follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northern California

Northern California NorCal

User Tag List

Old 11-04-2016, 07:03 PM   #43
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2005 Honda S2000
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post
Yup, I do like being able to pass without down shifting, or not slowing down when going up a hill

I used to think I had one of them "high paying" jobs, then I got married and had a kid Just be reminded that it is a slippery slope. The true cost of going FI is never just from the kit, you are going beyond the original design intent of the manufacturer and you need to take into account the cost of possible down time, supporting mods, etc.

Have you tried driving an NA car with E85? Seems like a good middle ground before making the huge jump to FI.

As much as i would want to i actually dont live around any stations to constantly fill up on E85. I was thinking about flexfuel but it would honestly be kind of a waste of money as i'd barely be able to get e85.

And yeah i hear you about the money thing. Luckily i dont plan on getting married and my girlfriend just wants cats lol. She actually has been pushing me to get it because she loves the car so i've got that female backing haha.
2016 Limited MT WR Blue BRZ | Delicious Flash n Go Tune | Delicious Flex Fuel Kit | Nameless 2.5" with 5" Mufflers | JDL UEL Headers | Bayson R Diffuser/Side Skirts | APR Front Splitter | VIS Racing GT Wing | ST Suspension Coilovers | Grammlights Rays 57CR 17x9 +38 | Sumitomo HTR Z iii 235/45/17 |
Xxyion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 07:19 PM   #44
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxyion View Post
As much as i would want to i actually dont live around any stations to constantly fill up on E85. I was thinking about flexfuel but it would honestly be kind of a waste of money as i'd barely be able to get e85.
Same here. When I was in the East bay, an E85 station is a good 30 mins out of the way, so it was never worth it. But now that I'm in Sac, E85 stations are all over the place! But now I'm needing a bigger car, so eh.

Quote:
And yeah i hear you about the money thing. Luckily i dont plan on getting married and my girlfriend just wants cats lol. She actually has been pushing me to get it because she loves the car so i've got that female backing haha.
Hate to break this to you, but I think she planning on murdering you in your sleep. Ask anybody, no sane woman would want you buying an SC knowing fully what is involved j/k
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 07:33 PM   #45
StayPuft209

Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
Yup. I do the opposite. When i want my car to feel fast I drive something slower since i cant afford FI lol
lol that's one way to do it
StayPuft209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 07:35 PM   #46
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
You should buy @mkivsoopra's ptuning turbo kit

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...postcount=6129

..which he removed so he could be faster on the track - ironic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clipdat For This Useful Post:
mkivsoopra (11-05-2016)
Old 11-04-2016, 07:35 PM   #47
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post
Hate to break this to you, but I think she planning on murdering you in your sleep. Ask anybody, no sane woman would want you buying an SC knowing fully what is involved j/k
Nah we came to a compromise. She gets to own as many cats as she can afford =D
2016 Limited MT WR Blue BRZ | Delicious Flash n Go Tune | Delicious Flex Fuel Kit | Nameless 2.5" with 5" Mufflers | JDL UEL Headers | Bayson R Diffuser/Side Skirts | APR Front Splitter | VIS Racing GT Wing | ST Suspension Coilovers | Grammlights Rays 57CR 17x9 +38 | Sumitomo HTR Z iii 235/45/17 |
Old 11-04-2016, 07:36 PM   #48
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post

It actually makes sense to me. I feel like the higher the driving skill the less of the need for boost as you're good enough to keep that momentum going and dont need a quick way to catch back up from a bad turn or whatever.
Old 11-04-2016, 08:00 PM   #49
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Damn, it seems like you've got this all figured out.

Quote:
It actually makes sense to me. I feel like the higher the driving skill the less of the need for boost as you're good enough to keep that momentum going and dont need a quick way to catch back up from a bad turn or whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 08:06 PM   #50
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Quote:
Damn, it seems like you've got this all figured out.
lol hardly
Old 11-04-2016, 10:02 PM   #51
Sapphireho
Pressure fried

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,204 Times in 8,592 Posts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
I realized, I never answered your questions.

