follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 05-28-2013, 03:26 PM   #15
Grip Ronin
The Mechanic

Drives: Civic Turbo,FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
How stiff do you have the damping set in the rear?

I run exactly mid way up front (might go a tad more stiff) and full stiff in the rear.
At the time I was at 12 front 18 rear cuz the nose wasn't bitting. I wasn't entering crazy and never spun
Old 05-28-2013, 04:02 PM   #16
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,576 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grip Ronin View Post
At the time I was at 12 front 18 rear cuz the nose wasn't bitting. I wasn't entering crazy and never spun

You could try stiffening up the rear a bit. Depending on your rear alignment and what tires you're using, that will also effect how the rear end of the car feels. I'm running almost -2 degrees and on stock tires so the car pitched out in 3rd gear pretty easy. But the lack of contact patch and grip in the rear made the car a bit too unsettled when it was sideways at higher speeds. Had a couple spinouts but was able to make the needed corrections after a couple runs.

With a better tire, and less rear camber, the car would be PERFECT.

Depending on how you drive, you might want different settings for your car. Next event, try a bit more aggressive of an initiation and while you're sideways, if you feel the rear end starting to get that traction back and the rpms are dropping too low, kick the clutch again and it should help keep it going.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:10 PM   #17
Scalzo

Drives: Asphalt FRS <3
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Stupid question, but how does one drift?
I've tried the e-brake, not really working , i gotta do the clutch kick and it gets tail happy but i can't seem to hold the sideways-ness for long.

Setup
HSD coilovers
Micheline PS2 tires 225/40 FR 255/35 RR
Enkei Raijin 18s
Cusco drift knob
Cusco Front/rear strut bars
Catless front pipe Invidia
Catback Invidia Q300
FA20CLUB tuned

I'll be turbo'd next week. but i want to drift a bit in N/A get a feel of it.. Any tips? i'm going to a local drift night this saturday night to try it out.
I also need a wheel alignment, what specs should i be getting?
Old 05-28-2013, 04:22 PM   #18
TylerLieberman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalzo View Post
Stupid question, but how does one drift?
I've tried the e-brake, not really working , i gotta do the clutch kick and it gets tail happy but i can't seem to hold the sideways-ness for long.

Setup
HSD coilovers
Micheline PS2 tires 225/40 FR 255/35 RR
Enkei Raijin 18s
Cusco drift knob
Cusco Front/rear strut bars
Catless front pipe Invidia
Catback Invidia Q300
FA20CLUB tuned

I'll be turbo'd next week. but i want to drift a bit in N/A get a feel of it.. Any tips? i'm going to a local drift night this saturday night to try it out.
I also need a wheel alignment, what specs should i be getting?
Two basic and easy techniques are ebrake and clutch kick. There are loads of others but given the lower power of our cars, those two methods are the easiest and most consistant ways to get the rear end out right when you want it.

When you go to the event, have somebody with some track time ride shotgun and give you some pointers. People always tend to be pretty willing to help at events for those who ask. You'll start to get it after a few runs. Spinning out is normal so don't get frustrated or embarassed cause you look like a "noob". You're still having more fun than the guys on the side lines watching.

As far as suspension goes, my only recommendation is when you get to the track, lift up the front and add more negative camber. It will help your turn in and front end grip so much. The car will feel a lot more responsive to your steering inputs. You don't have to go crazy but I would run at least -2. I run near -4 at the track. For the rear, in my opinion, I would run as little camber as possible. No more than -1. More contact patch and the rear end will feel more planted. Won't feel like it's getting out of shape so fast. For toe, zero or VERY minor toe in on the rear. For the front, I would run zero so when you camber in the front wheels more at the track, they will naturally push the toe out a little bit.

These are based off my personal preference though and you might find different setups work better for how you drive.

It's a mixture of throttle and steering (brake and clutch if you know how) inputs. In short and a very small nutshell, think of it this way. The amount of throttle you use determines your speed and rotation while your steering inputs determine the line and general path of the car. Inputs on both determine where the car will go and how much angle and fast it gets there.

There's a lot more to it than that but it really just takes seat time. If you concentrate and put in some effort to learn, by the end of the event, you'll probably be linking close to the entire course.

Also, I would run stock tires in the back. 255 Michelins in the back won't work very well...and be expensive haha
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
Arthur-A (05-27-2021), dphan (11-19-2013), ftc~brz (08-22-2013), Kodi (04-09-2014), mou (06-04-2013), sosick (02-24-2016), stock (12-30-2013), TorontoNat (01-18-2018)
Old 05-28-2013, 04:25 PM   #19
xero404

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I had a chance to do a drift clinic with just drift at WSIR balcony. I wanted to have a baseline with a stock car so the only thing it had was 16x6.5 wrx wheels with some falken ziex as my drift spares in the back and the stockers on the front. Only adjustments made were whiteline camber bolts up front with an alignment of 1.5 and 1.7 on the passenger side trying to max them out. My buddy who did the alignment also gave a bit of toe out to prevent chunking of the stock tire.

My first impressions in this car are:

1. Donuts are much easier in this car than my previous NB miata. Power and throttle response was smooth.

2. Figure 8's just needed a touch of clutch kick and ebrake. Drift knob would've made the day much easier.

3. Big sweepers in 2nd gear were very snap oversteery with a bit of roll. 3rd gear needed alot more clutch to keep the revs up.

4. The steering feel was great for the donuts but the bigger drifts it was a bit floaty compared to the manual rack the miata had so counter steering needed getting used to. Needed smooth inputs to initiate but and rough counters to get the wheel at the right place.

5. Stock steering angle kinda sucks but it was the same way with the stock miata. I guess i was spoiled with the 240.

Power was great for donuts but i feel that the car needs that extra 50hp to keep the rear happier. But then again i was babying the car around the walls so it wasn't something a little more speed could fix once i get more confident.

Now my baseline is done the next event will see some suspension upgrades and some wider wheels. Tire choice probably be Achilles since they are so cheap for drift spare.
xero404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:43 PM   #20
Scalzo

Drives: Asphalt FRS <3
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Two basic and easy techniques are ebrake and clutch kick. There are loads of others but given the lower power of our cars, those two methods are the easiest and most consistant ways to get the rear end out right when you want it.

When you go to the event, have somebody with some track time ride shotgun and give you some pointers. People always tend to be pretty willing to help at events for those who ask. You'll start to get it after a few runs. Spinning out is normal so don't get frustrated or embarassed cause you look like a "noob". You're still having more fun than the guys on the side lines watching.

As far as suspension goes, my only recommendation is when you get to the track, lift up the front and add more negative camber. It will help your turn in and front end grip so much. The car will feel a lot more responsive to your steering inputs. You don't have to go crazy but I would run at least -2. I run near -4 at the track. For the rear, in my opinion, I would run as little camber as possible. No more than -1. More contact patch and the rear end will feel more planted. Won't feel like it's getting out of shape so fast. For toe, zero or VERY minor toe in on the rear. For the front, I would run zero so when you camber in the front wheels more at the track, they will naturally push the toe out a little bit.

These are based off my personal preference though and you might find different setups work better for how you drive.

It's a mixture of throttle and steering (brake and clutch if you know how) inputs. In short and a very small nutshell, think of it this way. The amount of throttle you use determines your speed and rotation while your steering inputs determine the line and general path of the car. Inputs on both determine where the car will go and how much angle and fast it gets there.

There's a lot more to it than that but it really just takes seat time. If you concentrate and put in some effort to learn, by the end of the event, you'll probably be linking close to the entire course.

Also, I would run stock tires in the back. 255 Michelins in the back won't work very well...and be expensive haha
GREAT information, thanks a lot!
If you check my Build in my sig, i'm pretty low.

255s in the back just for the looks, probably going to buy a new set up for drifting with cheap tires next year. When i rip through 2nd and try ebrake nothing happens, like absolutely nothing unless it wet out i'll slide. What about sway bars? Should i be upgrading these?
Old 05-28-2013, 05:17 PM   #21
TylerLieberman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalzo View Post
GREAT information, thanks a lot!
If you check my Build in my sig, i'm pretty low.

255s in the back just for the looks, probably going to buy a new set up for drifting with cheap tires next year. When i rip through 2nd and try ebrake nothing happens, like absolutely nothing unless it wet out i'll slide. What about sway bars? Should i be upgrading these?
You COULD but it's not necessary. I would see how the car feels before making more changes. You might find out that the car drives perfectly how you want it with the setup you run at the event. No need in changing it if you like it the way it is. After you get the turbo setup, go to another event and see how it is then. At that point, you'll be able to run wider tires too and make other suspension/alignment changes.

I know I am going to upgrade sway bars but I made that decision after driving it at the event. For my setup, I could utilize the changes from thicker sway bars.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:51 PM   #22
Grip Ronin
The Mechanic

Drives: Civic Turbo,FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
You could try stiffening up the rear a bit. Depending on your rear alignment and what tires you're using, that will also effect how the rear end of the car feels. I'm running almost -2 degrees and on stock tires so the car pitched out in 3rd gear pretty easy. But the lack of contact patch and grip in the rear made the car a bit too unsettled when it was sideways at higher speeds. Had a couple spinouts but was able to make the needed corrections after a couple runs.

With a better tire, and less rear camber, the car would be PERFECT.

Depending on how you drive, you might want different settings for your car. Next event, try a bit more aggressive of an initiation and while you're sideways, if you feel the rear end starting to get that traction back and the rpms are dropping too low, kick the clutch again and it should help keep it going.
ya thanx i try not to beat on it too much cause i dont want to stretch the eb cables so i user mostly momentum entries when messing around but 3rd jus always seemed to die out hmm gonna have to work the rpm band a lil more
Old 06-02-2013, 01:04 AM   #23
ultra
Curious cat.

Drives: 86 GT base M/T - Red
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
How to the clutch, gearbox and rear end (diff & axles) hold up on this car?
2007 Mitsubishi Evo 9 RS (sold)
2006 VW Golf R32 (sold)
ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:49 PM   #24
TylerLieberman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra View Post
How to the clutch, gearbox and rear end (diff & axles) hold up on this car?
Havent heard of any issues yet. I tore a cv boot at the last event...but that was from running the tires until they exploded haha
Old 06-05-2013, 11:28 AM   #25
namdoog

Drives: Crystal Black Silica BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoyminutemaid View Post
I'll be at ECB too, though I might not have my BRZ there. My friends drive two turbo E36s, one black, one red convertible. Oh, and another friend has a dark green LS swapped FC.
Nice man, look for me. I'll have the black BRZ with stockers and Bronze MB weapons. Registered to drive Sunday but I'll be up Saturday night I think.

Quote:
Tires and seat time is the best thing to spend money on for drifting. With this car, I do an event, see what changes I would like to make. Then after I make them, I do another event. The car will slowly progress as I drive more and more.
This is great advice, I should have done it this way when I was drifting my 350Z.
namdoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:35 AM   #26
namdoog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Bump, anyone driving at Club Loose East Coast Bash this weekend? I will be there Sunday.
namdoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:42 PM   #27
FRS-Jonathan

Drives: 2013 6spd manual Scion FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
thinking about spectating on sunday depends on how much coin I got
FRS-Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:45 AM   #28
namdoog