follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 02-12-2016, 05:35 PM   #15
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,478 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
If I'm understanding everyone's descriptions properly, they don't affect the ride height, because they don't shift the SPRING mounting point (which is what the car really sits on.)
Minor correction, they do actually shift the spring mounting point from OE top hats, I'll definitely try to post a picture of the OE rears later, but it's inconsequential for every height adjustable coilover I've seen as you can easily move the spring perch up to compensate.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Stang70Fastback (02-12-2016)
Old 02-12-2016, 05:41 PM   #16
killboy

Drives: 1FRS, 1 BRZ, 2S2000s, Evo8, Dak.R/T
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I haven't driven on the Ohlins, so I can't compare, but I can say that a lot of people don't realize what you get with the KW V3s. They have low and high speed compression valving. That is huge...it's like the holy grail of suspension. Normally to get separate lo/hi speed compression valving, you need Motons or high end Ohlins stuff. The reason KW can do it so cheap, is because the high speed compression is not adjustable like on those more expensive setup. They use a fixed valve.

"So what does this mean for me?" It means that when your car goes over bumps and potholes in the road, harsh "high speed" events, there is a separate valve that cracks open and absorbs that impact. Normally that bigger valve stays closed, and the tighter "low speed" valving is controlling things, like body roll and brake dive, and that one is adjustable. So what you get is a car that handles like it has tight suspension, but rides like it has soft suspension. Plus it is more able to soak up mid-corner bumps while pushing it than typical stiff suspension.

We have V3s on one of our S2000s and they are impressive, although they are also a bit soft all around, and the clubsports are a better performance version as I understand it. Hope that helps!
Old 02-12-2016, 06:02 PM   #17
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by killboy View Post
I haven't driven on the Ohlins, so I can't compare, but I can say that a lot of people don't realize what you get with the KW V3s. They have low and high speed compression valving. That is huge...it's like the holy grail of suspension. Normally to get separate lo/hi speed compression valving, you need Motons or high end Ohlins stuff. The reason KW can do it so cheap, is because the high speed compression is not adjustable like on those more expensive setup. They use a fixed valve.

"So what does this mean for me?" It means that when your car goes over bumps and potholes in the road, harsh "high speed" events, there is a separate valve that cracks open and absorbs that impact. Normally that bigger valve stays closed, and the tighter "low speed" valving is controlling things, like body roll and brake dive, and that one is adjustable. So what you get is a car that handles like it has tight suspension, but rides like it has soft suspension. Plus it is more able to soak up mid-corner bumps while pushing it than typical stiff suspension.

We have V3s on one of our S2000s and they are impressive, although they are also a bit soft all around, and the clubsports are a better performance version as I understand it. Hope that helps!
That helps quite a bit. Sounds like the high speed valve is essentially an "overpressure" valve that opens when the strut is violently compressed, which allows the fluid to move more quickly, thereby helping to absorb the jolt. That's good to know.

I think I'm leaning towards the V3s. I could keep going for better and better options, but I'm not sure if it's really worth the price differential unless I was doing a lot of tracking and planning on constantly tweaking the suspension all the time. Plus the money I save on the V3s I can put towards some good LCAs. I definitely am not interested in the MP20 Ohlins if they are softer than stock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
...a 1 inch drop mount does make more sense, although I'd probably stick with stock if you plan on just a 1 inch drop overall.
Sounds like I'd just want to leave the OEM rear strut mounts, then. I'm fine with that.

So this is what I'm thinking at this point for a setup that will be good for DD use, and adequate for a bit of autocross and track use:

Coilovers: KW V3
Front Camber Plates: Raceseng
Rear Strut Mounts: OEM
Rear LCAs: Stance V1.0 (20mm drop)

Total Cost: $3,162.98 shipped

Rear LCAs are the last thing I need to decide on. I'm told the most important thing is that they have an Aurora bearing, as that will "outlast the life of the car" as compared with... not an Aurora bearing. Just looking on ft86speedfactory alone I see, like, 10 different LCAs to choose from, and I have no idea where to begin. They all seem to be around the $500 mark. Seems like it's just down to what color you want, or which manufacturer you want to support (I just want black! I hate the look of bright, colored LCAs poking out under the car. Just makes it look like the rear bumper is too short.) I'm told I should just get the Stance ones. At least they're a dark brown color, and they have the Aurora bearing.

