follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Old 02-08-2013, 10:37 AM   #589
thorlius
Canadian

Drives: Frieda: Firestorm/MT (11/28/2012)
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Fun drive today! These cars are too light and low for these conditions.

Highlights I caught on the dashcam today:
-A Grocery Gateway mini truck just carving the roads. Smashing through corners piled with 1-2ft of snow. Good luck for those who ordered online groceries.
-A Sienna minivan swerving into a snowbank almost as high as the van to avoid hitting the car in front.
-Me driving really slowly, trying to turn right at an intersection, but understeering (zero-steering?) anyways and nearly hitting a car waiting to turn left at a light.
-Me fishtailing almost every time I try to accelerate.

Excited to see what the commute back home has in store for me.
thorlius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:05 PM   #590
Slartibartfast
Klaatu barada nikto

Drives: Raven FR-S MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
"KW BlizzardWatch 2013" or "Fluffy Death from the Sky"

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorlius View Post
Fun drive today! These cars are too light and low for these conditions.

Highlights I caught on the dashcam today:
-A Grocery Gateway mini truck just carving the roads. Smashing through corners piled with 1-2ft of snow. Good luck for those who ordered online groceries.
-A Sienna minivan swerving into a snowbank almost as high as the van to avoid hitting the car in front.
-Me driving really slowly, trying to turn right at an intersection, but understeering (zero-steering?) anyways and nearly hitting a car waiting to turn left at a light.
-Me fishtailing almost every time I try to accelerate.

Excited to see what the commute back home has in store for me.

Just be carefull. All of you. It's not that I think any of you will lose the back end or anything. It's the other people on the road that I worry about. There are so many people who don't drive according to the conditions. Or, the SUV's that think they have all the traction in the world, only to find that stopping a two ton vehicle can be rather daunting.

Watch your backs!
@thorlius if it's easy for you to do, and if you feel the videos are worthy, you should post up a video or two.

I vow to do no harm.
2013 Raven FR-S Manual "Lenore"
1985 Silver RX-7 GSL-SE (Gone and missed)
Slartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:08 PM   #591
thorlius
Canadian

Garage
I'll try to remember to grab the card when I get home from work and post anything good I find.
The Following User Says Thank You to thorlius For This Useful Post:
Slartibartfast (02-08-2013)
Old 02-08-2013, 02:38 PM   #592
Slartibartfast
Klaatu barada nikto

Drives: Raven FR-S MT
Garage
Ugh... Here's the view out my window today. Man, I can't wait til spring!
Attached Images

I vow to do no harm.
2013 Raven FR-S Manual "Lenore"
1985 Silver RX-7 GSL-SE (Gone and missed)
Slartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:13 PM   #593
engsr

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfast View Post
It's the other people on the road that I worry about. There are so many people who don't drive according to the conditions.
This is why I'm working from the comforts of home. Last week when it snowed I saw some dumbass lose it on Albert. As I posted yesterday, a lot of moron drivers out there, I didn't want to take any chances today. Plus, I don't think my car would have made it down the street - saw three to four cars get stuck this morning.

@Demandred7 - might have been a turbo, considering how this guy was driving. I've spotted a few of these in my area but this guy had a personalized plate so it will be easy to pick him out again.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #594
naking

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine AT FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I actually don't find this car to be bad in the snow at all! Okay, yes I did understeer a few corners, but nothing major.....and I did bottom out at the bottom of my driveway, but I easily (and slowly) got out by just rocking the car! I could easily keep up to trucks/SUV's/whatever when accelerating at a stop light. Maybe it's the tires I have....or the extra 40Kg I put in the trunk...maybe even the fact that it's an AT (don't know if there's a difference...have never driven stick). I really like this car in the snow. I was even offered to borrow a 5 Series when I run out later tonight, but I'm definitely more confident about my car. I know the weather and roads were horrible today, but does anybody else like this car in the snow?
naking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:06 PM   #595
BreezinBy

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
@naking I love it in the snow! Feel so much safer in it than my old Mazda P5 which was downright scary. Having said that I worked from home today. Didn't think I had a chance clearing the snow on our side streets.
Hope everyone made their drives safely today!

