follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 11-23-2014, 02:00 PM   #57
CSG David

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
When you've played with different suspension kits on multiple platforms, the tuning philosophy between different manufacturer's are apparent. They might feel good to you but that doesnt mean you have had the chance to try something else that is better or worse. Make sure to work with your vendor on dialing your suspension. It is important to make sure it is dialed properly for optimal ride quality and performance.
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:21 PM   #58
Trmx2

Drives: 2014 Raven FR-S 6spd
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
Well you asked for advice, got advice from some of the most experienced people around and then did what you were going to do anyway. I don't mean to put words in your mouth but it seems like you were just looking for affirmations about a choice you already made.
I was looking only for advice on the models I selected as stated in my opening post.

Also, did you read my comment about getting these at a deal that was cheaper than any other coilover in it's category? Given that, and the fact that these are 1800-1900 retail, it was pretty hard to pass up. I'm sure if you had several choices on a list you had made, then to later find that one of your choices came at an insane deal. You'd take the deal regardless of the advice. Most people would, especially for a product that has a good reputation to begin with. We aren't talking the difference between k-sports vs KW, we are talking about the difference of systems in the same caliber at reasonably the same retail, I took the deal on a system that I know comes from a quality company.
Trmx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:30 PM   #59
Trmx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznKirby View Post
Sounds to me like he read the advice, took it into consideration, then made his decision.

What's the problem, here?
I'll be looking out for your thoughts on the HKS SP, @Trmx2 !
Exactly! Thank you, I just received the coils today, probably won't have them on till next weekend though due to the holidays. I will most definitely write that review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG David View Post
When you've played with different suspension kits on multiple platforms, the tuning philosophy between different manufacturer's are apparent. They might feel good to you but that doesnt mean you have had the chance to try something else that is better or worse. Make sure to work with your vendor on dialing your suspension. It is important to make sure it is dialed properly for optimal ride quality and performance.
Understood, and I'm in no way undermining your advice, I do think however, that these will work perfectly for my needs and be a great setup for years to come. I've got a dedicated guy that will work on my suspension until it's dialed in perfect. However, I believe HKS sets it to their recommended specs ready to use out of the box. Once I get everything installed I'll see what's needed.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:45 AM   #60
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trmx2 View Post
I was looking only for advice on the models I selected as stated in my opening post.

Also, did you read my comment about getting these at a deal that was cheaper than any other coilover in it's category? Given that, and the fact that these are 1800-1900 retail, it was pretty hard to pass up. I'm sure if you had several choices on a list you had made, then to later find that one of your choices came at an insane deal. You'd take the deal regardless of the advice. Most people would, especially for a product that has a good reputation to begin with. We aren't talking the difference between k-sports vs KW, we are talking about the difference of systems in the same caliber at reasonably the same retail, I took the deal on a system that I know comes from a quality company.
i dont make lists. the list gets made by what has a proven track record. its been brought up that hks isnt a suspension company so i just question that a little. you want to be different and it seems you want to be jdm as fuck and it looks like you found what you were looking for. i know it sounds sarcastic but im happy that it sounds like you got what you wanted. congrats.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:39 PM   #61
Trmx2

Quote:
i dont make lists. the list gets made by what has a proven track record. its been brought up that hks isnt a suspension company so i just question that a little. you want to be different and it seems you want to be jdm as fuck and it looks like you found what you were looking for. i know it sounds sarcastic but im happy that it sounds like you got what you wanted. congrats.
I make lists because there are multiple products out there that offer comparable performance, just as can be seen in any manufactured product today. In regards to HKS not being a suspension company, HKS started in 1973 and was backed by Sigma Automotive CO. The two men responsible for starting the company were both Japanese automotive engineers. As they developed and continued to expand, they started making many different car parts. HKS is highly skilled at what they do and everything that they make is made and designed/tested/and researched by them. To say "HKS is not a suspension company" is like saying Sony is not a headphone company or camera company. HKS, is a leader in Japanese automotive parts design and innovation just as Sony is a leader in just about everything electronics from TV, DVD, Blu-Ray, sound systems, etc. A company thats been around 40+ years definitely has the reputation and know-how to successfully build a high quality suspension system.

I like Japanese design, but not purposefully trying to keep a JDM theme. I have many Perrin parts on my car too.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:48 PM   #62
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trmx2 View Post
I make lists because there are multiple products out there that offer comparable performance, just as can be seen in any manufactured product today. In regards to HKS not being a suspension company, HKS started in 1973 and was backed by Sigma Automotive CO. The two men responsible for starting the company were both Japanese automotive engineers. As they developed and continued to expand, they started making many different car parts. HKS is highly skilled at what they do and everything that they make is made and designed/tested/and researched by them. To say "HKS is not a suspension company" is like saying Sony is not a headphone company or camera company. HKS, is a leader in Japanese automotive parts design and innovation just as Sony is a leader in just about everything electronics from TV, DVD, Blu-Ray, sound systems, etc. A company thats been around 40+ years definitely has the reputation and know-how to successfully build a high quality suspension system.

I like Japanese design, but not purposefully trying to keep a JDM theme. I have many Perrin parts on my car too.
i would honestly be surprised if hks made their own suspension instead of outsourced products. sony is a multi billion dollar conglomerate. hks is not like sony. youre happy and thats all that matters though really.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:23 PM   #63
A3r0pusH

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Firestorm Red
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Most KW V3 and RCE T2 owners don't know how to dial in their suspension hence, their ride quality and performance are severely compromised.
A little late to the party, but this was the case for me in my E46 M3. I had ridden in other cars equipped with KW V2s and V3s, but never asked if they had the setups dialed in. My ride was absolutely horrible and wanted to go back to the stock setup. They are good for comfort if someone can set them up correctly.

With that said, I don't think I would buy another set of KWs and will be looking into a set of RS*Rs when the time comes.
A3r0pusH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 06:32 PM   #64
CSG David

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by A3r0pusH View Post
A little late to the party, but this was the case for me in my E46 M3. I had ridden in other cars equipped with KW V2s and V3s, but never asked if they had the setups dialed in. My ride was absolutely horrible and wanted to go back to the stock setup. They are good for comfort if someone can set them up correctly.

With that said, I don't think I would buy another set of KWs and will be looking into a set of RS*Rs when the time comes.
We have a variety of clients ranging from those who put absolute faith in our recommendations to clients with rather funky setups who have been burned with false advertisement and unreliable marketing representatives of their parts. 86 Cup is an excellent place to identify setups to times. Keep in mind, not all of them are our clients and the suspension setups vs. times are rather correlated. On another note, about 98% of the 86Cup drivers use their cars primarily for DD purposes so suspension setups are incredibly important for optimal performance and proper ride quality as well.
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 09:42 PM   #65
SurfAndSand
8SiX

Drives: FRS 10series
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
I wish we had a good tuning shop in Hawaii so I could get some help picking a suspension - wait - we don't have a track, so I guess we don't need a tuning shop.
SurfAndSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 12:05 AM   #66
troek

Drives: 2012 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Garage
i just put on the hipermax SPs last night, only drove around town and a tiny bit of highway, but they feel pretty great so far. i never had any interest in these, until i saw them for sale so low i couldnt pass it up. with the yen rate i paid under a grand, im pretty pleased with them so far haha.
troek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troek For This Useful Post:
Trmx2 (11-27-2014)
Old 11-27-2014, 12:56 AM   #67
Trmx2

Quote:
i would honestly be surprised if hks made their own suspension instead of outsourced products. sony is a multi billion dollar conglomerate. hks is not like sony. youre happy and thats all that matters though really.
They 100% make their own suspension with no outsourcing. Guaranteed. They arent rebranded products either. Their manufacturing videos show that everything is made, designed, and built in house.
Old 11-27-2014, 01:00 AM   #68
Trmx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by troek View Post
i just put on the hipermax SPs last night, only drove around town and a tiny bit of highway, but they feel pretty great so far. i never had any interest in these, until i saw them for sale so low i couldnt pass it up. with the yen rate i paid under a grand, im pretty pleased with them so far haha.
Post some more thoughts and a write up please, it's consumer such as ourselves that can comment on what these coils can do in terms of ride, performance, streetability, etc. Post pics of your setup too! How is the drop?! I'm waiting till next weekend to install
Old 11-27-2014, 01:39 AM   #69
troek

Drives: 2012 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Garage
Drops at preset height for now(-19mm). Its too high imo. Ill adjust that later. They can go much lower. no pics were taken during install, but evasives write up is great for pics. Around town comfort is surprisingly good, considering its double the spring rates as before. but ive always been a fan of hks coilovers' comfort, so maybe im biased. Ill be going to the track in a week or so, so ill have more detailed data then, including high speed highway crusing. Its a great stretch of curvy highway on the way to the track.
troek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 01:44 AM   #70
FastWhite

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited M/T
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
We have a variety of clients ranging from those who put absolute faith in our recommendations to clients with rather funky setups who have been burned with false advertisement and unreliable marketing representatives of their parts. 86 Cup is an excellent place to identify setups to times. Keep in mind, not all of them are our clients and the suspension setups vs. times are rather correlated. On another note, about 98% of the 86Cup drivers use their cars primarily for DD purposes so suspension setups are incredibly important for optimal performance and proper ride quality as well.

That's the boat that I'm in. Trying to decide, at my current skill level, how much to spend on coilovers. I can buy the SRC's but will they be lost on me, setup headaches and just not enough skill (maybe I'll grow into them) to fully utilize them.
I don't track, yet, DD and lots of Autocross.
So with that in mind,
SRC's
Ohlins
RS*R Club Sport
Or any other recommendation.
I tend to err on the upper end. I am more than familiar with "you get what you pay for".
But then, with price point, I could also get a tune with the RS*R CS for the price of the SRC's.
So I need convincing,
I'd like a nice ride but I am too competitive to settle for a nice ride.
Sent an email to your site, CSG, asking the same thing.

Good Day A!!!!
FastWhite is offline   Reply With Quote