follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 09-07-2017, 03:53 PM   #1
Danklvr

Drives: 2014 FR-S 6MT Argento
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Danklvr
OFT Failed to Write - Tune File Erased

So I was updating my tune this morning, making MAF scale adjustments to the tune i have been running for about 2500 miles... I have edited this tune file many times, ans I know I am using the correct ecu deff, as i have edited and flashed before with no issues.

I began to flash the update today, everything was going fine.. OFT connected, erased the existing tune file, and wrote 20% of the new tune before giving me the error "Cannot communicate with ECU - Key on and confirm".

Now I cannot flash a new tune - "Cannot communicate with ECU - Key on and Confirm", and I cannot start the car..

I have disconnected the battery for 5 minutes, but to no avail...

Am I fuckzored, or is there anything i can do?

How ya gonna keep 'em down on the farm once they've seen Karl Hungus?
Danklvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:46 PM   #2
Danklvr

Update -
I disconnected the battery again for 10 minutes, and tried to flash the stock rom.
The first 2 times I got the same error message, but the third time the stock rom successfully flashed.

I ran the car for about 5 minutes, and then was able to flash my modded tune file back on the car without issues.

Hope this info helps anyone who may experience similar issues.

Old 09-07-2017, 05:43 PM   #3
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
My two wild guesses of reasons might be insufficient charge in battery or bad OBD connector contact.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 02:01 AM   #4
Vin

Drives: 2012 GT86 EU-spec
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thanks for sharing. You must have gone crazy when it happened, this is why I'm always a bit scared when flashing.. Good to know it can be fixed
Old 09-08-2017, 02:44 AM   #5
Danklvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Thanks for sharing. You must have gone crazy when it happened, this is why I'm always a bit scared when flashing.. Good to know it can be fixed
You can imagine my grin of joy fading into a look of confusion and horror, as I watch the tune upload stop mid stream! Initially I was ready to crap myself! Then I started going down the list of things to try... reset OFT to OBD connection, reflash, reset battery/ecu, flash stock rom, repeat...

Dunno why, but something told me to hookup to Techstream. It pulled in my vin# and ecu info, so I figured all was not lost, and I tried flashing the stock rom back again.

I know Techstream had nothing to do with the fix, most likely was a bad connection to OBD to begin with.

I am always very good about checking the connection, and usually I'll throw it on real time data display for a few minutes and have a once or twice around the neighborhood to warm up to operating temp before flashing just to make sure everything is communicating nicely.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Danklvr For This Useful Post:
steve99 (09-08-2017), Teseo (09-08-2017), Vin (09-08-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 07:26 AM   #6
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Ok thats good news

Id say check your battery volts, put a litfle load on battery ie jist ignition on or park lights see if volts drops below 12 if so its likely that that may cause flashing issues.
The oft will not flash if car vattery volts falls too far.

Also cgeck your obd conndction safest way is to get logging started on oft. While logging running wiggle cavles and port and see if you get any errors.

Obd port on 2013 amd earlier cars are often bad

Luckly the ecu are cheap like 100 usa and easily replaced with simple proceedure

These ecu are much harder to brick than the old wrx ecu. Generally yo need to flash ecu with badly modified rom to brick it. If rom is good it hsrd to brick, if write fails you will usually recover due boot rom area. Proble is if you write sucessfully and eom send processor off in a loop your screwed nost of the Time
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote