follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 12-11-2019, 12:32 PM   #15
Atmo

Drives: TBA
Thanked 1,123 Times in 586 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Although there are certainly some politics behind them as I said before it is likely that 80% to 90% of the drivers out there actually WANT and enjoy these things.

I'm genuinely curious about whether buyers want those features or they're being pushed onto them to partly justify sky-high MSRP's?

I know that some Toyota dealers now have tech experts separate from the sales staff who spend on average 1-2 hours at delivery explaining the new nannies that buyer's didn't even know their vehicles had.
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 12:42 PM   #16
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmo View Post
I'm genuinely curious about whether buyers want those features or they're being pushed onto them to partly justify sky-high MSRP's?

I know that some Toyota dealers now have tech experts separate from the sales staff who spend on average 1-2 hours at delivery explaining the new nannies that buyer's didn't even know their vehicles had.
They don't know about many nannies because they don't have the Imeadiate impact of easing the burden that the Distracted Driving Packages have.
I don't want to be "that guy" but you will have to take my word that the public is demanding even more things that make driving "easier" for them. I have to sit through a 4 hour presentation every 1/4 and this is what they talk about for about 3 hours of it. The demand is there but I can not share the info and data to show it.

Here is a small (released) tidbit to chew on.

https://press.zf.com/press/en/releas...ease_6848.html

As far as pushing prices up goes the Eyesight system in my wife's Impreza cost her an extra $800. I doubt they made much money at that price since the stuff is expensive.
Atmo (12-12-2019), strat61caster (12-11-2019)
Old 12-11-2019, 01:12 PM   #17
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,937 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
As far as pushing prices up goes the Eyesight system in my wife's Impreza cost her an extra $800. I doubt they made much money at that price since the stuff is expensive.
I have to wonder though if its not $800 for the "final mile" pieces. I would imagine a lot of the "infrastructure" for it is built into every car, even those that don't have it. Similar to how a lot of cars have wiring harnesses that have plugs for things you didn't get because it's easier to have one and spread the cost over all cars.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (12-13-2019), Tcoat (12-11-2019), why? (12-12-2019)
Old 12-11-2019, 01:23 PM   #18
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I have to wonder though if its not $800 for the "final mile" pieces. I would imagine a lot of the "infrastructure" for it is built into every car, even those that don't have it. Similar to how a lot of cars have wiring harnesses that have plugs for things you didn't get because it's easier to have one and spread the cost over all cars.
Oh I would be surprised if it wasn't built in all of them. That would be peanuts in cost though. I think that the 17 MY was the last where there was an upcharge for the systems from Subaru. Have never looked but am pretty sure they are just included with the cars now. At least the higher trim levels.
Dadhawk (12-11-2019)
Old 12-11-2019, 01:29 PM   #19
Atmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1ac View Post
The NTSB has started a few studies of lack of driver situational awareness. For drivers that learn with the assists.
The argument is either: should learn with out, or need more to help more.
Parents generally want more to keep their children safe.

Those study outcomes will be important.

One example of unexpected consequences is a Car Control course run in the auto-x area of the local track, PIR. I've taken it a couple of times and thought it would help new drivers. The opposite was true.

According to an Oregon State University study that I can't find, CC graduates had a higher accident rate than non CC grads. The study concluded that the CC course created overconfidence in young drivers.

So discounting for helicopter parents, maybe the NTSB will find reasons to include them in most production vehicles, the direction Toyota took with the latest Toyota Safety Sense v.2.0 system that's included at no cost in many 2020's.

https://www.toyota.com/safety-sense/animation/drcc
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atmo For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (12-11-2019), why? (12-12-2019)
Old 12-11-2019, 05:49 PM   #20
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
most people are shit drivers, glad they're able to buy tools so I don't get crashed into as often
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
gravitylover (12-13-2019), Tcoat (12-11-2019), why? (12-12-2019)
Old 12-11-2019, 07:00 PM   #21
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
most people are shit drivers, glad they're able to buy tools so I don't get crashed into as often
gravitylover (12-13-2019), soundman98 (12-13-2019), strat61caster (12-11-2019)
Old 12-11-2019, 07:05 PM   #22
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,146 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I remember reading or hearing somewhere that wiring harnesses were built to match a specific car. Having loose plugs is a safety hazard and therefore not something that is allowed.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 08:53 PM   #23
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
I remember reading or hearing somewhere that wiring harnesses were built to match a specific car. Having loose plugs is a safety hazard and therefore not something that is allowed.
That may be, I can't say I'm an expert on wiring harnesses, it has just always been my impression that for things like fog lights and other "add ons" that may be done by the dealership the plugs were already provided. I have nothing to back that up.

Old 12-12-2019, 06:23 AM   #24
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Although there are certainly some politics behind them as I said before it is likely that 80% to 90% of the drivers out there actually WANT and enjoy these things. I must confess that I wouldn't mind a couple of the features myself. As long as I can turn them on and off depending on the driving I am doing! When (not if) they become mandatory and can not be turned off is when we know we have reached the true political aspect.
Quote:
They don't know about many nannies because they don't have the Imeadiate impact of easing the burden that the Distracted Driving Packages have.
I don't want to be "that guy" but you will have to take my word that the public is demanding even more things that make driving "easier" for them. I have to sit through a 4 hour presentation every 1/4 and this is what they talk about for about 3 hours of it. The demand is there but I can not share the info and data to show it.
Some these features are amazingly useful. My mother has a Lincoln SUV, and it has cameras covering 360º on the outside, so you can use them to make sure the behemoth is in the parking space or to make sure I don't mistakenly drive over my car when pulling it into their driveway. That's something I wouldn't mind having in most cars. Even our car it would be nice to not have to worry about smashing into those stupid parking concrete pieces every time.

Not to mention there is a time for enjoying a drive, but it is not when you have a commute through traffic and who knows what else. Commuting 30 minutes or more through rush hour is not something anyone enjoys. There is a reason I made sure I could walk to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
That's 100% not true. In fact a lot of these modern cars have all the plugs for every option you can get for them worldwide. So things like automatically folding mirrors is simple plug and play. And in my last car, the Yaris, they even had the bodies built so that any car could have the Japan only awd system simply attached without major modifications. Everything was already present for it to bolt right up.

None of these plugs are "loose." The wiring is tied down every few inches or so in all of these cars. The only place our cars have any wires that are even remotely loose are in the headliner. I had to buy zip ties after I took mine out to keep those wires restrained.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to why? For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (12-12-2019), korhun (12-12-2019), Spuds (12-12-2019), strat61caster (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 07:39 AM   #25
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
My mother has a Lincoln SUV, and it has cameras covering 360º on the outside, so you can use them to make sure the behemoth is in the parking space or to make sure I don't mistakenly drive over my car when pulling it into their driveway. That's something I wouldn't mind having in most cars. Even our car it would be nice to not have to worry about smashing into those stupid parking concrete pieces every time.
Yea, I'd pay the extra for that feature in just about any car, but particularly larger ones like my Suburban.

Quote:
Not to mention there is a time for enjoying a drive, but it is not when you have a commute through traffic and who knows what else. Commuting 30 minutes or more through rush hour is not something anyone enjoys. There is a reason I made sure I could walk to work.
I guess I'm an exception to this rule. I've commuted between 45 minutes to an hour one way pretty much my entire career. I actually like it. It gives me a decent separation between work and home in my mind, time to decompress or get ready for the day. For about two years I lived within walking distance of work and it drove me nuts. I felt like there was no buffer.

Quote:
That's 100% not true. In fact a lot of these modern cars have all the plugs for every option you can get for them worldwide. So things like automatically folding mirrors is simple plug and play. And in my last car, the Yaris, they even had the bodies built so that any car could have the Japan only awd system simply attached without major modifications. Everything was already present for it to bolt right up.
Thanks for the confirmation on this. I thought it was the case but didn't have any reliable proof.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
why? (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 10:11 AM   #26
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
At least soon there will be fully auto cars for people who can't drive. Of course the shittiest drivers probably can't afford them anyway LOL. The elderly might be able to, but that EBT queen in the left lane doing 45 with her crappy little SUV... not so much.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:17 AM   #27
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1l0t View Post
At least soon there will be fully auto cars for people who can't drive. Of course the shittiest drivers probably can't afford them anyway LOL. The elderly might be able to, but that EBT queen in the left lane doing 45 with her crappy little SUV... not so much.
If they rush it too soon, we'll just be trading people who can't drive but have some sense of self preservation for cars that can drive in 90% of conditions but are oblivious the other 10% of the time. I think I'll stick with the people.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (12-12-2019), Spuds (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 12:04 PM   #28
Atmo

Quote:

That 2021 ZF coPILOT system is impressive. Hopefully they include a permanent opt out for data collection and distribution. Incidentally, Toyota does offer opt out on their latest Entune system but requires a trip to the dealer.

I bought NVDA stock yesterday thinking it will exceed the former peak from miner sales with the ZF rollout.

Short ZF demo from your link:

The Following User Says Thank You to Atmo For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (12-12-2019)