Elsa
BreezinBy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:05 AM   #596
Demandred7

Drives: 2018 Camry XSE V6
I wasn't going to take my car yesterday, but, the plow came by in enough time to clear the neighborhood out and I actually prefer to drive it because it is so communicative as to what it is doing compared to the Sienna and I had no issues getting to work. The problem was that the work parking lot was completely un-plowed and I ended up getting stuck. Thankfully I have a shovel in the trunk and was able to clear out the snow that caused me to bottom out. The traction control kept intervening, so, I ended up deactivating it and then gave her a good goose and was eventually able to park my car after clearing some of the snow away. No issues on the way home. So far, I haven't given in to not taking the FR-S despite the crappy weather.
Demandred7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:17 AM   #597
Demandred7

Drives: 2018 Camry XSE V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by engsr View Post
This is why I'm working from the comforts of home. Last week when it snowed I saw some dumbass lose it on Albert. As I posted yesterday, a lot of moron drivers out there, I didn't want to take any chances today. Plus, I don't think my car would have made it down the street - saw three to four cars get stuck this morning.

@Demandred7 - might have been a turbo, considering how this guy was driving. I've spotted a few of these in my area but this guy had a personalized plate so it will be easy to pick him out again.
The Veloster is still an ugly piece of crap regardless of the turbo. The only thing that the turbo does is to allow it to come close to our cars. He probably feels he needs to prove himself since our cars are still better.
Demandred7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:52 PM   #598
thorlius
Canadian

Garage
I actually find the Veloster pretty catchy looking from the front. It's the back of it that makes me want to throw up. As far as performance goes, even the turbo model doesn't have much going for it, other than the DCT. It's a completely different car from the twins and anyone who bought that for its performance and is jealous of (or thinks there's something to prove to) our cars is just being foolish: they could've had one for the same price.
The Following User Says Thank You to thorlius For This Useful Post:
Demandred7 (02-10-2013)
Old 02-13-2013, 10:45 AM   #599
RandomHero
SW5 Driver

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Garage
Someone flashed their hibeams at me yesterday morning on Fountain. Not sure if it was anyone here, would have flashed back but had the morning coffee in my hand and couldnt reach the lever in time!
RandomHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:03 PM   #600
jamies31

Drives: 2014 Scion Frs (Argento)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Hello all,
I'm tyring to plan a frs/ scion meet for spring. Nothing sales oriented but just enthusiasts getting together talking cars. The meet will be at the dealership, planning on some giveaways and bbq.
My question to you all is, would you be interested in coming, Also I'm thinking spring so that everyone has their cars out, When would be a good time to set a date, More than likely will either be a friday night, sat night or sunday afternoon. Also wanted to guage what day you would prefer.
Hopefully with a good turn out be something that starts happening regulary throught the summer.
Let me know your thoughts
jamies31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:49 PM   #601
RandomHero
SW5 Driver

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies31 View Post
Hello all,
I'm tyring to plan a frs/ scion meet for spring. Nothing sales oriented but just enthusiasts getting together talking cars. The meet will be at the dealership, planning on some giveaways and bbq.
My question to you all is, would you be interested in coming, Also I'm thinking spring so that everyone has their cars out, When would be a good time to set a date, More than likely will either be a friday night, sat night or sunday afternoon. Also wanted to guage what day you would prefer.
Hopefully with a good turn out be something that starts happening regulary throught the summer.
Let me know your thoughts
That could be cool. Personally im more available on saturdays. I think we have a few Toyota Manufacturing employees on this thread which would prefer sat or sun im sure. Im guessing a late april/early may depending on weather will be best. What dealer is looking to host this?
RandomHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:07 PM   #602
sal

Drives: 16 FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
We can do a Saturday afternoon meet? I'll have mine on the road April 1st (No Joke).
sal is offline   Reply With Quote