follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 02-29-2012, 12:18 AM   #29
Dontyouflan

Drives: 92 Ford Ranger 4x4 STX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Also, the looks of a 128 are HIGHLY dependant on color. They should be black or white. (Like most any other BMW. Colors make the sides look too...rippley?)
Dontyouflan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:00 AM   #30
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,882 Times in 2,026 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
I think it looks OK. But definitely too tall, with way too high a beltline. The pot-belly pig sag indention feature in the lower sides is unfortunate, but minor.

Mainly, the problem with this car as far as I'm concerned is that it is too big and too heavy for a sub-3-series "baby" BMW. Needs more 2-ness and E30-ness and less E9x-ness...
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:03 AM   #31
riceracer8888

Drives: Creeper Van
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidy0998 View Post
will the 128i really be in the low-mid $20k range? I figured it would be closer to $30k.

The 1 series looks absolutely ridiculous to me. Am I the only one that feels that way? It screams girl car to me (no offense to the girls). It just really looks like something rich college girls would drive.

I'd buy a 10 year old 3 series before I bought a 1 series.
3 points.
1.) the 128i is hardly an expensive car... just saying.
2.) BMW does underrate their engines. I'm pretty sure it makes 230 at the wheels.
3.) It is perfectly understandable to cross shop a 1 series with the frs/brz and genesis coupe. along with many other cars.
riceracer8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:11 AM   #32
SVTSHC
(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ

Drives: 2015 Series Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceracer8888 View Post
3 points.
1.) the 128i is hardly an expensive car... just saying.
2.) BMW does underrate their engines. I'm pretty sure it makes 230 at the wheels.
3.) It is perfectly understandable to cross shop a 1 series with the frs/brz and genesis coupe. along with many other cars.
You need to understand that it's not the initial cost of the 128i that's the point of focus, it's the cost of OWNING a 128i that is the concern. The cost of owning a BMW past warranty isn't something to bat an eye at, they're expensive. I'm talking six injectors for 1k+ expensive, exhaust systems that cost around 2.5k expensive, cold air intakes that cost over 1k expensive and not to mention newer BMW's are VERY tempermental vehicles. They aren't as easily modified as the older ones with far less computers, so in that respect it's NOT understandable to cross shop a 1 series with the FRS/BRZ and GC; cost of ownership past warranty takes two VERY different routes.

But if you're Johnny Moneybags then I'm sure cost of ownership isn't a concern.

"Sweet Subaru, sweet Subaru, send your BRZ unto me, for the roads of the unworthy must be baptized in speed and glory." ~Zaku
SVTSHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:38 AM   #33
riceracer8888

Drives: Creeper Van
Having owned Toyota/Lexus and seeing friends/family who own European cars, I have come to the conclusion that a properly maintained car will last nearly forever. I am not saying that the frs/brz is a bad car. I am as excited as you guys are. All I am saying is that it is usually up to the owner to decide on the longevity of the car.
riceracer8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:10 PM   #34
scorcherjf

Drives: RX8
This comparison is really just a sports car vs. a "sporty" coupe. The 128i (as well as the 135i) don't have a limited slip diff... that pretty much kills it for being a sports car. The lower center of gravity and lighter weight of the BRZ will make it far superior in handling imo.

That said, the 128i will probably be more comfortable, and the back seats more usable and spacious. I used to have a 135i and it was actually quite nice in the back.
scorcherjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:19 PM   #35
SVTSHC
(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceracer8888 View Post
Having owned Toyota/Lexus and seeing friends/family who own European cars, I have come to the conclusion that a properly maintained car will last nearly forever. I am not saying that the frs/brz is a bad car. I am as excited as you guys are. All I am saying is that it is usually up to the owner to decide on the longevity of the car.
Been saying that for years now.

Hate when people say something is destined to leave you on the road because it's an "X". My dad's got a windstar with close to 300k on it, thing barely ever gives any problems.

