follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 12-12-2012, 09:17 AM   #57
Yruyur

Drives: Scion fr-s asphalt M/T
Thanked 1,631 Times in 941 Posts
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yruyur View Post
My thoughts on how to start the reverse engineer process for the oil temp.

Should also be able to do similar with other sensors of this type on the car

Basically getting just the oil temp to change without getting any other sensor to change so as to narrow down in the ton of data where the oil temp data is.

Locate oil temp sensor.(I have heard its on the bottom of the oil filter assembly)

Get a heating pad

Heat up the heating pad.

Using an infrared thermometer find the max temp achieved by heating pad

Put key to position that oil temp will start being displayed, I think the acc or on position, I will need to confirm with my ecutek cable

Start data logging

Get a first temperature reading of the oil assembly without the heating pad using the infrared thermometer

Wrap oil filter assembly with heating pad. Leave for about an hour to allow the entire assembly to get heat soaked.

Take a second temp reading of oil assembly

Review the data

Find what data moved

Now that you have the PID that is moving you must determine how the data translates into the cold temp reading you got and the high temp reading that you got

That should be the PID and the equation needed for the custom PID in torque

Anyone want to do the leg work on this one since I'm 2000k from my car?

Sent from my flux capacitor using Taptalk
I have a 4 day weekend so will try this this weekend.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:27 AM   #58
Brody602
Drift King

Drives: '13 Firestorm FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft_sjo View Post
Can you guys keep the device chat out of this thread please? 3 pages and not a single pid!
Well its also interesting to talk about device/setup information, if it wasn't for that this thread would be 10 pages back on the forum, currently no one has brought to my attention any PID'S that they have figured out, I can assure you that when someone does, I will promptly update the first page with the information said person has provided, as previously stated the main focus of this thread is PID'S, but also for general discussion of devices and setups. You're more then welcome at taking a shot at getting the proper PID'S we're interested in.

Brody

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectD View Post
Congrats! Pics...or it didn't happen!!!! lol

I am currently waiting for my 7 as well. I decided on the 7 vs the Nexus 10 (for in car use). Didn't really feel the need to have something bigger just for daily car use. The 10....on the other hand....i can enjoy watching/ streaming vids with all its viewing pleasure. Are you deciding on the Pro Clip?

Does anyone else have other suggestions for mounting (aside from the Pro-clip and Spartan65)?

well then....
well I don't have an FRS quite yet, :P and my cheap eBay mount hasn't arrived so not much point of pics of a tablet on its own lol. Yes I really like the position of the pro clip i think, I also like the kropsson mount that batman has posted.

Brody

Last edited by Brody602; 12-12-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Brody602 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brody602 For This Useful Post:
CxG (01-12-2017)
Old 12-16-2012, 05:12 PM   #59
Brody602
Drift King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yruyur View Post
I have a 4 day weekend so will try this this weekend.

Any updates on this?
Old 12-19-2012, 11:15 AM   #60
ProjectD

Drives: '04 350Z/ 2013 LR BRZ (LM)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xn7485 View Post
Getting a Nexus 7 this week, got a Proclip to use with it. Might be trading proclip mount for the beatrush one when it comes out. I think it's an awesome alternative to actual gauges.

There is no glare from the display, it's just the camera with sun right in front of it. Got the charger looped around behind and into glovebox charger. It's slightly in the way of headunit, but all corner touch controls are still operable.

This mount clips where center console joins with dash, and clips in vent. It's a little close to headunit, so I might 'upgrade' to Beatrush's mount that goes in the slit to the right a little.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman View Post
I have my nexus 7 mounted right on the dash with the Kroppson, its awesome! Pics in the build album on my profile, if the one below doesn't work

I've been meaning to ask either of you, did any of you guys opt to purchase the Full version vs the Lite (Free) version of Torque? I got my N7 in the mail and I am still waiting for my Pro Clip. Apparently, they "forgot" to ship it nor did they remember to send me an email notifying me of any updates....sigh.

2 days later....still no email. BAD PRO CLIP, BAD!

Also, ive been playing around with the settings and i cant for the life of me find the setting to allow the guages to be resized to where it 6 can fit the entire screen comfortably (like xn7485) picture. Am I missing something? ive tried display settings, N7 settings, OBD2 settings (why not)....how can I resize the guages to fit all 6? Thanks guys!
ProjectD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:34 AM   #61
Yruyur

Drives: Scion fr-s asphalt M/T
Thanked 1,631 Times in 941 Posts
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Sorry I didnt have a chance to test. I was out of town test e85 cold start.

I do have the full version of torque.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:19 PM   #62
Batman
Easy, Tiger.

Drives: Tiguan, S4, SBC 350 Wrangler
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
I've been meaning to ask either of you, did any of you guys opt to purchase the Full version vs the Lite (Free) version of Torque? I got my N7 in the mail and I am still waiting for my Pro Clip. Apparently, they "forgot" to ship it nor did they remember to send me an email notifying me of any updates....sigh.

2 days later....still no email. BAD PRO CLIP, BAD!

Also, ive been playing around with the settings and i cant for the life of me find the setting to allow the guages to be resized to where it 6 can fit the entire screen comfortably (like xn7485) picture. Am I missing something? ive tried display settings, N7 settings, OBD2 settings (why not)....how can I resize the guages to fit all 6? Thanks guys!
Yes, I also have the full version of Torque. When you are adding a gauge to the screen, by holding on a blank part of the screen, you can choose the gauge type, tiny, small, medium, large, and what the gauge displays. I have a couple different pages set up for different situations and sizes. I'd definitely recommend just setting some time aside to create the gauge pages you need, and setting it all up for drop in use in your car.

Also note: I don't believe you can resize existing gauges, but try holding on a gauge on the page and see. if not, you will have to delete the gauges and re add them.
CxG (01-12-2017)
Old 12-19-2012, 02:21 PM   #63
soros151
SorosMotorsports

Drives: Whiteout Pearl
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Try spreading the gauge with two fingers. Like zooming.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2
soros151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:37 PM   #64
ProjectD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman View Post
Yes, I also have the full version of Torque. When you are adding a gauge to the screen, by holding on a blank part of the screen, you can choose the gauge type, tiny, small, medium, large, and what the gauge displays. I have a couple different pages set up for different situations and sizes. I'd definitely recommend just setting some time aside to create the gauge pages you need, and setting it all up for drop in use in your car.

Also note: I don't believe you can resize existing gauges, but try holding on a gauge on the page and see. if not, you will have to delete the gauges and re add them.

Thanks for the quick reply Batman! Will give this a try on my lunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soros151 View Post

Thanks. Will try that as well
The Following User Says Thank You to ProjectD For This Useful Post:
Batman (12-19-2012)
Old 12-19-2012, 05:25 PM   #65
slizoth

Drives: 2013 WRB Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
I recently got my OBD2 ELM device and I had tested Torque lite with it, all I could do was establish that yes this device will work with this software, bought the full version of torque. Right now what I'd like to do is have Torque record all trip info all the time and send me a report on a weekly or monthly basis showing how things are running, is this possible? Can you leave logging on all the time? (will check in the settings when Im off work). What do you do with these logs as they accumulate? Where do they go? How are graphs/reports generated from them? How can I automate this process so I just get a digest of my cars activities every week/month? These are some of the questions Im trying to answer.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:44 PM   #66
xn7485

Drives: 1995 Acura Integra GS-R
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody602 View Post
Thanks for editing your post with an update of The pro clip mount, one more question, does the passenger have easy access to the H.U. as well? Without it being a pain in the ass anyways? (My girlfriend likes to choose the songs ;p) also got my Nexus 7 today and I'm quite impressed/happy :-) its my first android device ;D

Woah, sorry dude, I never got a quoted notification on this post..
Just ran out and tested - The mount will allow passenger to skip to the next track easily enough, however if you do a search for something in particular like a song on USB or XM station, it's a PITA for passenger to scroll through the list. The mount basically covers the right quarter of the screen.

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply Batman! Will give this a try on my lunch.
Thanks. Will try that as well
Seems to me that the only way to resize is to pick the size before you create it like Batman said, at least I haven't found an alternative way.

Also have the full version, kinda got the entire setup just for this app.

By the way, if anyone is interested, I got one 20% off coupon for a pro-clip solution from taking their survey after purchase.
xn7485 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xn7485 For This Useful Post:
Brody602 (12-19-2012)
Old 12-19-2012, 07:05 PM   #67
ProjectD

Garage
Quote:
Just ran out and tested - The mount will allow passenger to skip to the next track easily enough, however if you do a search for something in particular like a song on USB or XM station, it's a PITA for passenger to scroll through the list. The mount basically covers the right quarter of the screen.

Seems to me that the only way to resize is to pick the size before you create it like Batman said, at least I haven't found an alternative way.

Also have the full version, kinda got the entire setup just for this app.

By the way, if anyone is interested, I got one 20% off coupon for a pro-clip solution from taking their survey after purchase.

Excellent! It did work as you and Batman instructed....ill just play around with the settings as to which gauges I prefer. Thanks you both.

P.s. damn I wish you had told me about the % 20 before i got mine lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by soros151 View Post

Sorry Mr Takumi....I tried it and it didn't work. Thanks tho. Hows Akina treating ya?
Old 12-19-2012, 11:18 PM   #68
Brody602
Drift King

Quote:
Just ran out and tested - The mount will allow passenger to skip to the next track easily enough, however if you do a search for something in particular like a song on USB or XM station, it's a PITA for passenger to scroll through the list. The mount basically covers the right quarter of the screen
Thanks, that's quite alright I won't have my FR-S for a while anyways been messing around with torque in my brothers evo x though, and in my tiburon! Aha
Old 12-20-2012, 04:06 AM   #69
nzer

Drives: 2012 Grey TRD GT86, 2015 VW Golf R
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
I am running the HKS OB-Link and the oil temp is real time and works very well on the gauges with carscope on my Samsung tab 2 7" tablet.

Must mean surely there's a PID for oil temp for the ELM and Torque app as you wouldn't think the OB-Link would be picking up anything but readings that are generally available.

I have an ELM on the way but would be great if someone can work out the oil temp PID otherwise I'll have to stick with the carscope android app. The downside with the OB-link and carscope compared to the ELM and Torque app is that the OB-Link is about US$300 here and the ELM is around US$15 - a very big price differential!
Old 12-20-2012, 04:13 AM   #70
arghx7

Drives: car
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs Just realized that WikiPedia has a decent list of the legislated PIDs. It's not fully up-to-date, but it has most of the stuff you'd want for this application.
arghx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to arghx7 For This Useful Post:
Hawaiian (12-20-2012)

Tags
android, app, boost, gauges, torque