
Shin

Drives: Highlander, Corolla, Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Thanks for all the responses, extremely helpful.

@mush
@thill
@Miniata
@ZmZMWagon
@bkblitzed

What model year would you guys recommend for the cars you suggested?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
I'd just get an FR-S now and deal with the higher payments. If you buy something else then trade it in, you're going to lose some money anyway.
The problem with the higher payments is that if for some odd reason my hours at work drop, I get about 38 hours a week and its not guaranteed, or I lose my job, there's no one able to cover me with payments that high. Talking 400-500$ a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PStaff716 View Post
Lease the frs and then buy it out.. I'm paying about $415 more to lease and then buy out my frs instead of just buying it from the get go...shit, four hundred bucks to delay paying more than I want to at the moment is perfect for me. I bought myself 3 years of time to finish up law school and then have bigger payments

A lot of ppl bash leasing. But for some of us it just makes sense. Spending the extra $415 is already worth it to me considering how happy this car makes me. Just my .02 cents
That's an interesting idea, I too always heard bad things about leasing, I'll have to check that one out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4wt View Post
unless you plan on paying that car off within that two year period, then you're more than likely going to be dealing with negative equity. that is never fun when going into a new car purchase.
Whichever car I get now, as long as it's under 15k otd, I'll have it paid off by the end of the year or latest early next year. And if you're referring to the FRS, I've driven it tons of times, including a few runs around an autox track during the scion frs first drive event, was a blast, even as an auto. 100% sure on this car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Yeah, I'm certainly not recommending that anyone do this, but I am saying this is exactly what I would do. No second thoughts here. And of course, that's under the assumption that I could. OP said he was saving up for the purpose of low payments and security, which leads me to believe he could if he chose.
You're right, I could. Able to afford 600$ a month on the car + insurance and I have a quote of 70$ on insurance so that leaves 530$ for payments. But to avoid the issue of no being able to pay my car if i lost hours or my job and ending up losing my car to the bank and screwing up my credit in the end, I wanted to save that money instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy View Post
I'm not sure what you want to spend, but anything that isn't a lot of money isn't likely to have much trade-in value a year or two from now. With that said, buy something older, but decent, and sell privately when it is time. I'd highly recommend looking for an '02-'05 Civic Si hatch. My wife had one for 10 years. Good little car, and despite being front wheel drive, the driving dynamics reminded me a lot of my FR-S.
Selling privately would be the better route to go, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy View Post
Buy a motorcycle.

Why?
1) Cost nearly nothing (get a 250/300 or an older 600)
2) Easy to sell at little-to-no price hit
3) Deal with any need-for-speed doubts you would have with the FR-S
4) Because racebike
I was actually considering this, but unfortunately I still live with my parents and my mom wouldn't agree to that due to the child of a friend of hers passing away while riding his bike. I'd have to move out to get a bike and that would cost me even more lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by losjackal View Post
If money is that tight, consider buying a used FR-S. Can probably find one for $22k or less. Let someone else pay the initial premium for the brand-new car.
That idea is actually what caused the initial idea to save, I was gonna wait till December, but then I saw that at the moment there really isn't any big price difference between used and new in my area. So I was gonna just go ahead and go for new. Maybe in a year or two there will be a significant difference.
Shin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:42 PM   #19
campy
No rice, no life

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Thanked 1,019 Times in 388 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
If you know you're going to get an FRS eventually, why not just buy something used and really cheap?
campy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to campy For This Useful Post:
Shin (07-21-2013)
Old 07-21-2013, 03:45 PM   #20
Frstorm

Drives: 2013 Firestorm
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Whichever car I get now, as long as it's under 15k otd, I'll have it paid off by the end of the year or latest early next year. And if you're referring to the FRS, I've driven it tons of times, including a few runs around an autox track during the scion frs first drive event, was a blast, even as an auto. 100% sure on this car.

Because of this why not keep money in savings if something happen to said job or pay more on every month and have them roll over the money to next payments so in reality you could have two years of payments pre paid or which I would recommend keep the extra money in savings and if unforeseen events happen you have the money.
Frstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frstorm For This Useful Post:
Shin (07-21-2013)
Old 07-21-2013, 03:53 PM   #21
Muaddib
Mentat

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS 6MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
That will depend on what kind of car do you "want". Do you want a rwd? or fwd? do you want something that is older or newer?. Do you care about truck space? Do you do mostly city or a combination of city & hwy.
Muaddib is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muaddib For This Useful Post:
Shin (07-21-2013)
Old 07-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #22
Shin

Drives: Highlander, Corolla, Asphalt FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by campy View Post
If you know you're going to get an FRS eventually, why not just buy something used and really cheap?
Well that's the goal of this thread, I'm just not trying to get a throw away money car that may break down on me. I'm definitely going used for this gap car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frstorm View Post

Because of this why not keep money in savings if something happen to said job or pay more on every month and have them roll over the money to next payments so in reality you could have two years of payments pre paid or which I would recommend keep the extra money in savings and if unforeseen events happen you have the money.
Because I wouldn't have a big amount to save directly for this car with the 400-500$ payments that I'd have if I bought it right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib View Post
That will depend on what kind of car do you "want". Do you want a rwd? or fwd? do you want something that is older or newer?. Do you care about truck space? Do you do mostly city or a combination of city & hwy.
I'm not really looking for any specific, just anything that won't be throw away money. As in won't cost me anymore than it needs to in losses before the inevitable trade in.
Shin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:05 PM   #23
Muaddib
Mentat

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS 6MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I would go for an older civic or corolla. It would be cheaper to buy and run. You will not get any trade in value by the time you are done. But you will be able to bank all the money that you saved towards the frs.
Muaddib is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muaddib For This Useful Post:
Shin (07-21-2013)
Old 07-21-2013, 04:15 PM   #24
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Celica GT or GT-S. They're old enough to have depreciated significantly, are fun to drive, reliable and great on gas
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daiheadjai For This Useful Post:
Shin (07-21-2013)
Old 07-21-2013, 06:32 PM   #25
bkblitzed
is better than you

Drives: 2013 raven FRS
Thanked 1,347 Times in 745 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
any 4 banger na car would be fine. Like others said you cant go wrong with a honda or toyota from the late 80's and 90's.
bkblitzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:36 AM   #26
jeffchap

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Raven 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Honda Fit. I paid $16,570 for mine new in 2009. It got totalled in a hailstorm last April, which is when I got my FR-S. The insurance company settled for $14,800. So basically, I drove it for 3 1/2 years for less than $2000 depreciation.

This is not an isolated case. I've seen them on used lots for more than I paid new. And it's a very fun car to drive to boot! It has a lot more soul to it than a Civic (which I also own), as long as you stick with a manual tranny.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:57 AM   #27
supra2nv

Drives: 10 Series TRD
Thanked 1,169 Times in 700 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
you should buy a Raven FRS...a manual one...one from California. I hear one is for sale.

Wave Particle Duality
supra2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:23 AM   #28
pmdc

Drives: Raven FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Step 1: Learn to play poker to guarantee you can come up with 400/month if you're out of work
Step 2: Buy your FRS
Step 3: Go to college driving a wicked car
Step 4: Profit

When I was in university, even my heavily modded 92 integra (stock exterior other than nicer, non-rice head/tail lights, and a fresh paint job) had some.. added perks. An FRS back then would have been glorious.
pmdc is offline   Reply With Quote