I was looking at the Stance LCAs and they have 2 versions: One of them raises the hub 20mm, and the other raises it 60mm. I'm assuming the 60mm one is for slammed cars. From the description:

Quote:
The Stance Lower Control Arms are designed to raise the hub mounting point about 20mm when compared to stock, which lowers the car about 25mm. This allows for longer stroke dampers found on the Stance FR-S application, and have more height adjustment range. This design is especially helpful for 1-way height adjustable coilovers like KW, which lose stroke as you lower the car.
This sounds like what I would want, especially if I'm going with KW coilovers...?

http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/stan...l#.Vr5rN_krJhE

Last edited by Stang70Fastback; 02-13-2016 at 08:51 AM.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 07:54 PM   #18
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,478 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Stock rear top hats with Bilstein springs, compare the plane where it bolts to the chassis and where the spring sits to the images above, the spring will be moved up towards the chassis a good ~1" on the raceseng top hat, not a bat thing for height adjustable coilovers.

strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (10-19-2018)
Old 02-13-2016, 12:09 PM   #19
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

I wound up ordering the Raceseng front camber plates, and the Velox STX rear LCAs. I'll be ordering KW V3s in a few weeks. Between those three things, am I missing anything that I will need to perform this install myself (other than the requisite tools), or is there anything else that is highly recommended to replace at the same time?

Really appreciate everyone's input. Made the decision easier, and made me more confident that I chose the right parts!
Old 02-13-2016, 05:18 PM   #20
whataboutbob
AutoX-10/10ths every run

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Firestorm
Thanked 1,840 Times in 1,000 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Garage
I'd get at least 1 set of these to put under the front springs to prevent spring bind when turning the front wheels.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/eib-trb250/overview/

[ Delicioustuning | Counterspacegarage | RS-R USA | Cusco USA | SPL Parts | ACE Header | Stark Performance | Infinite Motion | Ciro Racing | Build thread:Here ]
[ GR Corolla Core in White w/LSDs on wish list ]
whataboutbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 05:29 PM   #21
e1_griego

Drives: Many
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
^If you run a radial bearing in the upper spring perch (like the Raceseng ones) you don't need those.

Also, those torrington bearings tend to get pretty cruddy if you street drive them, especially in the weather. Radial bearing upper mount is a much more elegant solution.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to e1_griego For This Useful Post:
Stang70Fastback (02-13-2016)
Old 02-13-2016, 06:29 PM   #22
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Hooray! Glad I got the Raceseng camber plates then
Old 02-14-2016, 05:43 AM   #23
cookiesowns

Drives: WRB BRZ Series.Blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by killboy View Post
Where is this magical V3 that you speak of with, high & low speed comp adjustments?

V3's only have separate rebound & compression, no low speed compression adjustment.

The Racecomp Tarmac 3 which is based on the KW Clubsport 3 way, has 3 way adjustments for rebound, and high/low compression.
cookiesowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 07:28 PM   #24
killboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiesowns View Post
Where is this magical V3 that you speak of with, high & low speed comp adjustments?

V3's only have separate rebound & compression, no low speed compression adjustment.

The Racecomp Tarmac 3 which is based on the KW Clubsport 3 way, has 3 way adjustments for rebound, and high/low compression.
You literally quoted the text that answers your question. Try reading.

Here, I'll make it even clearer:

Quote:
"The high speed compression is not adjustable like on those more expensive setup. They use a fixed valve."
If you want to research it, feel free. There is a good explanation in the "Compression Damping" section here:

https://robrobinette.com/S2000KWV3.htm
Old 02-14-2016, 10:49 PM   #25
AKBrrrrrrrrZ

Drives: 02 Celica GT
Quote:

I can get a set of V3s through ft86speedfactory for $1899 shipped!
Was going through the same thought process as you and wondered how you were getting this deal on the V3s? That is a great price!!!
AKBrrrrrrrrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 11:06 PM   #26
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKBrrrrrrrrZ View Post
Was going through the same thought process as you and wondered how you were getting this deal on the V3s? That is a great price!!!
Just use coupon code KWV3 in the cart
(This isn't some sort of secret, it's actually posted in the product description, lol.)
The Following User Says Thank You to Stang70Fastback For This Useful Post:
killboy (02-14-2016)
Old 02-14-2016, 11:41 PM   #27
killboy

Quote:
(This isn't some sort of secret, it's actually posted in the product description, lol.)
Reading comprehension discount!
Old 02-14-2016, 11:43 PM   #28
AKBrrrrrrrrZ

Drives: 02 Celica GT
Quote:
Lol thanks I had just been skimming prices quickly and hadn't read the descriptions
AKBrrrrrrrrZ is offline   Reply With Quote