follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-01-2017, 10:42 AM   #15
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Spaulding View Post
Or you could just save up a bit more and buy a Cayman.

Thinking about it, though, the twins are so good that if Subie ever did put a wrx motor in one of these it could be a Cayman killer. Don't get me wrong, the Cayman is a fabulous car, but a bullet proof 270-300 whp BRZ would be a giant killer. I know, I know, this is oooollllddd news, but I've been looking at Caymans (or is it Caymen?) and in a number of ways I like the BRZ better.
This will never happen. Sorry ...
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:49 AM   #16
gtengr

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Thinking about it, though, the twins are so good that if Subie ever did put a wrx motor in one of these it could be a Cayman killer. Don't get me wrong, the Cayman is a fabulous car, but a bullet proof 270-300 whp BRZ would be a giant killer. I know, I know, this is oooollllddd news, but I've been looking at Caymans (or is it Caymen?) and in a number of ways I like the BRZ better.
This is a good question to ask yourself before buying, as you will have paid for a nice used 987S by the time you buy a used 86 and add up all the things you need for FI. If you end up blowing the stock motor on top that probably could've been a 981S.
gtengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:16 AM   #17
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
This will never happen. Sorry ...
Unfortunately, that isn't a shock. I guess my primary point is, I don't really care. For my uses and money, the BRZ is the best thing out there. Another 50 or so ponies would be nice, but for my driving style and uses, I would very seldom turn 'em loose. I love to listening to 6 cyl Pcar engines and think it would be orgasmic to sit in front of one. But, I prefer the lines of the Subie and the lower end cabin appointments are not a problem.

After looking pretty closely at the various generations of Porsche I concluded I'm in my happy place now. The key is the first person singular.
nikitopo (10-01-2017)
Old 10-01-2017, 12:17 PM   #18
R_E_L
He's got this.

Drives: 50th Anni BRZ
Quote:

A Cayman S was also something I was considering but 987.2s I was looking for are hard to find due to their low production numbers and the few available examples have recently inflated in price a bit. The older cars still had the occasional IMS issues so I'd rather avoid that if possible.
Old 10-01-2017, 03:03 PM   #19
Brayden_23

Drives: Asphalt 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I read somewhere that it was recommended to boost to any level below 400hp. It was actually recommended to not waste time + money building the motor; it is held together with an insane amount of sealant that is tough to put back together correctly. Wish I could remember the source, but overall it was just stated to boost it, have fun, and when it blows just grab another engine for cheap.
Brayden_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 01:01 AM   #20
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Hey porsche are all kinds of wonderful for sure but buying a used porsche can be a gamble if you need any work done near the engine.

*friend had a cayman that need water pump replaced, needless to say it didn't end pretty.
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chaoskaze For This Useful Post:
Capt Spaulding (10-03-2017), nikitopo (10-03-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 10:32 PM   #21
Snake

Drives: ADM Toyota 86 GT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Friend of mine bought a second hand 996 Carrera a few years back and found that when booting it, it dumped a huge amount of oil smoke out the tail pipe. Spent heaps of money trying work out what the problem was. In the end it turns out that the car was delivered with the wrong length dip stick, meaning it was dumping oil due to being over-filled with oil. Porsches are money pits, unless you end up buying one before its price goes through the roof.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snake For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (10-03-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 12:04 AM   #22
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Snake: BUT! He very probably got it for below average price, as previous owner and dealership couldn't find cause of smoke!
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:24 PM   #23
Snake

Drives: ADM Toyota 86 GT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Snake: BUT! He very probably got it for below average price, as previous owner and dealership couldn't find cause of smoke!
I don't think so unfortunately, he only found the issue after booting it on track for several minutes. Getting into it on the street, it doesn't blow any smoke.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:09 PM   #24
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2005 Honda S2000
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_E_L View Post
I was gonna create a thread to ask this very question and figured I would revive this one to see if the consensus has changed at all.

After driving the car a handful of times I feel that for me, the torque is not enough. So FI would be a must for me if I get into one of these cars. I have been wondering which car would offer the best reliability and value once boosted between a used 2013-16 car and a refreshed car with a performance pack and all the recent updates.

For those with the new cars who have since gone FI, are you satisfied with the decision you made?
Hey My thread got revived!

So its been a while since i made this thread and my car has gone through a lot of changes.

To answer your question though, i had an Edelbrock Supercharger installed and then after 6 months i took it off. I have a MY 16' for reference.

Why did i take it off? I didnt like how it made the car feel. And while i probably could have spent some more time with Delicious on the tune, it was the small things the tune didnt have any control over. Weight of the SC on the engine, vibrations due to that extra weight, just how SC are in general with power delivery.

My friend has a 2013 FRS with the SBD turbo kit on it. We both went to a Dyno on the same day and ran our cars. I made 240 whp and 190lbs of torque. He made 250 whp and 200 lbs of torque.

As mentioned above its a pick two game. His SBD kit he got used for 1400$ and then did the install himself. It makes more power than mine and can easily climb even further. However he was having an overboosting issue, and has had to do multiple things of maintenance on the car since then. In the time i've had the supercharger i've had to....change the oil. Once. No issues with the kit at all. But my pick two was Reliability/Power. I paid almost 7k for all the work done since i had someone else install the Kit.

At the end of the day i'm running UEL headers (mid range torque) and i'll be installing a Flex Fuel kit soon as i live right next to a station that sells E85. I would recommend that route first as with a good tune you can hit about 180lbs a torque with E85 and a good header and tune. That might be all you need its a hell of a lot more reliable and cheaper than going FI.
2016 Limited MT WR Blue BRZ | Delicious Flash n Go Tune | Delicious Flex Fuel Kit | Nameless 2.5" with 5" Mufflers | JDL UEL Headers | Bayson R Diffuser/Side Skirts | APR Front Splitter | VIS Racing GT Wing | ST Suspension Coilovers | Grammlights Rays 57CR 17x9 +38 | Sumitomo HTR Z iii 235/45/17 |
Xxyion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:30 PM   #25
JoeC

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
he only found the issue after booting it on track for several minutes.
What does that mean?
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:31 PM   #26
gtengr

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxyion View Post
Why did i take it off? I didnt like how it made the car feel. And while i probably could have spent some more time with Delicious on the tune, it was the small things the tune didnt have any control over. Weight of the SC on the engine, vibrations due to that extra weight, just how SC are in general with power delivery.
Did you have stock engine mounts? The stock mounts feel inadequate to me on the stock motor, I suspect it's much worse with FI.
gtengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 01:21 PM   #27
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2005 Honda S2000
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtengr View Post
Did you have stock engine mounts? The stock mounts feel inadequate to me on the stock motor, I suspect it's much worse with FI.
Yeah stock mounts. I was considering better mounts as well as a dampener however for me it was also the way it drove. I'm more of a mid rangey power/torque guy and the SC just accentuates the properties of the car by putting even more power into the top end and adding some low end torque. Now that i'm back to NA with a header and tune, honestly my car doesnt feel that much slower...maybe a bit less torquey, but that speaks a lot to how i drive and want my car to drive.
2016 Limited MT WR Blue BRZ | Delicious Flash n Go Tune | Delicious Flex Fuel Kit | Nameless 2.5" with 5" Mufflers | JDL UEL Headers | Bayson R Diffuser/Side Skirts | APR Front Splitter | VIS Racing GT Wing | ST Suspension Coilovers | Grammlights Rays 57CR 17x9 +38 | Sumitomo HTR Z iii 235/45/17 |
Xxyion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 01:30 PM   #28
JSube

Drives: 2017 ISM PP BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxyion View Post
Hey My thread got revived!

So its been a while since i made this thread and my car has gone through a lot of changes.

To answer your question though, i had an Edelbrock Supercharger installed and then after 6 months i took it off. I have a MY 16' for reference.

My friend has a 2013 FRS with the SBD turbo kit on it. We both went to a Dyno on the same day and ran our cars. I made 240 whp and 190lbs of torque. He made 250 whp and 200 lbs of torque.

As mentioned above its a pick two game. His SBD kit he got used for 1400$ and then did the install himself. It makes more power than mine and can easily climb even further. However he was having an overboosting issue, and has had to do multiple things of maintenance on the car since then. In the time i've had the supercharger i've had to....change the oil. Once. No issues with the kit at all. But my pick two was Reliability/Power. I paid almost 7k for all the work done since i had someone else install the Kit.

At the end of the day i'm running UEL headers (mid range torque) and i'll be installing a Flex Fuel kit soon as i live right next to a station that sells E85. I would recommend that route first as with a good tune you can hit about 180lbs a torque with E85 and a good header and tune. That might be all you need its a hell of a lot more reliable and cheaper than going FI.
It's a fine line between enhancing a good car and "redesigning" it with mods. I've gone a bit too far with pointless/regrettable mods on other cars before and have lost my appetite for it. Big power output changes have to be done with auxiliary system upgrades as well, and that's often a painful trip to the bottom of a budget as you realize you aren't qualified to make a Subaru into a GT3.
Coming out of a '15 STI after being unhappy with the AWD platform, the leap of faith I had to make was whether a beautifully balanced RWD platform would overcome the low HP compared to the STI. Mostly it has, but I'm willing to go as far as the ACE header/Over/Front pipes and tune to get a more linear power delivery and bit more HP & torque. After that, the car just is what it is and that will have to be fine with me. Since it's so close to that already, I feel pretty confident.
JSube is offline   Reply With Quote