follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 09-19-2019, 07:41 PM   #85
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
My family lives there.
And I bet they can not get E85
Leonardo (09-19-2019)
Old 09-19-2019, 07:41 PM   #86
Will BRZ
Damn that's crazy...

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
I am happy with the power my stock 2013 AT has after 7 years. I can pass when I want to.
I don’t understand people who complain about not being able to pass. Like just go with the flow of traffic or wait for the space to open up for you to “pass”. Even with all the people on the road here in Houston, it’s never been an issue for me
Will BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Will BRZ For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (09-19-2019), why? (09-20-2019)
Old 09-19-2019, 07:57 PM   #87
Will BRZ
Damn that's crazy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
Hi Guys, Back again after a long break from forums. I just paid off my FRS so now (hopefully) I can afford to do some mods. I was thinking on a super charger or engine swap to get the HP up but after reading this thread I'm kind of changing my mind. For the most part I really like my FRS stock but there are times when I hit the gas to get around some slow poke and not much happens. So my question is this...How much am I going to feel a smaller increase in HP...or how much does a small increase in HP translate to feeling it when driving? I'm thinking exhaust and drop in filter and hose type increase...what would that be about 20-30HP? And to go with that...what exhaust should I be looking at for a not too loud and more classy rumble...I'm not a young guy like a lot of you so I don't really want to be the 50yr old driving down the freeway in a fart can sounding car a 16yr old would want. No offense to you younger peeps!
Congratulations on paying off your car dude. I agree with Leo on the bolt on mods. Best you can do is header and a tune and, if available to you, E85. Though a decent header will go for about $600-$1000, a basic tune from OFT is $500, and an intake is I’m guessing like $300. After that, you might want to get a better flowing exhaust which means switching out the front pipe and overpipe and maybe a cat/axleback. Should you not run into any issues, you’ll be at minimum $1,500 deep for about 30 HP. I hope that’s all correct lol but at that point, it’s up to you if it’s worth it. I’m happy with stock power and decided to put money into basic mods like suspension, wheels, maybe some aero bits and perhaps a catback. FI is obviously where you’ll see the most gains, but if I wanted a faster car that bad, I’d buy something like a 370Z. It’s your money just be smart and do some research yourself. Plenty of information here. Good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to Will BRZ For This Useful Post:
Leonardo (09-19-2019)
Old 09-19-2019, 08:04 PM   #88
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will BRZ View Post
Congratulations on paying off your car dude. I agree with Leo on the bolt on mods. Best you can do is header and a tune and, if available to you, E85. Though a decent header will go for about $600-$1000, a basic tune from OFT is $500, and an intake is I’m guessing like $300. After that, you might want to get a better flowing exhaust which means switching out the front pipe and overpipe and maybe a cat/axleback. Should you not run into any issues, you’ll be at minimum $1,500 deep for about 30 HP. I hope that’s all correct lol but at that point, it’s up to you if it’s worth it. I’m happy with stock power and decided to put money into basic mods like suspension, wheels, maybe some aero bits and perhaps a catback. FI is obviously where you’ll see the most gains, but if I wanted a faster car that bad, I’d buy something like a 370Z. It’s your money just be smart and do some research yourself. Plenty of information here. Good luck
The intake will not help. Get the same out of drop in higher flow filter.
Will BRZ (09-19-2019)
Old 09-19-2019, 08:11 PM   #89
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Hi Guys, Back again after a long break from forums. I just paid off my FRS so now (hopefully) I can afford to do some mods. I was thinking on a super charger or engine swap to get the HP up but after reading this thread I'm kind of changing my mind. For the most part I really like my FRS stock but there are times when I hit the gas to get around some slow poke and not much happens. So my question is this...How much am I going to feel a smaller increase in HP...or how much does a small increase in HP translate to feeling it when driving? I'm thinking exhaust and drop in filter and hose type increase...what would that be about 20-30HP? And to go with that...what exhaust should I be looking at for a not too loud and more classy rumble...I'm not a young guy like a lot of you so I don't really want to be the 50yr old driving down the freeway in a fart can sounding car a 16yr old would want. No offense to you younger peeps!
Welcome back, there, InspGadgt -

Congratulations on paying off your machine -

"Power mods"? My take is that the more you mess with that engine, the more it's gonna mess with you.

