follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 12-30-2018, 05:03 PM   #15
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,433 Times in 6,148 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD001 View Post
That piece of fresh tarmac looks lower than the road.. has it sunk since laying?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantedTaken View Post
That's a curious repair. You think someone gouged out the road and driveway?
*Just a randomly selected picture of a random street gutter to illustrate for humfrz...
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
humfrz (12-30-2018), JD001 (12-31-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 05:11 PM   #16
Brink

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey86 View Post
ive got a rolled kerb driveway :/ so every now and then i scrape hard at stock height, looking to buy a little ramp so i can stop this as my front lip that ive been waiting for 6 months now is finaly arriving in the next week or two. other wise the dam speed bumps around here

Rolled curb driveway here too, I just barely don't scrape my APR lip (probably one of the worst, as far as clearance goes) as long as I take a good angle on the curb. We're at the end of a cul-de-sac so not only is it a rolled curb but it's also at an angle rather than being straight in line with the street. Luckily this means there's no traffic so I can do whatever I want maneuvering in and out.
Brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 05:35 PM   #17
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
*Just a randomly selected picture of a random street gutter to illustrate for humfrz...
Well, in this part of the country, the made out of concrete rise at the edge of the street is called a curb. The entrance/exits from a street onto a driveway are called driveway/walk aprons.

However, it may be different in your part of the country.

humfrz
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Spuds (12-30-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 05:44 PM   #18
Brink

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Well, in this part of the country, the made out of concrete rise at the edge of the street is called a curb. The entrance/exits from a street onto a driveway are called driveway/walk aprons.

However, it may be different in your part of the country.

humfrz
What we're talking about is some areas have a rolled curb like what Spuds posted that runs the full length of the street. There is no delineation of driveway vs curb, it's all the same.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brink For This Useful Post:
humfrz (12-30-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 06:00 PM   #19
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
ya'll are way too serious.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:07 PM   #20
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brink View Post
What we're talking about is some areas have a rolled curb like what Spuds posted that runs the full length of the street. There is no delineation of driveway vs curb, it's all the same.
OK, OK, two things.

One thing - I'll have to admit that in some parts of the country a curb can be called a gutter (my bad - @Spuds)...

Thing two.

I'll snip a piece off the interweb:

"Some neighborhoods in the newer parts of Vancouver have the rolled-edge curbs instead of the square ones. What is the purpose of these modified curbs? Is it legal to park a car with the passenger-side wheels completely on the sidewalk in these neighborhoods?
— Christi Grossman, Hazel Dell
The purpose of rolled curbs — curbs that curve gracefully up a few inches from street to sidewalk, rather than jutting vertically up, forming a wall — is to save builders money.
“The advantages are largely financial. Simply put, they’re cheaper to build,” said county public works spokesman Jeffrey Mize.
Subdivision developers generally build streets before they build homes, and once the homes have gone in, builders must go back and make driveway curb cuts in their pristine new concrete. Rolled curbs save this step, since the entire length of the rolled curb is the lip of a potential driveway. No cutting necessary. It allows greater flexibility in placing homes on lots, too.
“There may be other benefits,” said Mize. “Some pedestrians might prefer them if they’re riding bikes or pushing strollers. And, some might find them more aesthetically pleasing. They’re something different.”
For most people, though, the disadvantages outweigh the advantages. As befits an automatic driveway lip, rolled curbs do encourage drivers to glide right onto the sidewalk. Vertical curbs discourage that and tend to be safer. They’re also better at channeling stormwater toward storm drains. “That’s an emphasis in this county,” Mize said.
The city of Vancouver only permits rolled curbs on a case-by-case basis in tight cul-de-sacs, according to transportation spokeswoman Brooke Porter, so fire engines can turn around by easing over the curb. In unincorporated Clark County, Mize said, rolled curbs were limited to cul-de-sac bul-bouts in September 2006. Before that, they were allowed along both public and private neighborhood streets, which is why you see them scattered around county subdivisions — like where you are, Christi, in Hazel Dell.
Whether or not builders can build them, in this state you may never park on them. Washington State law (RCW.46.61.570) is short and sweet on this point: Parking on sidewalks is illegal. Period.
“The law doesn’t say it’s OK if it’s only some of your wheels. It doesn’t say it’s OK if it’s 10 percent of your car,” said Mize. “You should not be parking on sidewalks at all.”

