follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 11-03-2014, 01:11 PM   #29
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
So, back to the most pertinent question, what do you want to end up doing?
This is my problem. I've got four years until I retire from military service, and I have no idea what I want to do when I grow up. I know I need a degree, but I have no idea what sort of degree I need to be going for.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 01:17 PM   #30
jvincent

Drives: 2022 WRB BRZ Sport-Tech
Thanked 1,410 Times in 715 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
This is my problem. I've got four years until I retire from military service, and I have no idea what I want to do when I grow up. I know I need a degree, but I have no idea what sort of degree I need to be going for.
Knowing what you want to do is the part you need to figure out first.

Technology degrees are generally speaking always useful, but you need to be careful because what is hot now, might not be hot when you graduate.

Also, don't rule out a trade. Carpenters, plumbers, and electricians are also generally always in demand and can make a pretty good living.

As always, make be certain that you'll like what you end up doing, because you will likely be doing it for a long time.
jvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jvincent For This Useful Post:
gramicci101 (11-03-2014)
Old 11-03-2014, 01:19 PM   #31
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
With the future in Robotics, Drones, self-driving cars, and wireless, I would say a degree in Control Systems or Communications Theory would both be a good bet.
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stugray For This Useful Post:
gramicci101 (11-03-2014), s2d4 (11-03-2014), Tcoat (11-03-2014), Ultramaroon (11-03-2014)
Old 11-03-2014, 02:07 PM   #32
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,513 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
I didn't retire but went back to school after 9 years. Poked around for a couple more years studying everything except mechanical engineering for the peace of mind that I wasn't just doing it to follow in my dad's footsteps. It really helped because when I finally started coursework in my major, I realized there was no use fighting it. I needed that because it was the most challenging undertaking of my life.

I had another advantage as a non-traditional student. Lot's of real-world experience helped me to sincerely appreciate each and every building block of the curriculum. Broke my heart to be surrounded with so many brilliant kids just getting their cards punched.

BSME University of New Mexico - 2000. I'm 50.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:39 PM   #33
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
@jvincent, @stugray, @Ultramaroon,

I really don't want to hijack cdrazic's thread, but thank you for your inputs. I'm currently looking at a BS in technical management through Embry Riddle, focusing on either logistics (current job) or project management (widely useful). Maybe focusing on engineering sciences, but math hasn't always been my strong point.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (11-03-2014)
Old 11-03-2014, 02:47 PM   #34
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Lot's of real-world experience helped me to sincerely appreciate each and every building block of the curriculum. Broke my heart to be surrounded with so many brilliant kids just getting their cards punched.
I feel like that's inevitable, maybe 10% of my classmates were legitimately pressing every drop out of the courses (I definitely wasn't, especially in the beginning). A very tumultuous time for youngsters, so many demands and pressures and uncertainty. I can almost guarantee that every non-traditional student was getting their money's worth, shame that isn't the more traditional path...
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (11-03-2014)
Old 11-03-2014, 02:58 PM   #35
jvincent

Drives: 2022 WRB BRZ Sport-Tech
Thanked 1,410 Times in 715 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
A very tumultuous time for youngsters, so many demands and pressures and uncertainty.
Your point about youngsters and uncertainty is a good one.

My father was in banking (HR side) when he retired and is probably the least technical person you will ever find. I was always taking stuff apart as a kid (clocks, radios, etc) and engineering was the right thing for me because ultimately it's about problem solving.

There are a LOT of kids who go into a specific program either for the wrong reason (family pressure) or without even knowing what they want to do. These days that can be an expensive mistake.

I made sure our eldest was clear about his future career choices when he made his choice of programs because he didn't want to take the advanced math in HS that he would have need for engineering or economics. That's fine with me because math wasn't his strong suit, but at the same time if he wouldn't have been happy with the other options then it was better for him to figure it out early.

@gramicci101, you're welcome.
jvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jvincent For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (11-03-2014), Ultramaroon (11-03-2014)
Old 11-03-2014, 05:10 PM   #36
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
@jvincent, @stugray, @Ultramaroon,

I really don't want to hijack cdrazic's thread, but thank you for your inputs. I'm currently looking at a BS in technical management through Embry Riddle, focusing on either logistics (current job) or project management (widely useful). Maybe focusing on engineering sciences, but math hasn't always been my strong point.
No harm no foul. This thread is meant for anyone with the passion to know how things work. I knew I would want to be an engineer since I grew up with 4 tackle boxes of missmatched legos and still made surprisingly functional spaceships.
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cdrazic93 For This Useful Post:
Gunman (11-03-2014)
Old 11-03-2014, 05:25 PM   #37
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrazic93 View Post
No harm no foul. This thread is meant for anyone with the passion to know how things work. I knew I would want to be an engineer since I grew up with 4 tackle boxes of missmatched legos and still made surprisingly functional spaceships.
Hey, that's just like the Twins!
Old 11-03-2014, 07:52 PM   #38
pushrod
Benched 86lb

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Engineering in the US must not be the same as Canada. In Canada, engineering programs are accredited, not unlike medical programs. Thus, there is no "motorsports engineering" or "bridge engineering". Both would be specializations within mechanical and civil engineering, respectively, and wouldn't even be given those names. It seems in the US, "engineering" is used much more lightly.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:24 PM   #39
n8dog11914

Drives: 2013 WRB Subaru BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
Engineering in the US must not be the same as Canada. In Canada, engineering programs are accredited, not unlike medical programs. Thus, there is no "motorsports engineering" or "bridge engineering". Both would be specializations within mechanical and civil engineering, respectively, and wouldn't even be given those names. It seems in the US, "engineering" is used much more lightly.
These types of programs are VERY specific and rare and specifically cater to local industries (like the NASCAR teams here in the Charlotte, NC area).

All traditional engineering schools (MIT, Cal Tech, Georgia Tech, Va Tech, etc) are accredited.
n8dog11914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:27 PM   #40
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
And that annoys the hell out of me. http://www.abet.org/
Old 11-03-2014, 10:15 PM   #41
navanodd

Drives: 2013 BRZ Sport-tech WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I'm currently about 6 months away from graduating with my Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering. From what I've been able to gather, if you're dead set on design and research then go ahead and look at a master's program. Only reason I can see for a PhD in engineering is to be a professor.

Keep in mind that most engineering jobs are not strictly or even majority design based. Much of it ends up being various forms of management and planning.

There's two common things I've seen engineers do after working for a few years. Many people get a Masters in Business Administration and some others works towards a Project Management Professional designation.

Personally, the overwhelming attitude I see is to get experience. I would try and find a job that would give me experience that I could build on in my intended career path and evaluate if I also wanted more formal education once I had gained enough experience to obtain the Professional Engineer designation (I'm assuming this works similarly in the US as Canada).

Remember that the learning process doesn't stop once you leave school. In my experience at least, on the job learning is a whole lot more important and applicable than 90% of my courses.
navanodd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to navanodd For This Useful Post:
akahenry (03-30-2015)
Old 11-03-2014, 10:20 PM   #42
Hot Lava
The Antiriced

Drives: women wild
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
And that annoys the hell out of me. http://www.abet.org/
OP, this. Go ABET or go home. A BA is not an Engineering degree, period. Beware of any program that is not ABET certified. Any school can hang the word Engineering on a degree. Dude, you're in Seattle for gods sake. You're tripping over ABET certified programs every other block in that city.

BSME, working in aerospace manufacturing.
Hot Lava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hot Lava For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (11-03-2014), Ultramaroon (11-03-2014)