Passing? At 50 years old, where in the hell are you going that you gotta get there soo fast? I have found over my 70 years of driving things, that the more power your vehicle has, the shorter distance you try to pass in. So, it don't much matter.

For exhaust I have a Nameless axle back with 5" mufflers and 2.5" piping, which doesn't give any significant power increase - it just sounds like it does. -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:18 PM   #90
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,674 Times in 994 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
That you should probably invest into some kind of paint protection before modding like ceramic pro. Paint is absolutely destroyed after 2.5 years of DD
Old 09-19-2019, 08:37 PM   #91
humfrz

Quote:
I don’t understand people who complain about not being able to pass. Like just go with the flow of traffic or wait for the space to open up for you to “pass”. Even with all the people on the road here in Houston, it’s never been an issue for me
I got the picture. There he goes folks, Houston traffic doesn't keep him from passing -

humfrz
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Will BRZ (09-19-2019)
Old 09-19-2019, 08:47 PM   #92
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
That you should probably invest into some kind of paint protection before modding like ceramic pro. Paint is absolutely destroyed after 2.5 years of DD
He lives in Hawaii. Not in Canada, where they spread fermented beet juice, salt, acid and really angular sand and gravel all over the roads.

humfrz
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Will BRZ (09-19-2019)
Old 09-19-2019, 08:50 PM   #93
InspGadgt

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S (Asphalt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
And I bet they can not get E85
Not to my knowledge...and even if I could it would be difficult to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Welcome back, there, InspGadgt -

Congratulations on paying off your machine -

"Power mods"? My take is that the more you mess with that engine, the more it's gonna mess with you.

Passing? At 50 years old, where in the hell are you going that you gotta get there soo fast? I have found over my 70 years of driving things, that the more power your vehicle has, the shorter distance you try to pass in. So, it don't much matter.

For exhaust I have a Nameless axle back with 5" mufflers and 2.5" piping, which doesn't give any significant power increase - it just sounds like it does. -

humfrz
Drivers out here are terrible and I hate getting stuck behind slow drivers.

Quote:
I'm definitely getting the paint fixed but the damage has been done mostly from me following too closely (Of course the poor road conditions here make that even worse). I've heard a lot of mixed things about ceramic coating, a friend got it done on his Vette and was really unhappy about something with it a few months back...I think he got some water spotting or something.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to InspGadgt For This Useful Post:
humfrz (09-19-2019)
Old 09-19-2019, 08:52 PM   #94
InspGadgt

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
He lives in Hawaii. Not in Canada, where they spread fermented beet juice, salt, acid and really angular sand and gravel all over the roads.

humfrz
That is true...but you'd be surprised to find out that our roads are rated as some of the worst in the US. They just went through and repaved all the freeways on O'ahu right when I bought my car and less than a couple of years later they were all degrading and had lots of little stones pitting up the front end of my car.
The Following User Says Thank You to InspGadgt For This Useful Post:
humfrz (09-19-2019)
Old 09-19-2019, 08:55 PM   #95
InspGadgt

Quote:
The problem is the high number of people out here that drive slower than the flow in the left hand lanes...That and the traffic goes from 60mph down to 25mph anytime a rain drop hits someone's window...and it rains a lot out here.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:58 PM   #96
Will BRZ
Damn that's crazy...

Quote:
Hell yeah great advice I’m looking to do that too. No point in shiny new wheels when your paint looks like shit lol
Old 09-19-2019, 09:12 PM   #97
humfrz

Quote:
That is true...but you'd be surprised to find out that our roads are rated as some of the worst in the US. They just went through and repaved all the freeways on O'ahu right when I bought my car and less than a couple of years later they were all degrading and had lots of little stones pitting up the front end of my car.
Oh, I see what you mean -

humfrz
Attached Images

Old 09-19-2019, 09:43 PM   #98
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Hell yeah great advice I’m looking to do that too. No point in shiny new wheels when your paint looks like shit lol
Might want to look into ceramic before wasting gobs of money on it. It's definitely not the end all be all solution.