follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 03-18-2017, 02:34 AM   #715
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqkHavok View Post
hello, guys im hoping this is the correct thread for this, ive read through the first 10 pages solid, and about 75% of the rest, i have a decent grasp on whats going on here, but many of the specifics are a bit confusing...

here is my problem.. i got that damn P0016 CEL/slip light code.. dealership already done there flow chart diagnostics and they replaced the OCV on that cam... code still there, and issue not fixed.. they now want my car for extended time, and will not guarantee that it will be covered.... ive been reading up on it, and my own run down, and everything has been pointing to the ECU.. but they dont want to just flash the with the updated firmware/ROM as they have "procedures" to fallow before getting to that point... and if i want to get them to do that, ima have to either pay out of pocket or spend and extended amount of time with SoA.... but before i go that route i wanted to see if there was something that i could do myself (i usually do all the work on my cars, and this was my first time trying to let the dealership handle it, being a newer car and all..) it would seem that it is quite a direct fix: a cable and an ecu off ebay... ( and some resourceful aid...

so this is where i am now... im ready to get those two items, but before i pull the trigger i want to be sure that i can do what i need to:

my car is a 2014 BRZ MT, USA... i would like to install the second hand ecu (assuming i should be looking for a 2013-2016?) and flash it with the latest OEM ROM for the car that should have the solution for the software glitch that was causing this...

so what im asking is some help with what files do i need to DL to be able to flash the replacement ECU??

im a bit confused in regards to the definitions and base file vs etc? sorry... after a bit i get lost in all the terminology... why i never got into programming...

thank you in advance to whom ever is able to help me with this

Ok,

If your car is a 2014 then their are no software updates to ecu needed, your ECU calibration ID is likely ZA1JD00C and their are no factory updates, they were all for 2013 and earlier cars.

The P0016/17 cam codes can be caused by multiple sources like oil control valve, the actual cam sprocket/actuator the cam sensor and even as you say a hardware problem with ECU.

Their are several TSB out and extensive test proceedures, it is a difficult fault to track down.

If you rearly wanted to replace the ecu with another unit it is possible, just get yourself another ECU from a 2012-2016, I think you would be better with later model, auto and manual ecu are same.

seen them as cheap as $70usd on ebay. here is an example, note make sure they don't sell you a steering ecu or a vcs ecu you need the engine ecu

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013SUBARU-B...hX8YXJ&vxp=mtr

Then you just need to flash it with the correct calibration ID for your car likely ZA1JD00D .

you would need a Tactrix adapter to do this another $170

I would let the dealer do all they can under warrantee before you get involved

ecu replacement procedure here

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102810

steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:36 AM   #716
steve99
Banned

here is another cheaper one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ENGINE-CONTR...lXrP8A&vxp=mtr
Old 03-18-2017, 03:58 AM   #717
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I'm not sure why they wouldn't cover this issue as it's not your fault this has happened. I would expect them to swap the whole AVCS systems between the banks and see what happens, all should be covered under warranty. ECU changes aren't going to make any difference as @steve99 pointed out you're already running a calibration that was released for this. We assume that all this did was change tolerances for the code to pop up, it won't correct the hardware issues that cause this.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:41 AM   #718
BlaqkHavok

Drives: 2014 DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
If your car is a 2014 then their are no software updates to ecu needed, your ECU calibration ID is likely ZA1JD00C and their are no factory updates, they were all for 2013 and earlier cars.
excuse my ignorance in htis, but is it posible to use the fash from a 2016? as in would there be any issues with that? i suppose what im asking for, is it posible to use the verry last factory map for this gen fa20 from a 2016? or is it all the same after 2013 till the revised 2017 itteration?

Quote:
The P0016/17 cam codes can be caused by multiple sources like oil control valve, the actual cam sprocket/actuator the cam sensor and even as you say a hardware problem with ECU.
i have had the car in the service dep at my local dealership, they have already fallowed the flow chart that eliminated the sensor as the fault, (by them switching to another bank/cam, and see if the code fallows, it didnt ) and from that they replaced the OCV after a wait for parts... that did not fix it either.... from what i have read on this forum, the other posibility that could be an actual mechanical part is the cam sproket, but that is always accompanied with violent shaking, poor idle, and geniral engine operation tomfoolery... and im not getting any of that, just the code that is keeping the car in limp mode... i have been looking at the threads that adderess this code and some are reporting having to replace the ecu, and even the CAN buss unit before the problem is solved... so i was looking to try and circumvent having to deal with SoA and a 2 month down time with no accertion that the issue will be solved or that im going to ge charged for the work done/parts replaced....

Quote:
Their are several TSB out and extensive test proceedures, it is a difficult fault to track down.
so im finding out and there seems to be a difference of minds on how to tackle the issue depending on if you talk to toyota, or subaru...

Quote:
If you really wanted to replace the ecu with another unit it is possible, just get yourself another ECU from a 2012-2016, I think you would be better with later model, auto and manual ecu are same.
thank you for this!! i was not sure about the MT vs AT, i had ment to ask in my initial post, but forgot to..

Quote:
seen them as cheap as $70usd on ebay. here is an example, note make sure they don't sell you a steering ecu or a vcs ecu you need the engine ecu

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013SUBARU-B...hX8YXJ&vxp=mtr
thank you for this too i was seeing a number of units on ebay, but they would use "stock" photos and they not really indicative of the item and seemed a bit off...

T
Quote:
hen you just need to flash it with the correct calibration ID for your car likely ZA1JD00D .

you would need a Tactrix adapter to do this another $170
thank you!!!!

Quote:
I would let the dealer do all they can under warrantee before you get involved
the problem showed up at 58k and the car now has 60.5k.. i purchased the car off a lot and got the extended powertrain warrente but subaru says it is not covered under the powertrain.. so this is my perdicament... and why i was looking at limiting my overall down time... the purchase of the ECU will allow me to test my posible solution, and still have SoA handle it if it does not pan out...

Quote:
ecu replacement procedure here

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102810

thank you so much!!!!!

awesome!!! my first call out for help on this forum, and you have made it verry plesant!!! Thank You!!!
BlaqkHavok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:24 AM   #719
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqkHavok View Post
excuse my ignorance in htis, but is it posible to use the fash from a 2016? as in would there be any issues with that? i suppose what im asking for, is it posible to use the verry last factory map for this gen fa20 from a 2016? or is it all the same after 2013 till the revised 2017 itteration?

If you try to run newer ecu code in older car it may not work , however I do know that the 2013 software B01C will work in all cars from 2012-2016.

The only factory updated relivant to cam issuses were completed in 2013 so no need to try 2016 firmware in your 2014, just use the 2014 firmware which for manual will be D00C or the 2013 B01C will work as well.
Old 05-02-2017, 04:21 PM   #720
sebasapri

Drives: Develop
I everyone ! i have a problem with ROMRAIDER. I attached a pic, i readed all post, i downloaded the filex xml but still dont work. I dont understand.
Thanks for your time.
Attached Files
File Type: zip error2.zip (139.1 KB, 104 views)

Last edited by sebasapri; 05-02-2017 at 04:24 PM. Reason: insert pic
sebasapri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:41 PM   #721
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebasapri View Post
I everyone ! i have a problem with ROMRAIDER. I attached a pic, i readed all post, i downloaded the filex xml but still dont work. I dont understand.
Thanks for your time.
that means you dont have a matching definition file for the rom your trying to open.

are you trying to open a A01G rom ?
Old 05-04-2017, 01:44 PM   #722
sebasapri

Drives: Develop
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
that means you dont have a matching definition file for the rom your trying to open.
are you trying to open a A01G rom ?
Hi Steve , thanks for answering! i can opened , the RR file definition was missing, but i have anothe problem a lot of windows with msj DTC .

Table editing has been disabled.
Definition file or ROM image may be corrupt.
table: (P0011) CAMSHAFT POS. - TIMING OVER-ADVANCED 1

i attched the file .
Attached Files
File Type: txt Error carga romraider.txt (2.6 KB, 172 views)
sebasapri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 03:15 PM   #723
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Sounds like wrong definition.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 04:39 PM   #724
Jaden
Road-hole

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
live logging...

Anyone have any idea if there's a time frame for the live logging features for ecuflash?

Jaden
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:08 PM   #725
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Anyone have any idea if there's a time frame for the live logging features for ecuflash?

Jaden
Only method at preent is logging to sd card if you know rom calid parameter ram addresses.

Alternative is to use techstream with your tactrix dongle but its a bit slow for knock related parameters but works on all ecucalid.

Or buy a copy of brzedit lite $100 usd but it may only log single vehicle not sure.
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Jaden (05-04-2017)
Old 05-04-2017, 08:09 PM   #726
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebasapri View Post
Hi Steve , thanks for answering! i can opened , the RR file definition was missing, but i have anothe problem a lot of windows with msj DTC .

Table editing has been disabled.
Definition file or ROM image may be corrupt.
table: (P0011) CAMSHAFT POS. - TIMING OVER-ADVANCED 1

i attched the file .

Post up you rom and ill have a look with hex editor so se whats going on
Old 05-04-2017, 11:14 PM   #727
Jaden
Road-hole

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
yeah I know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Only method at preent is logging to sd card if you know rom calid parameter ram addresses.

Alternative is to use techstream with your tactrix dongle but its a bit slow for knock related parameters but works on all ecucalid.

Or buy a copy of brzedit lite $100 usd but it may only log single vehicle not sure.
I have techstream, I've been logging via the SD storage. Just wanting to be able to street tune it live and they've been advertising that they were working on live logging for it seems like forever.

I've worked some with evoscan but they only support obdII logging. I'd pay the 100 for brzedit if I could verify that it works for flkc but I've had trouble getting it to work right.

For now I'll just live tune with wideband and use the SD logs I guess, but live tuning would be nice ya know...

Take it easy.

Jaden
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:32 AM   #728
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
I have techstream, I've been logging via the SD storage. Just wanting to be able to street tune it live and they've been advertising that they were working on live logging for it seems like forever.

I've worked some with evoscan but they only support obdII logging. I'd pay the 100 for brzedit if I could verify that it works for flkc but I've had trouble getting it to work right.

For now I'll just live tune with wideband and use the SD logs I guess, but live tuning would be nice ya know...

Take it easy.

Jaden
Brzedit has excelent logging large number of parameters and is used by pro tuners. Id be very supprised if flkc did not work on brzedit, but best to email the brzedit guys with your rom calid to confirm, it definitly has realtime ligging and dash diaplays cgeck out their website

Tags
ecuflash, tactrix, taxtrix, tuning