1. I have JRSC C30 kit with DW 700cc injectors, 300c fuel pump, flex fuel kit and tune by Bill of Delicious. I have been told by guys at a couple shops that are highly talked about on this site that I should have no problem when smog comes due since I have stock exhaust and magic CARB sticker for hardware.

2. When I first installed the supercharger I had the JR CARB tune. Put out 185 hp. Then 4bar MAP and tune up out 231, then injectors blah blah and I'm at like 240+ with gas and 310 with e85.

3. Have about 5k miles on the Setup. Haven't had a single problem with the car in 11k miles..

4. More power everywhere.

5. No, but I would be happy to give you a ride if we ever meet.

6. Your welcome.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 12:11 AM   #52
Shaun Perry

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlookedx View Post
One piece of advice: don't ride in a FI twin unless you're absolutely sure you want it and have the means right at that moment. I've seen what happens when people get rides in FI cars ( or get a tour of the Edelbrock factory ) and they are likely to do it themselves very soon after. How could it possibly be bad? It'll just leave you wanting for that power level right when you get back in your own car

This is the exact reason why I went turbo. Not even a month after my ride I placed my order for everything.

When I sat again in the same car that at that time just upgraded to running flex fuel with the turbo. I again went and did the same right after.

NA is perfectly fine and I do miss how it ran with my stage 1 OFT tune and full bolt ons but there's something about the surge of power you feel when the boost starts building.
SBD Turbo V2 | OFT Flexfuel Kit; Tuned by Shiv @10psi | Nameless 2.5in. 1-piece OP/FP | Full Custom Center Exit/SS dual tip cat-back exhaust | KateCOOL Oil Cooler | Mishimoto T-Stat sandwhich plate | ACT XT Street Clutch Kit; 10.5lb flywheel | RSR Black-i Coilovers | Rota Torque 17x9 +30 | Bayson R front lip/side skirts/rear spats and rear windshield visor
Shaun Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shaun Perry For This Useful Post:
overlookedx (11-05-2016)
Old 11-05-2016, 04:26 AM   #53
mkivsoopra

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 161 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

@Xxyion let me know if you're interested or have FI questions in general
mkivsoopra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 04:30 AM   #54
PMok
Codename: Stitch

Drives: 91 MR2; 06 IS350; 16 BRZ; 18 CX-5
Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,307 Posts
Mentioned: 462 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlookedx View Post
One piece of advice: don't ride in a FI twin unless you're absolutely sure you want it and have the means right at that moment. I've seen what happens when people get rides in FI cars ( or get a tour of the Edelbrock factory ) and they are likely to do it themselves very soon after. How could it possibly be bad? It'll just leave you wanting for that power level right when you get back in your own car
this happened to me ... I avoided driving friends' FI cars even when they offered, because I knew I would want boost myself if I did... until one night a friend practically begged me to drive his car home because he was dead tired... so I did... and as expected that did it. I sold my other awesome handling but underpowered sports car (MR2 ZZW30) to fund the supercharger project...
Old 11-05-2016, 06:57 PM   #55
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkivsoopra View Post

@Xxyion let me know if you're interested or have FI questions in general
Thanks man i appreciate it!
Old 12-08-2016, 08:54 PM   #56
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Kinda resurrecting this thread but a small update. I decided to go with the Edelbrock supercharger. I realized that CARB is pretty important to me so i went with a kit that had a CARB legal tune.

Reason's i went with this kit over other kits with CARB legal tunes (WORKS turbo).

It comes with a warranty. This is big for me. Especially cuz this is a new car. It also has a lot of nice low end torque which for me is where i want it. Having driven my new Fiesta ST a bunch i realize i really like torque in the 3000-4000 range and the Edelbrock kit has more low end torque than the Jackson Racing kit (from what i've researched). This kit also has a lot of recommendations from people who own it as well as multiple mechanics.

So the kit gets installed Saturday and i cant wait. Super excited.