Thing three - what was thing three??

Time for ma meds, pain pills and a nap.

humfrz
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2018, 06:09 PM   #21
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
ya'll are way too serious.
You are exactly right!

I jest don't know why those other guys started this -

humfrz
Old 12-30-2018, 09:00 PM   #22
Grey86

Drives: Tornato grey 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brink View Post
Rolled curb driveway here too, I just barely don't scrape my APR lip (probably one of the worst, as far as clearance goes) as long as I take a good angle on the curb. We're at the end of a cul-de-sac so not only is it a rolled curb but it's also at an angle rather than being straight in line with the street. Luckily this means there's no traffic so I can do whatever I want maneuvering in and out.
no matter what angle i come at im scraping its a really sharp rolled curb
(alot of old houses in aus have this) i can gut up and down smooth rolled curbs but mine its between 90 and 45 degrees :/ even my neighbour he has a ford focus RS and he bottoms out hard.
Grey86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 09:23 PM   #23
Brink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey86 View Post
no matter what angle i come at im scraping its a really sharp rolled curb
(alot of old houses in aus have this) i can gut up and down smooth rolled curbs but mine its between 90 and 45 degrees :/ even my neighbour he has a ford focus RS and he bottoms out hard.
That must suck. You could probably even bottom out the front end on the curb if you take it at the wrong angle - and I don't just mean scraping the bumper.
Old 12-31-2018, 01:59 AM   #24
suzyj

Drives: 2018 86 GTS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Parked my new 86 in the car park at the local hardware store yesterday. Couldn’t find it at first coming out, as it was surrounded by landcruisers, and the roof of my 86 is only as high as their bonnets.
suzyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 03:19 AM   #25
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyj View Post
Parked my new 86 in the car park at the local hardware store yesterday. Couldn’t find it at first coming out, as it was surrounded by landcruisers, and the roof of my 86 is only as high as their bonnets.
That's an easy fix -

humfrz
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (12-31-2018), suzyj (12-31-2018)
Old 12-31-2018, 03:44 AM   #26
suzyj

Drives: 2018 86 GTS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
God no!
suzyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 04:32 AM   #27
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyj View Post
God no!
OK, plan B. After you park, just draw a map on the back of your shopping list of where you parked

Plan C is to hit the emergency button on your key fob and walk around.

Plan D is - there is no plan D - you shouldn't be driving!

Reminds me of the time, back-in-the-60s, when I traveled by air a lot, and rented many cars, I flew from NYC to the SF. I rented a car and headed South to San Jose to stop in and visit my sister. Yes, I had had several drinks. I stopped at a shopping center near where she lived to buy her young son a gift. Note: I always take off all that crap on the rental car keychains because it bugs me to have it in my pocket.

Well, I came out of the shopping center a different door than I went in. I could NOT find that damn rental car, I wasn't even sure of what color it was -

After spending about 45 minutes, walking up and down the parking isles trying the keys that I had in all the rental cars, I FINALLY found it.

THE END

humfrz
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Impureclient (12-31-2018), Myriad (01-08-2019)
Old 12-31-2018, 06:17 PM   #28
Spectral Entity

Drives: 16 Scion FR-S Hot Lava, 81 DeLorean
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Yes, I have several scrapes...Since they aren't gonna rust, I just don't pay them any mind. Why don't they bother me? Because I can't normally get down that low to be able to see them -

humfrz
Ha! Outta sight, outta mind!!
Spectral Entity is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spectral Entity For This Useful Post:
humfrz (12-31-2018)