follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 11-14-2016, 11:18 AM   #1821
taiguy

Drives: 2013 Black BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox View Post
Damn. Well I would push for that. They've been making that a staple of their sales pitch and I haven't seen anything on here that says they had changed that offer. Great company so I'm sure they will make it right. If you are self installing definitely go back and read dos and donts. I would recommend getting it professionally done if you want to utilize the warranty. Otherwise read the DIY and have fun 👌🏽 no other parts needed it's an amazing kit right out of the box.
Disagree - they need at a minimum another hose clamp for the evap solenoid.
taiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to taiguy For This Useful Post:
Silverfox (11-15-2016)
Old 11-14-2016, 08:52 PM   #1822
SooNomi

Drives: 2016 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Correct, I have verified with them, so total savings is $1500 for the blemished models.
Not quite as good a deal but Delicious Tuning currently has a 10% off sale until Nov. 18 which appears to include the Edelbrock Superchargers listed in their store. These would be unblemished units that qualify for the $500 Edelbrock Rebate.
SooNomi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SooNomi For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (11-15-2016)
Old 11-14-2016, 09:00 PM   #1823
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,176 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
I don't believe the Delicious 10% includes Edelbrock kits, only Delicious products.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Silverfox (11-14-2016)
Old 11-15-2016, 12:10 AM   #1824
menikmati

Drives: 2015 BRZ, 2005 STI
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Received my CARB tune via email this morning and flashed the car.

Took it out for a test drive to check for leaks of any kind and for belt clearance. The throttle body outlet hose gets pretty close to the AC compressor pulley but Edelbrock states in the manual that 6mm of clearance should be sufficient.

On the commute I drove it the same exact way as I usually do and did notice the power when entering a freeway onramp and moderately accelerating in general. I mostly drove like a grandma so in those low-throttle casual driving scenarios I did not notice a big difference in power delivery, so I was able to drive normally without a problem.

I did notice one thing, it is more difficult to rev-match. When I tried to do the usual blip, the revs only jumped up about half the RPMs (only around 2-300 RPM) and resulted in jerky downshifts. In order for a smooth rev-match downshift, I had to give it quite a big stab of the throttle (felt like 75% throttle) in order to get the RPMs to climb up enough. I figured it was due to the "dead pedal" throttle immediately after ECU flashing but I want to be sure that I didn't make a mechanical mistake anywhere. I performed the "dead pedal fix" but it didn't solve the problem. I do hear the supercharger for a split second during the blip.

Upon initial startup, I noticed that the idle would bounce back and forth between 6-700 and 1100 RPM before settling after about 30 seconds of idling.

I also did not throw any codes or have any other issues after installation.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by menikmati; 11-15-2016 at 12:25 AM.
menikmati is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to menikmati For This Useful Post:
Silverfox (11-15-2016)
Old 11-15-2016, 12:37 AM   #1825
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,176 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Let the tune learn for a bit. Keep driving it!
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 01:13 AM   #1826
Silverfox

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ, Edelbrock SC, E-85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Considering the JR dual radiator/oil cooler as my next upgrade. Anything new coming out I'm not tracking that I should wait for ?

Suggested catch cans?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Silverfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 02:00 AM   #1827
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
I did notice one thing, it is more difficult to rev-match. When I tried to do the usual blip, the revs only jumped up about half the RPMs (only around 2-300 RPM) and resulted in jerky downshifts. In order for a smooth rev-match downshift, I had to give it quite a big stab of the throttle (felt like 75% throttle) in order to get the RPMs to climb up enough. I figured it was due to the "dead pedal" throttle immediately after ECU flashing but I want to be sure that I didn't make a mechanical mistake anywhere. I performed the "dead pedal fix" but it didn't solve the problem. I do hear the supercharger for a split second during the blip.
FWIW, I do notice this same thing happening once in a while on my DT tune, but very rarely, like in instances where I misjudge a downshift and only partially blip the throttle.

Quote:
Upon initial startup, I noticed that the idle would bounce back and forth between 6-700 and 1100 RPM before settling after about 30 seconds of idling
Funny enough, I get this with my DT tune but never on my CARB tune
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 12:21 PM   #1828
DeliciousTuning
PhoneFlash by EcuTeK

Drives: Edelbrock Equipped - Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,682 Times in 581 Posts
Mentioned: 403 Post(s)
Quote:
Upon initial startup, I noticed that the idle would bounce back and forth between 6-700 and 1100 RPM before settling after about 30 seconds of idling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post
Funny enough, I get this with my DT tune but never on my CARB tune
Well these cars are pretty particular at idle and we have seen a wide range of FR-S, BRZ and 86's have solid idle and some do not. Of course this depends on additional mods also but idle is a pain in the butt in general.