"Sweet Subaru, sweet Subaru, send your BRZ unto me, for the roads of the unworthy must be baptized in speed and glory." ~Zaku
The Following User Says Thank You to SVTSHC For This Useful Post:
MuseChaser (11-08-2015)
Old 02-29-2012, 04:26 PM   #36
Undecided

Drives: Suzuki Esteem 1998
It all comes down to maintaing the car, the BMW will make your wallet lighter that's for sure!
Undecided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:07 PM   #37
EvoFanatic

Drives: Evo X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navi View Post
The 128i BMW is MUCH more expensive, it's a totally different league then the GT86
This made me lol. You really think price determines the "leagues" of cars. The BMW is overpriced and slow compared to what the FRS/BRZ is. You are getting the same quality of build with slight differences with interior material choices (ie. plastics vs. heavier polymers, and btw BMW doesn't offer real leather on any of their cars priced under 50k.) The both are targeting the same audience, they are both "sports" cars, they are both FR; basically all the proof you need to say they are in the same "league". But i bet you at the end of the day more FRS's will be sold and they will be a much better car and a much better buy than anything BMW can offer.
EvoFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:24 PM   #38
SVTSHC
(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFanatic View Post
This made me lol. You really think price determines the "leagues" of cars. The BMW is overpriced and slow compared to what the FRS/BRZ is. You are getting the same quality of build with slight differences with interior material choices (ie. plastics vs. heavier polymers, and btw BMW doesn't offer real leather on any of their cars priced under 50k.) The both are targeting the same audience, they are both "sports" cars, they are both FR; basically all the proof you need to say they are in the same "league". But i bet you at the end of the day more FRS's will be sold and they will be a much better car and a much better buy than anything BMW can offer.
You're so violently incorrect; we offer leather or premium leather (on cars that come standard with leather and not leatherette)for every single model. Price is irrelevant, leather is ALWAYS an option. I don't know who told you that but they lied to you.

Better car than anything BMW can offer? Bro...you high?

Edit: By the way, just so everyone is aware the 128i is an excellent vehicle. It's NOT slow, it handles like a dream. The only difference that'll exist between this car and the FRS/BRZ will be the difference in turn-in and the weight you FEEL going around the corner (but if you've got the sack for it I can guarentee the car handles just about as well as the FRS/BRZ will) and that's on a track. On the street you'll run out of nuts before both cars do. Guarenteed

Last edited by SVTSHC; 11-09-2015 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:59 PM   #39
trackmagic

Drives: 1994 BMW 318i
I am looking forward to my first Japanese car. I have had 4 German cars (Mercedes, BMW, Audi, VW). I have had at least 1 problem with each of them:
Mercedes: Leaking sun roof
BMW: Turn signal stop working when it was really humid (moisture would get in the recepticals)
Audi: Broken steering rack and window linkage before 50k miles
VW: Too many to list.
trackmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #40
Sully

Drives: In the market for something fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTSHC View Post
On the street you'll run out of nuts before both cars do. Guarenteed
Hell, that's most cars. Which is why heavy modding(or modding really high performance cars) has always amused me slightly.

Friend of mine's dad, bought a viper. Supercharged it. Never goes above 90, no plans to ever go to a track. Why bother? The 600 hp wasn't enough to have fun with?
Sully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:54 PM   #41
Heero

Drives: 2-door
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
These are actually 2 cars im looking @ new.

I figure I have to finance the 86 anyways, so why not finance the 128. So far chicks seem to like the 128, personally I duno. I'm waiting to test drive both cars 1 after the other, but I think I will be putting a deposit down on the FRS just to be safe.
Heero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:20 AM   #42
Dr.Science

Drives: Formerly: WRB BRZ LTD
I actually don't mind the look of the 128, but I would be tempted to pony up for the 135. The problem then is of course the price getting further from the BRZ. I think I'll be sticking w/the Subie.
Dr.Science is offline   Reply With Quote