follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-27-2014, 08:55 AM   #1
flashburn

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
RevWorks UEL Headers, Nameless Downpipe/Axelback = TONS of Rasp!

I got the following setup a couple of weeks ago:
RevWorks UEL Headers
Nameless Downpipe - with Cat and Helmholtz resonator
Nameless Axelback Exhaust 2.5" 5" mufflers

Unfortunately it's just a raspy mess. It's slightly noticeable below 4K RPM, but at 4.5K and up, it's constant, just sounds horrible.

Not sure if anyone else has this setup or not, but I figured I'd give people a heads up that were thinking about this same setup.

Any suggestions on what I can do (if anything) to fix the rasp would be appreciated.
flashburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:07 AM   #2
industrial
Add lightness!

Drives: 17' WRX
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashburn View Post
RevWorks UEL Headers

Unfortunately it's just a raspy mess. It's slightly noticeable below 4K RPM, but at 4.5K and up, it's constant, just sounds horrible.

Not sure if anyone else has this setup or not, but I figured I'd give people a heads up that were thinking about this same setup.

Any suggestions on what I can do (if anything) to fix the rasp would be appreciated.
Sell the axleback and buy the 2.5inch Perrin resonated catback. I had a the same setup (jdl instead of rev headers) and the same issues. Sounds much better now. People have had success with the invidia q300 as well.
industrial is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to industrial For This Useful Post:
Knickstape (01-28-2014), SirBrass (02-09-2014)
Old 01-27-2014, 09:15 AM   #3
flashburn

That's a bummer, I really like the Nameless exhaust. Especially since I got the Blue/Gold tips, looks great on my car.

Do you have any clips of your setup? No rasp at all?
Old 01-27-2014, 09:15 AM   #4
smbstyle

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
RevWorks UEL Headers

Let me know if you sell either the UEL or the Nameless axleback, I'm in Central FL and interested...
smbstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:24 AM   #5
flashburn

Does anyone have this same setup, but with a different Down/Front pipe and not have rasp? I kind of consider replacing the Axelback as being a "worst case" scenario. Or is any more free flowing Down/Front pipe going to cause this?
Old 01-27-2014, 09:35 AM   #6
industrial
Add lightness!

Quote:
That's a bummer, I really like the Nameless exhaust. Especially since I got the Blue/Gold tips, looks great on my car.

Do you have any clips of your setup? No rasp at all?
Yeah, I really hated selling my nameless setup. I looked into adding resonators, mufflers or getting a catted header but after hearing what a huge difference it made installing the stock muffler, I decided to change out the muffler. I did my research and the quietest catbacks were the q300, greddy sp elite and perrrin. I got the perrin for a nice price from a forum vendor and I'm happy with my choice. I winterized my car before taking any good video of the setup. The rasp is completely gone and the car is almost too quiet (except for cold startup).

If you still have your stock muffler, try it. You will be shocked how quiet the car becomes.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:44 AM   #7
flashburn

Will do. I think I'll give it a try today after work. This blows! First time having to deal with "rasp" before, and it's absolutely dreadful sounding.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:50 AM   #8
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
RevWorks UEL Headers

I tried this setup on 3", no helmholtz with a JDL UEL catless header and it was raspy. Only solution is to get more "muffle" in the system, specifically the axleback section. A new catback should take care of it.

The Q300 is ultra quiet.... I'm going to try an N1 to see if it meets my loudness needs without rasp. If not, I'll stay with the Q300 and call it a day. Sounds real nice but is real tame.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:55 AM   #9
flashburn

Yeah, I'm definitely not looking for something "quiet". I'm pretty happy with the volume of my current setup, although a bit quieter at least at highway speeds would be nice.
@industrial How does the Perrin compare to the Nameless in sound volume?
Old 01-27-2014, 10:11 AM   #10
industrial
Add lightness!

Quote:
Yeah, I'm definitely not looking for something "quiet". I'm pretty happy with the volume of my current setup, although a bit quieter at least at highway speeds would be nice.
@industrial How does the Perrin compare to the Nameless in sound volume?
It's hard to say exactly. If you got to tool around with your nameless setup before the headers, its about that loud. Maybe a ch louder. The tone is completely different though so it's hard to make a comparison. It sounds just like a turbo subaru with a turboback.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:24 AM   #11
flashburn

I only ran with the Nameless Axelback by itself, not with the downpipe. I watched some videos and it seems "loud enough" for me. So I'm definitely thinking about that route.

The Q300 is also interesting because I like the titanium tips on my WRB (I like the blue/gold better, since I'll be getting gold wheels, but whatever), and it's also a lot cheaper than the Perrin.

Any particular reason why you picked the Perrin over the Q300 setup?
Old 01-27-2014, 10:36 AM   #12
lucchesi423

Drives: 1991 MR2 turbo, 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
what about the ark grip exhaust paired with the uel? has anyone tried that? figure with how they designed it, t would eliminate alot of the noise and raspiness
Old 01-27-2014, 11:02 AM   #13
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I only ran with the Nameless Axelback by itself, not with the downpipe. I watched some videos and it seems "loud enough" for me. So I'm definitely thinking about that route.

The Q300 is also interesting because I like the titanium tips on my WRB (I like the blue/gold better, since I'll be getting gold wheels, but whatever), and it's also a lot cheaper than the Perrin.

Perrin is probably a bit louder, and also somewhat lighter than the Q300 in weight. Either system is almost the same volume wise, but I would put the Perrin resonated slightly ahead volume wise over the Q300, but they are close.

I got the Q300 because the blue titanium tips match Ultramarine. Looks great imo. Perrin is a great choice though for a moderate and tame setup. They do get loud when you get on them though. My cold start is even somewhat loud as well. Very noticeable.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-S Matt For This Useful Post:
jflogerzi (02-08-2014)
Old 01-27-2014, 11:03 AM   #14
industrial
Add lightness!

Quote:

10 pound weight difference and I liked the idea of a v-band for more adjustability.

The nameless setup was funny in that it actually got a little quieter once you installed the resonated & catted midpipe. The resonator really did a good job on that system killing the drone.