follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 07-04-2014, 01:13 AM   #1
WallsAndFoundations

Drives:
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What are the biggest wheels and spacing before requiring any other special modificati

Car newb here. I'm gonna be purchasing some new tires and rims before winter but I wanna know how big I can go before requiring coil overs or new suspension.

I don't wanna go long, 18" at the largest, but I wanna get some nice wide wheels with 15-25mm spacers but wanna know how big I can go before experiencing rub or grind.

Thanks guys!
WallsAndFoundations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:24 AM   #2
midnight23
dying bird under the hood

Drives: 2013 SWP Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
your car is going to look odd with wheels and no suspension, you don't need to run spacers on this car if you run wide wheels
Absorb the following..
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7535
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25177
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15007
midnight23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to midnight23 For This Useful Post:
SCharged (07-04-2014), WallsAndFoundations (07-04-2014)
Old 07-04-2014, 09:06 AM   #3
WallsAndFoundations

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight23 View Post
your car is going to look odd with wheels and no suspension, you don't need to run spacers on this car if you run wide wheels
Absorb the following..
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7535
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25177
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15007
Appreciate it buddy! Thank you! Gonna get to reading now.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:57 AM   #4
boredom.is.me
Custom User Title

Drives: Asphalt FR-S MT
Thanked 1,182 Times in 697 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Garage
Spacers are needed when you buy WHEELS with the wrong offset. That and why would you want to spend even more money on spacers for not doing it right.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:59 PM   #5
Karl07

Drives: 2012 86 GTS - Storm Black
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I have 18x9.5 on the rear (with zero clearance issues) and unless you REALLY need the extra width, I probably wouldn't go any bigger.
The difference in handling was substantial, but if you were putting out some big HP then you might need bigger, I guess.
Karl07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:00 PM   #6
WallsAndFoundations

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl07 View Post
I have 18x9.5 on the rear (with zero clearance issues) and unless you REALLY need the extra width, I probably wouldn't go any bigger.
The difference in handling was substantial, but if you were putting out some big HP then you might need bigger, I guess.
Sick that's what I wanted to know. Whatcha got going on in the front?
Old 07-04-2014, 06:10 PM   #7
Karl07

Garage
Exact specs are as follows:

Front:
Enkei FPF1 matte black
18x8.5 +40
8kg
Falken FK453 245/35/18

Rear:
Enkei RPF1 matte black
18x9.5 +38
8.11kg
Falken FK453 255/35/18

These are some pics, both before and after installation of my Tein coil overs.
They are a bit more aggressive so they look like they poke out a bit, which before the coils they do, but after the coils, looking from the top of the car, they actually barely are visible.

And after the coils:
This is the poke, but it seems magnified from this angle.

Last edited by Karl07; 07-04-2014 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Apparently can't link to my AU forum build page.
The Following User Says Thank You to Karl07 For This Useful Post:
WallsAndFoundations (07-04-2014)
Old 07-04-2014, 06:53 PM   #8
WallsAndFoundations

Drives:
Quote:

Front:
Enkei FPF1 matte black
18x8.5 +40
8kg
Falken FK453 245/35/18

Rear:
Enkei RPF1 matte black
18x9.5 +38
8.11kg
Falken FK453 255/35/18

These are some pics, both before and after installation of my Tein coil overs.
They are a bit more aggressive so they look like they poke out a bit, which before the coils they do, but after the coils, looking from the top of the car, they actually barely are visible.

And after the coils:
This is the poke, but it seems magnified from this angle.

Got a link to where you got the wheels man? she looks absolutely gorgeous.

How much were the coilovers? Do you like them? Is the difference between stock, and coilovers with new wheels substantial? Have you had an opportunity to drive in winter with them yet? Thanks yo!
Old 07-05-2014, 09:42 AM   #9
Karl07

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallsAndFoundations View Post
Got a link to where you got the wheels man? she looks absolutely gorgeous.

How much were the coilovers? Do you like them? Is the difference between stock, and coilovers with new wheels substantial? Have you had an opportunity to drive in winter with them yet? Thanks yo!
Thanks for that mate, I still turn around and admire the car everytime I walk away from her.

Being that I'm in Australia I wouldn't think a link would help, but I bought them off of Autotechnika (a forum sponsor of the GT86 AU forum).
I should imagine that matte black RPF1's would be easily available around the states.
I paid about $1500 for the wheels and then another $1500 for the tyres from a local shop.

The Tein Street Flex coilovers were purchased from another forum sponsor 999Automotive for around $1800 (which is about $300-400 less than local shops could supply), and then after fitment, it was another $120 for pros to adjust and align, etc.

I absolutely LOVE the Teins...the shop I was talking to had plenty of negative experiences with Teins being improperly setup for the rough Australian roads and he actually warned me against buying them (after I had already ordered them). Gave me a bit of a worry.
But once installed and set, I found them to be very comfortable around town, even on the poor quality roads here, they weren't loud or creaky or making any noises at all really.
They are a bit stiffer than stock, which has caused the tail to be a bit more prone to sliding out on me, especially now that the tyres are getting to the end of their life...but I am making the most of the tyres and enjoying myself immensely before I buy new ones and get back to grip.
I actually left the stiffness adjustment in neutral (8 out of 16 clicks), though I think I might click them a LITTLE harder.
I also didn't lower too much...about 40mm...just enough to rid myself of some of that ugly wheel gap. But I did not see the need to be scraping everytime I go over a speed hump or into my driveway...those days are well behind me.
I have had the wheels on for nearly a year and over 20,000kms and the coils for about 4 months.
The difference the tyres made to economy was HUGE (850km+ down to about 650 MAX) but thats not why we upgrade our tyres...the grip was phenomenal and in the wet, I have never driven on tyres that gripped like these did...if there are much better out there, they must be amazing.
With standard tyres on, the TC was always there keeping me from having too much fun, but now I can confidently drive in monsoonal rain with TC off and know I have grip.
But once I put the coils in...wow. I live directly opposite a good 15km mountain and forest run which I regularly drive after work, or Sunday morning...or just because. I can take corners much faster while still feeling planted and confident.

As for winter, its winter now....but where I live, the coldest winter will get MAY hit 0 degree celcius...maybe. No snow, no ice, nothing.
Though where I lived before was regularly -15 degrees celcius with a very light dusting of snow, but never enough to even be noticeable.
The Following User Says Thank You to Karl07 For This Useful Post:
WallsAndFoundations (07-05-2014)
Old 07-05-2014, 02:34 PM   #10
WallsAndFoundations

Drives:
Quote:
Thanks for that mate, I still turn around and admire the car everytime I walk away from her.

Being that I'm in Australia I wouldn't think a link would help, but I bought them off of Autotechnika (a forum sponsor of the GT86 AU forum).
I should imagine that matte black RPF1's would be easily available around the states.
I paid about $1500 for the wheels and then another $1500 for the tyres from a local shop.

The Tein Street Flex coilovers were purchased from another forum sponsor 999Automotive for around $1800 (which is about $300-400 less than local shops could supply), and then after fitment, it was another $120 for pros to adjust and align, etc.

I absolutely LOVE the Teins...the shop I was talking to had plenty of negative experiences with Teins being improperly setup for the rough Australian roads and he actually warned me against buying them (after I had already ordered them). Gave me a bit of a worry.
But once installed and set, I found them to be very comfortable around town, even on the poor quality roads here, they weren't loud or creaky or making any noises at all really.
They are a bit stiffer than stock, which has caused the tail to be a bit more prone to sliding out on me, especially now that the tyres are getting to the end of their life...but I am making the most of the tyres and enjoying myself immensely before I buy new ones and get back to grip.
I actually left the stiffness adjustment in neutral (8 out of 16 clicks), though I think I might click them a LITTLE harder.
I also didn't lower too much...about 40mm...just enough to rid myself of some of that ugly wheel gap. But I did not see the need to be scraping everytime I go over a speed hump or into my driveway...those days are well behind me.
I have had the wheels on for nearly a year and over 20,000kms and the coils for about 4 months.
The difference the tyres made to economy was HUGE (850km+ down to about 650 MAX) but thats not why we upgrade our tyres...the grip was phenomenal and in the wet, I have never driven on tyres that gripped like these did...if there are much better out there, they must be amazing.
With standard tyres on, the TC was always there keeping me from having too much fun, but now I can confidently drive in monsoonal rain with TC off and know I have grip.
But once I put the coils in...wow. I live directly opposite a good 15km mountain and forest run which I regularly drive after work, or Sunday morning...or just because. I can take corners much faster while still feeling planted and confident.

As for winter, its winter now....but where I live, the coldest winter will get MAY hit 0 degree celcius...maybe. No snow, no ice, nothing.
Though where I lived before was regularly -15 degrees celcius with a very light dusting of snow, but never enough to even be noticeable.
Yeah no worries dude! Thank you very very much for the well-thought and time-taken reply! I appreciate it tons! The prices you mentioned are actually pretty cheap it seems because I live in the US and you Aussies have to pay so much more cause of the exchange rates. So I'd imagine it'd about 2k for the whole thing and about 1200 or 1k for the coilovers.

I got a lot to think about. I'm also looking at some michelin super sports cause I've been recommended it now by several people who have frs and love it. You said you dropped your car 55mm or so? That's like 2.5/3 inches or so yeah?
Old 07-05-2014, 07:26 PM   #11
sirsol66

Drives: 2013 FRS- Hot Lava
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

Front:
Enkei FPF1 matte black
18x8.5 +40
8kg
Falken FK453 245/35/18

Rear:
Enkei RPF1 matte black
18x9.5 +38
8.11kg
Falken FK453 255/35/18
Did you have any issues with front or rear strut clearance? What about to the fender/quarter panel? I'm planning on running the exact same setup except with a P225 in the front instead of your 245.
sirsol66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:32 PM   #12
jonbonazza

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsol66 View Post
Did you have any issues with front or rear strut clearance? What about to the fender/quarter panel? I'm planning on running the exact same setup except with a P225 in the front instead of your 245.
With coilovers, that width won't be an issue at all. They will NOT fit factory struts as with springs (regardless of OEM or aftermarket), they have a much higher diameter and that setup will rub.
jonbonazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:16 PM   #13
Karl07

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbonazza View Post
With coilovers, that width won't be an issue at all. They will NOT fit factory struts as with springs (regardless of OEM or aftermarket), they have a much higher diameter and that setup will rub.
I can say 100% that I experienced zero clearance issues before I put in the coilovers.
As mentioned, I had the tyres on for about 7months before I got the Teins installed.

When the shop was advertising them, they said they were designed fitment for the 86 and so all I had to buy was the Leggdura Duralumin nuts, and the hub centric rings.
No other modifications.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsol66 View Post
As for fender clearances, when I first installed them, before the coils, there was no way they were going to hit as the car looked a 4WD with big wheel gaps.
After the coils, the front tyres are just inside the fender, so even at full compression they won't hit...the rears are still JUST poking a little, so I'm not sure how much the coils can compress and if that will be an issue. I hit a huge pothole the other day and they didn't rub...so I think it's pretty safe.

As for turning, even at full lock I get no rubbing (and yes that was the case before the coilovers too).

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallsAndFoundations View Post
Yeah no worries dude! Thank you very very much for the well-thought and time-taken reply! I appreciate it tons! The prices you mentioned are actually pretty cheap it seems because I live in the US and you Aussies have to pay so much more cause of the exchange rates. So I'd imagine it'd about 2k for the whole thing and about 1200 or 1k for the coilovers.

I got a lot to think about. I'm also looking at some michelin super sports cause I've been recommended it now by several people who have frs and love it. You said you dropped your car 55mm or so? That's like 2.5/3 inches or so yeah?
I was going to get the Michelins but I couldn't get the sizes I required at that time, so after heaps of research I grabbed the FK453s.
I have heard that the Michelins are extremely good.

I originally had the shop drop 25mm and after It settled I dropped a further 15mm.
So 40mm is only like an inch and a half drop.
My fronts are basically camber neutral and I THINK the rears we're sitting at -1.7 degrees.
I didn't want too aggressive camber...I don't like replacing $550 tyres too often. Lol.
As I said these have been on nearly 20,000km and are still sweet...but almost time for a new set.