Cheers,
William Knose
DeliciousTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeliciousTuning For This Useful Post:
BigFatFlip (11-15-2016), menikmati (11-15-2016)
Old 11-15-2016, 12:36 PM   #1829
menikmati

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousTuning View Post
Well these cars are pretty particular at idle and we have seen a wide range of FR-S, BRZ and 86's have solid idle and some do not. Of course this depends on additional mods also but idle is a pain in the butt in general.

Cheers,
William Knose
Thanks for the information.

I ran your Delicious Stage 1 FF tune for 2 months (from Zach) and had a pretty stable idle.

I just wanted to make sure that the fluctuating idle isn't some sort of vacuum leak.
Old 11-15-2016, 12:53 PM   #1830
DeliciousTuning
PhoneFlash by EcuTeK

Drives: Edelbrock Equipped - Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,682 Times in 581 Posts
Mentioned: 403 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for the information.

I ran your Delicious Stage 1 FF tune for 2 months (from Zach) and had a pretty stable idle.

I just wanted to make sure that the fluctuating idle isn't some sort of vacuum leak.
For most forced induction applications usually if there is a severe enough vacuum leak the idle will actually increase to 1200-1500 RPM's and stay there.

On our NA tunes though if there is a vacuum leak you will see it in the Air/Fuel Correction #1. It will actually try to correct and add in 20+ fuel or more. When something like this is happening then there is a good chance of a vacuum leak some where.

Cheers,
William Knose
DeliciousTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeliciousTuning For This Useful Post:
menikmati (11-15-2016)
Old 11-15-2016, 03:40 PM   #1831
VeganGirl

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
This may be a stupid question but is the edelbrock tune only for 91 gas? Do they make one from 93? Or is it backwards compatible? Can I use 93 gas on the tune for 91? Trying to decide if I should use their tune or let local tuner do his thang, are there pros and cons?
VeganGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 04:16 PM   #1832
NotSoJDM

Drives: '13 BRZ | '04 E55
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganGirl View Post
This may be a stupid question but is the edelbrock tune only for 91 gas? Do they make one from 93? Or is it backwards compatible? Can I use 93 gas on the tune for 91? Trying to decide if I should use their tune or let local tuner do his thang, are there pros and cons?
You can run 93 on a 91 tune, but not the other way around.

I was an early adopter of the kit, so things may have changed since I bought mine. But, I started on the CARB tune, and was not satisfied with the drive-ability. There were revisions coming out to fix some of the issues people were having, but I wasn't really looking to wait. Part of my issues may have been caused by not being on the factory header.

I ended up going with the Delicious FNG tune, which made sense for a couple of reasons for me. Primarily because I was running an aftermarket header and some other bits, and wanted to make the most of the tune. Second, I had planned (and did) to go with E85, requiring a new tune anyways.

If you already have ECUtek on your car and the cable, you could go with the Edelbrock kit w/o tuner, and just get a custom map for less than the kit w/ tuner.
NotSoJDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 01:27 PM   #1833
menikmati

Still having weak throttle blips when attempting to rev-match downshift.

When idling and stationary, throttle blips are quick, responsive and around 1k RPM increase, but when in motion and trying to rev-match, blips are less responsive and smaller (300-500 RPM, if that). It's difficult to get a decent, consistent, 1k RPM blip. If I do a real deliberate and longer blip, then the revs skyrocket quickly.

I loosened and re-torqued the supercharger idler pulley to 18-ft/lbs per Edelbrock spec to see if I overtightened it.

I have a Grimmspeed lightweight crank pulley, maybe it's causing the lack of free-revving when the car is in motion? I would think it would be the opposite, but the supercharger pulley could be slowing the crank pulley down a lot faster, resulting in a lower blip.
Old 11-16-2016, 02:49 PM   #1834
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Still having weak throttle blips when attempting to rev-match downshift.

When idling and stationary, throttle blips are quick, responsive and around 1k RPM increase, but when in motion and trying to rev-match, blips are less responsive and smaller (300-500 RPM, if that). It's difficult to get a decent, consistent, 1k RPM blip. If I do a real deliberate and longer blip, then the revs skyrocket quickly.
I would guess throttle mapping? Although the throttle mapping on the CARB tune is very similar to stock, imho it feels a tad bit "softer". Going from the CARB tune to the DT tune, I was really surprised how "touchie" the throttle was. Great for spirited driving, a little too jerky for daily driving. I've gone used to it since, so I've been driving around with the DT tune.
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote