follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 05-01-2013, 02:18 AM   #15
projectXTR

Drives: Sterling Silver BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshadeck View Post
For those who dont understand what the purpose of the design is, they are designed to tuck away below a certain mph (usually below 60 or so) as all a spoiler does at those speeds is cause drag and slow u down. But above x mph it raises (some adjust more so as speed increases) to provide downforce to counter act the natural rear end lift most street cars are prone to.

Edit: as seen on porsches, mclarens, bugattis to name a few
Thanks for elaborating, was what I was aiming at.

For those saying our car doesn't make enough power to justify a setup like this, go to the forced induction section and think again.

Then again a standard audi TT or A7 doesn't either and they can get away with it...
projectXTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:24 AM   #16
jshadeck

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout 6MT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Trunk with pop up wing

OP, you should crop the pic to show just the trunk lid as it seems everyone is getting off track looking at the body kit (which has its own thread if u wish to discuss the r8 and lfa kits)

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24965
Old 05-01-2013, 02:29 AM   #17
B L U E S L A T E

Drives: BMW E84
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Active aero will be extremely pricey... for any car.
B L U E S L A T E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:12 AM   #18
projectXTR

Drives: Sterling Silver BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshadeck View Post
OP, you should crop the pic to show just the trunk lid as it seems everyone is getting off track looking at the body kit (which has its own thread if u wish to discuss the r8 and lfa kits)

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24965
changed it
projectXTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:35 AM   #19
s2d4

Drives: R32 GTR, AW11 MR2 SC, GTS86 R
Thanked 1,223 Times in 708 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectXTR View Post
Your thoughts?
It'll cost more than the car for it to be functional.
This isn't just about lifting the wing only at high speed, to allow reduction of drag at low speed as another poster had stated.
s2d4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:47 AM   #20
Kiwi

Drives: Volkswagen Golf GTI
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectXTR View Post
Thanks for elaborating, was what I was aiming at.

For those saying our car doesn't make enough power to justify a setup like this, go to the forced induction section and think again.

Then again a standard audi TT or A7 doesn't either and they can get away with it...
I'm sure the active aero built by someone in their garage is the same as those designed and tested by aerodynamic engineers in wind tunnels.

The TT and A7 both have an unusual design that produces higher than average lift at the rear. Read up on the MK1 TT and the accidents. Audi wants to prevent that from happening again, and maybe they don't want spoilers hanging off the rear of their cars with "only" 200hp. Leave them to performance cars like the TT RS or the R8 GT.

I think this justifies why Audi actually went through the trouble of designing the aero system on those two cars, instead of just sticking a piece of plastic on the rear and calling it a day.
Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:14 PM   #21
usptwins
Toyota Soul

Drives: 96 taco
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I want no part of this "kit", i understand your talking about the active spoiler, but seriously... It would have no use. For most here, they want drag and downforce because the autox the car and things of that sort. If you don't need it for that, then you won't be reaching corner speeds that you would need such a setup for. I don't think you will be tracking and competing in the Nurburgring.... Just sayn...
Old 05-01-2013, 03:49 PM   #22
infinite012
Banned

Drives: 13 DGM BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Have you tried taking a look into Porsche's design for their rising rear wing? You could probably find a wrecked one and then bastardize your OEM trunk with the electronics/motors/whatever magical unicorn parts Porsche uses.
infinite012 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to infinite012 For This Useful Post:
usptwins (05-01-2013)
Old 05-01-2013, 04:06 PM   #23
M-17
Ninja Cat Mod

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 6,254 Times in 2,673 Posts
Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Had the op gone with a different approach about the rising spoiler then I believe most wouldn't be so negative about it. Maybe in terms of, "You like spoilers, but don't need a spoiler present all the time. Then how about a pop-up spoiler?"
Now I'd think that would be decent idea, just don't get so carried away thinking your a badass of some sort though.

With that being said, I completely agree with others saying there's no point to it. Cause lets face it, the majority that own this car will not have it at excessive high speeds all the time, which is what the pop-up spoiler was aimed for.

Education is Important, but Race Cars are more Importanter
M-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:20 PM   #24
infinite012
Banned

Drives: 13 DGM BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
I thought Porsche used it to cool their oil or something along those lines?
infinite012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:36 PM   #25
killerkid08
Cool Stuff

Drives: Cool Car
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by usptwins View Post
Talk about a wana be Audi R8.... honestly, why add all that unnecessary weight of actuators and sensors and what have you instead of just installing a nice, lightweight, functional spoiler?

On another note, im really tired of people and shops developing body kits that make the car look like another. Its an FR-S/BRZ, its not a v10, its not twin turbo, its not a super car, its not awd, please just quit with all this nonsense... It comes off as a large pot of rice..
that's an LFA man, the R8 wants to be a LFA, definitely not the other way around.

Also in another direction with this, active aero on a FR-S/BRZ would be beast. The idea of having a variable angle of incidence spoiler( Think maximum down force spoiler with speed as the controlling authority deciding the angle at which it is positioned, until a certain speed is reached where it maintains a set position, until the breaks are applied and it acts as an air brake.) would make, a fixed pitch one look like child's play. The idea isn't, "omg, lets copy higher end cars." It's lets improve this platform. We are the soul behind the engineers in the aftermarket community. People who want the best possible from their car.

So me, I'm down. I bought a turbo to trounce every other FR-S/BRZ that didnt have FI, the mustangs, the this and thats on the track and on the street. This will only aid in that.
So stop downing good ideas for vehicle improvement, that's just lame.
killerkid08 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to killerkid08 For This Useful Post:
Batman (05-03-2013)
Old 05-01-2013, 05:12 PM   #26
usptwins
Toyota Soul

Drives: 96 taco
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by killerkid08 View Post
that's an LFA man, the R8 wants to be a LFA, definitely not the other way around.
What?? No where on that car is a "good idea". Its horrible. Good job on the development, but damn, Audi makes R8's you can buy all day long that come with the active spoiler, don't want that, go try to buy an LFA, can't find one of those, go buy a Bugatti, if all else fails, go buy a Chrystler Crossfire...
Old 05-01-2013, 05:34 PM   #27
naikaidriver

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Asphalt
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
The technology for this is out there and has been for some time even in the aftermarket.

I remember almost 10 years ago I went to the Fukuoka Auto Salon in Japan and Apex'i was showcasing a carbon fiber GT wing that was controlled by a small box on the dash that looked very similar to the SAFC II. There was also a small airspeed meter that was mounted in the grill area and wired directly to the controller.

All the driver had to do was enter in a kg/cm sq (or lbs/ft sq) value and the wing would adjust its angle depending on vehicle speed. It was very clever but I'm not sure if it was ever brought to market.

The rest would be pretty simple but in order to support the weight of the wing and maximum possible down-force, the hydraulics would have to be fairly robust (meaning heavy). Also this would completely rule out you ever using your trunk ever again.

While it would be cool for the "wow factor" and car shows, I don't think it has a place in racing or HPD due to the added weight and any design that could be incorporated into a trunk lid wouldn't be nearly as efficient as a permanently mounted, purposed wing.

Just my .02c.

Scott
Old 05-02-2013, 05:17 AM   #28
RAWR BRZ

Drives: 2010 BMW M3, 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Well if you guys dont care about pop up wing but a fixed one that moves look up aeromotions
RAWR BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote