follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 11-23-2018, 09:24 PM   #1
rmr

Drives: FRS 10-series
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thoughts on HKS Hipermax IV SP for track use?

Wondering if anybody can attest to the HKS Hipermax IV SP on our platform geared for track use. I've heard good things about them on some other platforms, being a quick set up for the money.

This car is my track toy and I want to make the jump to coils and can get a good deal on these.

Unfortunately I don't have the budget for Tarmac 2 at the moment otherwise this seems like a good way to go, but they would be out of my budget especially wanting more camber.

Another alternative would be RS-R Club Racers, both fall within my budget, although the HKS would be cheaper for me. Bilstein B16s + front camber plates are another option, but I've never used progressive springs and not sure how this would feel on the track.

Main priority is weekend track use and something that would perform well out there.

Current set up is stock dampers with the pro kit, front camber bolts and a good alignment of course, running RS4's.

Thanks for any help, spoiled by choice and don't want to make a step backwards, cheap coils being cheap as a rule.
rmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 03:41 AM   #2
Turbo

Drives: FR-S Turbo
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Whereabouts in Ontario are you?

I ran those coilovers (and, in fact the same tires too) on track this past season at both TMP and Grand Bend. I liked them, but admittedly have little to compare them to.

I'm at 250.8 rWHP and ran a 1:13.65 at The Bend in early October and a 1:22.9 at TMP Cayuga in late October & early November in ~2-5 degree weather. I couldn't even get the RS4s over 110 degrees F that day! I was told I'd likely be ~4 seconds a lap faster on the same setup in sunny 25 deg C weather mid-summer.
Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Turbo For This Useful Post:
rmr (11-27-2018)
Old 11-27-2018, 03:43 PM   #3
FirstWinter

Drives: Car
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
From what I have seen and heard, I would pass on the HKS Hipermax. The damping is not suited well for track use when I have spoken to several owners. Instead I would check out the CSG Tein Flex A or RCE Super Street 1 which are in your price range. I've only been able to see and ride the CSG FLA so far and they are excellent. 949 Racing is currently developing their Xidas and are supposed to have it out by later next year if you can wait.

If you have more questions about the setups I've mentioned you can contact them and they're active on the forums as well.

Last edited by FirstWinter; 11-28-2018 at 03:49 PM.
FirstWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FirstWinter For This Useful Post:
rmr (11-27-2018)
Old 11-27-2018, 11:07 PM   #4
rmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo View Post
Whereabouts in Ontario are you?

I ran those coilovers (and, in fact the same tires too) on track this past season at both TMP and Grand Bend. I liked them, but admittedly have little to compare them to.

I'm at 250.8 rWHP and ran a 1:13.65 at The Bend in early October and a 1:22.9 at TMP Cayuga in late October & early November in ~2-5 degree weather. I couldn't even get the RS4s over 110 degrees F that day! I was told I'd likely be ~4 seconds a lap faster on the same setup in sunny 25 deg C weather mid-summer.
In London, I run at the bend and TMP every now and then but haven't made it out on my new tires to the bend yet. I ran a close to 2 minute lap at TMP at the end of October, 0 degrees, pouring rain and old all seasons = drift practice. Thanks for the feedback, do you DD on the coils as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstWinter View Post
From what I have seen and heard, I would pass on the HKS Hipermax. The damping is not suited well for track use and are too soft when I have spoken to several owners. Instead I would check out the CSG Tein Flex A or RCE Super Street 1 which are in your price range. I've only been able to see and ride the CSG FLA so far and they are excellent. 949 Racing is currently developing their Xidas and are supposed to have it out by later next year if you can wait.

If you have more questions about the setups I've mentioned you can contact them and they're active on the forums as well.
Thats what I was worried about, I had heard they were pretty good track coils for the money on other cars but if the dampening isn't there for our platform I'll keep looking around, was curious because the price is right. Thank you for the input, the CSG Flex A setup has been on my radar.
Old 11-28-2018, 02:21 PM   #5
Turbo

Quote:
From what I have seen and heard, I would pass on the HKS Hipermax. The damping is not suited well for track use and are too soft when I have spoken to several owners. Instead I would check out the CSG Tein Flex A or RCE Super Street 1 which are in your price range. I've only been able to see and ride the CSG FLA so far and they are excellent. 949 Racing is currently developing their Xidas and are supposed to have it out by later next year if you can wait.

You may be thinking about the Hipermax GT setup, which is the 'street' version of the Hipermax SP's - which ARE designed primarily for track use. I've been told they are very comparable to the Tein MonoSports, which are a level above the Flex A's you mention and again geared at track use.

I know these SP's are also raved about in the S2000 community.

Last edited by Turbo; 11-28-2018 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 02:28 PM   #6
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmr View Post
In London, I run at the bend and TMP every now and then but haven't made it out on my new tires to the bend yet. I ran a close to 2 minute lap at TMP at the end of October, 0 degrees, pouring rain and old all seasons = drift practice. Thanks for the feedback, do you DD on the coils as well?

My car is used on-track, and driving to/from the track so I haven't really played with adjustments for "street comfort".

I don't have any complaints with them so far - and I actually AM driving them on track. A 1:13 at the Bend is pretty quick - and I know I will be waaay faster next season after applying what I learned driving the 3-4-5-6 complex at TMP to 4-5-6-7 at The Bend.
Old 11-28-2018, 02:41 PM   #7
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Wondering if anybody can attest to the HKS Hipermax IV SP on our platform geared for track use. I've heard good things about them on some other platforms, being a quick set up for the money.

This car is my track toy and I want to make the jump to coils and can get a good deal on these.

Unfortunately I don't have the budget for Tarmac 2 at the moment otherwise this seems like a good way to go, but they would be out of my budget especially wanting more camber.

Another alternative would be RS-R Club Racers, both fall within my budget, although the HKS would be cheaper for me. Bilstein B16s + front camber plates are another option, but I've never used progressive springs and not sure how this would feel on the track.

Main priority is weekend track use and something that would perform well out there.

Current set up is stock dampers with the pro kit, front camber bolts and a good alignment of course, running RS4's.

Thanks for any help, spoiled by choice and don't want to make a step backwards, cheap coils being cheap as a rule.
Racecomp had a used set of T2 for $1400 with OEM top hats on their FB for sale a couple days ago. Might be worth checking

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 03:05 PM   #8
FirstWinter

Drives: Car
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo View Post
You may be thinking about the Hipermax GT setup, which is the 'street' version of the Hipermax SP's - which ARE designed primarily for track use. I've been told they are very comparable to the Tein MonoSports, which are a level above the Flex A's you mention and again geared at track use.

I know these SP's are also raved about in the S2000 community.
Nope, the owners I spoke to were using the SP's. The Hipermax are targeted more so towards street use and if you are looking more into performance coilovers I would look elsewhere. A lot of things are raved about, but it does not mean it works for everyone.
Regarding the Flex A's I am speaking about CSG's custom valved Tein Flex A's which are different from the regular Flex A's.

Either way if I were OP, I would reach out to these companies directly to speak with them about a setup which works with OP's goals. You're about to spend a decent chunk of change you might as well get it right the first time.

@rmr This thread might interest you. Note this was from 4 years ago and since then the coilovers I mentioned in previous posts have been developed over the years and I think are better options than those available in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
Racecomp had a used set of T2 for $1400 with OEM top hats on their FB for sale a couple days ago. Might be worth checking
Might be gone already I'm afraid. They were a steal!

Last edited by FirstWinter; 11-28-2018 at 03:20 PM.
FirstWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FirstWinter For This Useful Post:
rmr (12-02-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 04:45 PM   #9
Turbo

Quote:
Nope, the owners I spoke to were using the SP's. The Hipermax are targeted more so towards street use and if you are looking more into performance coilovers I would look elsewhere.

Again- there are 2 Hipermax coilovers. The GT (street) model and the SP (track) model. They look identical.

I'm not saying these are the world's greatest coilovers, but I AM TRACKING on the Hipermax SP's and having some pretty decent results. Have you had a chance to drive them? I'm pretty sure I read HKS has won a championship or two with these very coilovers in their car, too.

I do understand you were talking about the CSG-spec Flex A, but the comparable Monosport Teins I mentioned, I've been told are a whole level above that yet. I have not driven the Mono's, but I may very well pick a set up just to give them a try.

I haven't tried to optimize these SP's for "street use" but when dialing them back 10 clicks front & back (on a 30 click scale) from what I run on track they were still pretty damned stiff.

In fact, after installing Hotchkis bars front and rear I actually backed the damping off a bit.
Old 11-28-2018, 04:50 PM   #10
Turbo

Quote:

If you're not in a hurry, you are welcome to do a ride-along with me at a track day next season! I expect I will be out for a shake down event in late April and am already booked on-track the first weekend in May in Grand Bend.
The Following User Says Thank You to Turbo For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (11-28-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 05:58 PM   #11
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:

@rmr This thread might interest you. Note this was from 4 years ago and since then the coilovers I mentioned in previous posts have been developed over the years and I think are better options than those available in the past.

Probably lol. But worth looking at least

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 03:51 PM   #12
rmr

Quote:
Nope, the owners I spoke to were using the SP's. The Hipermax are targeted more so towards street use and if you are looking more into performance coilovers I would look elsewhere. A lot of things are raved about, but it does not mean it works for everyone.
Regarding the Flex A's I am speaking about CSG's custom valved Tein Flex A's which are different from the regular Flex A's.

Either way if I were OP, I would reach out to these companies directly to speak with them about a setup which works with OP's goals. You're about to spend a decent chunk of change you might as well get it right the first time.

Thanks, I've seen that thread and what had prompted me into looking into the RSR Club Racers as a viable option as well in my price range for a good set of track coils.

Turbo I'll keep my eye out and we will compare notes come track season at the bend!