follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 08-26-2019, 08:39 AM   #15
MichaelBrown86

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Well, I don't think my wife is happy with me... Haha!

I went and got a TRD catback exhaust to match my TRD intake.

It's a bit louder with the Tomei UEL Headers + Overpipe. I still have the stock front pipe, so I'm sure it could be louder, but overall, the sound is great. I can really hear the boxer-growl now.
Attached Images

Build Thread:
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133150
MichaelBrown86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:40 AM   #16
MichaelBrown86

Garage
A bit of an update: I decided to focus on some small/misc. pieces before purchasing anything big (Turbo, Supercharger, etc). Just some little things that would improve the overall feel of the car.

Transmission and Differential fluid change w/ Motul Gear 300 75W90 Synthetic Fluid

White Line steering rack bushings

White Line rear diff. carrier bushing inserts

White Line rear subframe bushing inserts

White Line transmission bushing insert

TorqueSolutions short shifter

Perrin shifter bushing

3DMAXpider front floormats

Black spline-type lug nuts + studs

Build Thread:

Last edited by MichaelBrown86; 03-16-2020 at 09:46 AM.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:56 AM   #17
ArchReactor86

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Does the Perrin shifter bushing fix the shifting issues? I have a 2013 and 2nd gear is super hard to use. Was wondering if it did anything.
ArchReactor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 03:51 PM   #18
MichaelBrown86

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchReactor86 View Post
Does the Perrin shifter bushing fix the shifting issues? I have a 2013 and 2nd gear is super hard to use. Was wondering if it did anything.
I never really had an issue with shifting to be honest, but the bushing did tighten shifts up quite a bit.

Also, Update: I decided that I hated the TorqueSolutions short shifter (seriously bad quality)

So I'm returning it and swapping it out with the IRP V3 Short Shifter, (I'll also return the Perrin bushing because the IRP kit removes the carrier which utilizes it) but the Perrin bushing was nice.

(PM me for further questions please)

Update: Oh man! I'm so glad I got this IRP Shifter! Absolutely Amazing! I highly recommend this to anyone. Yes, the price is a bit steep, and the install is a little more involved than your standard short shifter, but totally worth it!
Attached Images

Build Thread:

Last edited by MichaelBrown86; 10-17-2019 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:30 AM   #19
MichaelBrown86

Garage
So, as stated in the beginning, my BRZ is my daily-driver.

That being said, it has to be comfortable enough for my commute to work, and my wife has to approve when we go out for date-night.

After the TRD cat-back, she wasn't very happy. Lots of drone, and it was a little loud. So I decided to try and remedy the situation by adding a second resonator to the front pipe.

As luck would have it, the self-serve shop that I go to had an extra OEM front-pipe lying around after someone installed an aftermarket one. They know me pretty well there, so they let me cut out the resonator (leaving the cat, that they actually wanted).

After finding a suitable spot for the resonator that wouldn't interfere with the chassis or any moving parts, we cut/welded it in.

Thoughts: The volume didn't decrease that much, as resonators are more focused on cancelling out noises, instead of reducing volume. But oh man! The drone is gone!

I'm still gonna keep an eye out for other solutions that might reduce the volume just a little bit more, but for now, i'm very happy.
Attached Images

Build Thread:
Old 10-17-2019, 11:29 AM   #20
MichaelBrown86

Garage
Just a few more comfort mods.

First, I added the armrest offered on the JDM vehicles. It feels really nice to be able to just rest my arm on long drives or sitting at traffic lights.

Second, I placed a bit of sound deadening around the underside to reduce noise from the drive train (Does a pretty good job).

Ofcourse, I'm not quite finished with my sound deadening, I still have the front half to complete whenever I get time. Highly recommend it. Worth every ounce.
Attached Images

Build Thread:
Old 10-17-2019, 11:53 AM   #21
DaSilva3525

Drives: 2013 Brz
Nice build so far, thought out and clean! I will never understand giving into a woman over personal items that "said" man works hard for / really enjoys but hey each their own.

Most people make it louder so they don't even want to get in it lol.
DaSilva3525 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaSilva3525 For This Useful Post:
MichaelBrown86 (11-25-2019)
Old 10-17-2019, 01:11 PM   #22
MasterBandit

Drives: Scion 2015 FR-S
Very nice build. I am in the same boat as you. Just got my new-to-me 2015 FR-S 57k miles.

Can you post current pictures of your BRZ?

Also, have you done anything else cosmetic besides the lights?
MasterBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MasterBandit For This Useful Post:
MichaelBrown86 (11-25-2019)
Old 10-17-2019, 01:12 PM   #23
MasterBandit

Drives: Scion 2015 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSilva3525 View Post
Nice build so far, thought out and clean! I will never understand giving into a woman over personal items that "said" man works hard for / really enjoys but hey each their own.

Most people make it louder so they don't even want to get in it lol.
This might help

https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...?term=Mandilon
MasterBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 08:55 AM   #24
MichaelBrown86

Garage
I figured i'd add an update to what I've done to my BRZ over the past few weekends.

First up was a budget brake upgrade from Rock Auto: FHI WRX 4-piston fixed calipers ($140/caliper) + F&R StopTech stainless steel brake lines.
(side-note 1: If you have Enkei RPF1's 17x9 +45, you will need a 5mm space to clear the calipers)
(side-note 2: The FHI WRX brakes are a nice caliper upgrade because of their obviously low cost compared to the Brembo's, and you also lose approximately 2lbs per caliper compared to stock)
(side-note 3: Part #'s for each caliper are: NUGEON 9701335B & NUGEON 9701335A. No brackets needed for install. They are 2006-2007 Impreza brakes.)

And finally, I installed the OEM cat-back exhaust and sold the TRD cat-back. It was just a little too loud for me; the volume, the drone, etc. Maybe i'm just getting older?

I also have a request; I want most of this thread to be filled with helpful info and updates, not random comments/questions. If you have questions, please just PM me. I'll gladly answer any of your questions. I was just hoping to keep this thread as more of a journal than a chat. Thank you.
Attached Images

Build Thread:

Last edited by MichaelBrown86; 03-13-2020 at 07:47 AM.
Old 02-17-2020, 12:13 PM   #25
SON1C

Drives: 2015 Series Blue BRZ WRB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBrown86 View Post
I never really had an issue with shifting to be honest, but the bushing did tighten shifts up quite a bit.

Also, Update: I decided that I hated the TorqueSolutions short shifter (seriously bad quality)

So I'm returning it and swapping it out with the IRP V3 Short Shifter, (I'll also return the Perrin bushing because the IRP kit removes the carrier which utilizes it) but the Perrin bushing was nice.

(PM me for further questions please)

Update: Oh man! I'm so glad I got this IRP Shifter! Absolutely Amazing! I highly recommend this to anyone. Yes, the price is a bit steep, and the install is a little more involved than your standard short shifter, but totally worth it!
So is the IRP scca solo STX legal?
SON1C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 12:41 PM   #26
MichaelBrown86

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SON1C View Post
So is the IRP scca solo STX legal?
I've looked over the 2019 SOLO Rules and under Chapter 14, section 10, Line G, it states:

"Any mechanical shift linkage may be used."

Sounds good to me.

Build Thread:
Old 02-19-2020, 03:31 PM   #27
ka-titties

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBrown86 View Post
I figured i'd add an update to what I've done to my BRZ over the past few weekends.

First up was a budget brake upgrade from Rock Auto: FHI WRX 4-piston fixed calipers ($140/caliper) + F&R StopTech stainless steel brake lines.
(side-note 1: If you have Enkei RPF1's 17x9 +45, you will need a 5mm space to clear the calipers)
(side-note 2: The FHI WRX brakes are a nice caliper upgrade because of their obviously low cost compared to the Brembo's, and you also lose approximately 2lbs per caliper compared to stock)

Next up was to fix a leaking valve-stem on one of my RPF1's. I would lose 10 PSI over night, and had to keep pumping it up every morning until I finally fixed it over the weekend.

And finally, I installed the OEM cat-back exhaust and sold the TRD cat-back. It was just a little too loud for me; the volume, the drone, etc. Maybe i'm just getting older?

I also have a request; I want most of this thread to be filled with helpful info and updates, not random comments/questions. If you have questions, please just PM me. I'll gladly answer any of your questions. I was just hoping to keep this thread as more of a journal than a chat. Thank you.
What year/model do you search for on RockAuto for the brakes? Any bracket needed to install?
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 09:40 AM   #28
MichaelBrown86

Garage
A small update:

I've swapped out the OEM Trans Mount + Whiteline Insert setup for a Megan Racing Trans Mount.

I felt like the shifts could feel ever so slightly more positive with a mount that didn't have a cavity (even if filled with an insert). My suspicions were correct, even though the the new mount introduced an ever so slight increase to NVH during cold mornings, it quiets back down after a few minutes of driving.

I also replaced the rear tag-lights and fog lights with LED's. Nothing crazy, but i'm now able to say "All exterior lights are either LED or HID". Now, I guess I have to work on interior lights.
Attached Images

Build Thread: