follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 06-30-2016, 04:44 PM   #29
Harlock

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth15 View Post
Sorry if I'm reviving a dead thread. Did you have any exhaust modifications? My noise started after auto x and before I had my catback installed. Not sure if it's coincidental or if something during autox caused it. Car had 1400 miles at the time. Like you it was only in certain ranges, though mine seemed to stop after 4k. Also had a honking whirring kinda noise and it still occurred when stationary while revving. Seems to only occur when the car is hot, that's not consistent either. I think it might be the TO bearing. It hasn't gotten any worse and I'm at 8k miles...

I'm thinking about doing a header and a tune soon, but I want to make sure my trans is solid first. 2nd gear is a bit knotchy and makes a bit of a thud when cold. 5th is consistently knotchy. Also had a weird sucking noise at high rpm with the AC on randomly. Sounds like a taser mixed with a vacuum. Idk how else to describe it. That only happens occasionally...
This started a day after I did a full exhaust upgrade. I'd get under your car ,after letting it warm up and revving it a few times, and look for condensation at the connection points; that's how I found mine. Fixed that and the noises disappeared.

That "honking" noise, does it sound like a low pitch "whoop"? I'm sure there's a thread on here about that. just keep in mind, what you were doing when this happened. It'll help narrow things down.

For the notchiness, try letting your car warm up and settle a tad longer.

that's my 2 cents.
Harlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 06:36 PM   #30
C4RBON

Drives: '15 BRZ, '19 GTI
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Me Too...

My 2015 BRZ makes this noise occasionally. The first time I heard it was the day after I bought the car (new). After two years, it has become more frequent (or at least I notice it more).

The condition it happens most repeatably is after I've been cruising on the highway for a long time (like an hour or longer). If I exit the highway, the next several times I accelerate (at a light or stop sign) under moderate load, it makes this noise. The noise starts between 3000 and 3500 rpm and goes away above 4500 rpm.

- It does it with 91 or 93 octane, regardless of brand.
- As someone else said, it sounds like it is coming directly in front of the driver but not inside the cabin.
- I don't notice a loss of power, but I lift off the throttle when I hear this.
- After the car cools down (like overnight) it won't do it again for a long time (until I'm on the highway for a long time again).
- Ambient temperature doesn't seems to matter, it happens in the summer and winter.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeVtZQNu_Ss"]BRZ Engine Noise 3500-4500 rpm - YouTube[/ame]

I remember searching on here two years ago after this happened the first time. It appears there are a few of us now with this issue. I brought my car to the dealer today to look at it, and they couldn't reproduce the noise (no surprise).
C4RBON is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to C4RBON For This Useful Post:
radroach (04-26-2017)
Old 08-30-2016, 07:06 PM   #31
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by C4RBON View Post
The condition it happens most repeatably is after I've been cruising on the highway for a long time (like an hour or longer). If I exit the highway, the next several times I accelerate (at a light or stop sign) under moderate load, it makes this noise. The noise starts between 3000 and 3500 rpm and goes away above 4500 rpm.
Read my previous post here. It's that spring. Prove it for yourself. The next time you get that sound, keep your engine speed steady and just tap the clutch pedal.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:25 PM   #32
C4RBON

Drives: '15 BRZ, '19 GTI
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Read my previous post here. It's that spring. Prove it for yourself. The next time you get that sound, keep your engine speed steady and just tap the clutch pedal.
I'll definitely try that. So the theory is the spring is at some kind of resonance in that RPM band? How did you determine this is the issue?
C4RBON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:34 PM   #33
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4RBON View Post
I'll definitely try that. So the theory is the spring is at some kind of resonance in that RPM band? How did you determine this is the issue?
Well, it's still a theory for your noise, confirmed for mine. I had read about it in another thread and did exactly what I'm suggesting to you.

I wonder if that spring isn't just a touch too short. A lot of effort went into designing the lightest possible clutch pedal. This could be a consequence.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:11 PM   #34
MotoGrapher

Drives: 2014 White BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I forgot about this thread. I found mine. It turned out to be the clutch master return spring. Amazing considering how loud it gets when it's happening. I just tap/touch my foot on the clutch pedal and 'poof,' it's gone.

Hello, sorry if this is a dead thread...
I recently had the same issue... If that was the spring, what was your fix?
MotoGrapher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:33 PM   #35
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoGrapher View Post
Hello, sorry if this is a dead thread...
I recently had the same issue... If that was the spring, what was your fix?
No fix. I just tap the clutch pedal and move on. I would look into it if it wasn't such a rare occurrence.

After going back and listening to @C4RBON's clip again, I'll change my mind about his noise. I think I was reaching. The noise I get is much louder and obnoxious.

How loud is yours?
Old 04-26-2017, 07:04 PM   #36
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Can confirm I've had this sound a couple times coming off the highway. I always thought it was aggressive vvt changeover noise, but if it's just the clutch spring then that's a relief!
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:28 PM   #37
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by radroach View Post
Can confirm I've had this sound a couple times coming off the highway. I always thought it was aggressive vvt changeover noise, but if it's just the clutch spring then that's a relief!
I don't think so anymore. I hate to be wishy washy but I think it's way more important to keep it real.

I know in my case it is the clutch spring. When it kicks in it's really obnoxious, much worse than that last clip but close to the second one.

Do you have a tune because I'm stock and don't get the vvt noise.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:08 PM   #38
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
@Ultramaroon No, stock. Both times were from coming off the interstate after a 3 hour drive and driving around 30-35 mph in 3rd gear, rattle like my cams were woodpeckers. It could have been that I was low on oil, since my first year I spread out my intervals sometimes to 8000 miles. Haven't had it happen since 2013-14, but it's definitely abnormal when it happened.

The 2nd video that @rburrow87 made shows it perfectly, though in my case my sounds were lighter since I was just cruising and maintaining speeds 30-35, and when I'd reach a certain rpm it would rattle like that.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to radroach For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (04-26-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 11:39 PM   #39
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by radroach View Post
@Ultramaroon No, stock. Both times were from coming off the interstate after a 3 hour drive and driving around 30-35 mph in 3rd gear, rattle like my cams were woodpeckers. It could have been that I was low on oil, since my first year I spread out my intervals sometimes to 8000 miles. Haven't had it happen since 2013-14, but it's definitely abnormal when it happened.

The 2nd video that @rburrow87 made shows it perfectly, though in my case my sounds were lighter since I was just cruising and maintaining speeds 30-35, and when I'd reach a certain rpm it would rattle like that.
Hmmm... Maybe it is your clutch spring. That would be awesome.

Every time for me it was super hot underneath the hood.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:12 AM   #40
MotoGrapher

Quote:
No fix. I just tap the clutch pedal and move on. I would look into it if it wasn't such a rare occurrence.

After going back and listening to @C4RBON's clip again, I'll change my mind about his noise. I think I was reaching. The noise I get is much louder and obnoxious.

How loud is yours?
Mine is pretty much the same as the clip... and it happened every time I passed 3100 RPM
Old 04-27-2017, 12:17 AM   #41
MotoGrapher

Quote:

How loud is yours?
And it happened only when I gave 70% to 100% throttle, if just gentle acceleration, I couldn't hear the noise.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:10 AM   #42
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoGrapher View Post
And it happened only when I gave 70% to 100% throttle, if just gentle acceleration, I couldn't hear the noise.
You'll just check it the next time it happens. Don't hold your breath though. I think I'm out to lunch here.