follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > FR-S & 86 Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum

FR-S & 86 Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum All photos, videos and other media related to the Scion FR-S and Toyota 86

User Tag List

Old 01-21-2017, 02:06 PM   #15
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Nope, I'm a cheap bastard.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daiheadjai For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-21-2017)
Old 01-21-2017, 02:31 PM   #16
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
lol, I forgot how much people hate @Dezoris.

And that he left before @Tcoat started spending a few hours a day posting here.

I like his opinions, his priorities are just different than the people who this car was built for. And when a car is as good as this, the only thing to talk about are the little things and the obvious deficiencies.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
00NissanNinja (01-21-2017), bedabi (01-24-2017), Traffic (01-21-2017)
Old 01-21-2017, 02:34 PM   #17
86geek

Drives: 2015 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
It was entertaining to watch while I ate breakfast. I don't agree with most of his thoughts.

Opti-Coat & Cquartz Finest, Apexi Drop in Filter, 2.5 Perrin Res. Catback Exhaust
86geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 02:35 PM   #18
amcluesent

Drives: GT-86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Yep, I'll be sticking with TJ Hunt and Calvin as the authorities on 86
amcluesent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to amcluesent For This Useful Post:
daiheadjai (01-21-2017)
Old 01-21-2017, 02:36 PM   #19
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post

I like his opinions, his priorities are just different than the people who this car was built for. And when a car is as good as this, the only thing to talk about are the little things and the obvious deficiencies.
Meh I can debate options and even live with he ones I don't agree with. It isn't what he says so much as how he says it.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:36 PM   #20
PetrolioBenzina

Drives: 17 86
Thanked 1,133 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
He and Jalopnik are made for each other.
PetrolioBenzina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 06:40 PM   #21
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolioBenzina View Post
He and Jalopnik are made for each other.
Nah, Jalopnik is written by people who can't afford to own cars.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
daiheadjai (01-21-2017), mrg666 (01-22-2017), soulreapersteve (01-22-2017), Tcoat (01-21-2017), why? (01-22-2017)
Old 01-21-2017, 06:59 PM   #22
MarkR171

Drives: '05 Elise
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
I was approached by someone who wanted to use my 4C for an article for Jalop. Someone whose portfolio of articles chronicles his own car, the second car he's ever owned. A "writer" who doesn't understand that plural's don't need apostrophe's before the 's.

ex '15 Scion FR-S
MarkR171 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkR171 For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (01-21-2017)
Old 01-21-2017, 09:05 PM   #23
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daiheadjai View Post
I have to say though, when I had to change out my exhaust, I was very surprised with how much surface rust was on it. It could be that the piping for the axle back portion is untreated. Of course, the Ontario winter salt probably didn't help. My mechanic was just as surprised when I brought it to him to mount my winter tires the first winter.
Any part of the underbody which was painted, was completely fine though.
That being said, maybe it's just how all cars are now.

Almost all stainless exhausts have surface rust on the outside, these OEM stainless have more iron content than custom exhausts. Surface rust is inevitable especially in damp climates. But it shouldn't rust through

After watching the video It's a fair review from a perspective of someone who test drives cars. I happen to not agree with a lot of his sentiments such as the rust issue which would happen with pretty much every car on the market unless the bolts are capped or covered from the elements. Also I believe in research and I get things wrong even with research but it seems he only knows the history of this car he was able to find on Wikipedia. For example the engine. Toyota has the ability to design an engine for this car but they don't have a boxer type engine, so they went or joined forces with Subaru to complete Tada's vision. The mechanic is another know it all mechanic that has owned only American Muscle cars. His answer for this car is put in an inline four and sacrifice handling. UGGHH total OPPOSITE of this cars goal.I think he has been breathing in too much brake cleaner. I can't imagine a higher mounted block of metal that would oversteer at every corner. As far as the auto, I must say he's dead on. I drove the auto for a good 45 min, not a lot of time but enough to understand how good it is. I prefer the MT as many on here do. Also after owning the car I was dead against the tires but they are superb and purposely adapted for the car by design though I will be getting just slightly stickier tires since I'm faster than the tires. I say keep the stock tires and enjoy them but replace with slightly stickier when they are worn. He was also correct about what you get for this price point. You do get enough to feed your appetite with this car stock. Fast is nice but everyday fun is more satisfying. I have to watch again though. One thing I don't get is when he turns off the nanies on salt covered roads and complains it tail happy. Ugghh. I may just do my own review.

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete

Last edited by stevesnj; 01-21-2017 at 10:00 PM.
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stevesnj For This Useful Post:
daiheadjai (01-21-2017), why? (01-22-2017)
Old 01-21-2017, 09:52 PM   #24
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Brutal but accurate assessment..

daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daiheadjai For This Useful Post:
stevesnj (01-21-2017), Tcoat (01-21-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 12:31 AM   #25
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
No. Like all reviews he tells it as he sees it. That does not make it "as it is" unless you happen to agree with his point of view. I agree with some of what he says but I prejudged him just by the smug way he talks and looks and now can't get past that. The brain is funny that way.

The Kia Soul "will mop the floor with it"?

2017 Kia Soul Turbo: 0-60 mph 7.5 | Quarter mile 15.7
2017 86: 0-60 mph 6.2 | Quarter mile 14.8

The dude is the poster child for the "needs more power or is useless" camp.

Here you go, I even gave the 86 a massive advantage here with brake tq start. Kia Soul Standing start. Kia is still about 5MPH faster.

Both doing standing start Kia is 10MPH faster which is how normal people on the street launch. Anything else troll?
I was in the cars back to back, why would I lie about it just to fulfill some agenda to make the 86 look slow, right. Anything else message me or email me.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvkK8CQnzcM&"]86 vs Kia Soul[/ame]

Oh how I love the forum ragers, I spent well over two years contributing here sharing data no one would share including many of the half ass tuners. Putting to bed plenty of non sense with DI phobia, oil pressure knowledge and so much more. But there is always a few people like you who come out of the woodwork, those who passionately hate someone and loathe them so much that instead of ignoring you watch and post about it. Your time and energy wasted on this is more than troubling. Its a confirmation that trolling is alive and well. Where are your videos, contributions good or bad?

There are certain people who tie their self worth to their material possesions, car people are in fact some of the craziest types. Clearly you have been triggered beyond belief and instead of being a typical internet **** swinger if you want to talk about it you can contact me anytime offline, my contact info is on the website or you can IM me.

Lastly here is the hub/wheel bearing at 15k miles that would not come out, totally laughable. In fairness our area uses various degrees of salt solution but still, come on.
Attached Images

Last edited by Dezoris; 01-22-2017 at 02:09 AM.
Dezoris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dezoris For This Useful Post:
alphasaur (07-03-2020), bcj (01-22-2017), dowroa (01-02-2018)
Old 01-22-2017, 12:34 AM   #26
Dezoris

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR171 View Post
I was approached by someone who wanted to use my 4C for an article for Jalop. Someone whose portfolio of articles chronicles his own car, the second car he's ever owned. A "writer" who doesn't understand that plural's don't need apostrophe's before the 's.
After driving the 4C I would not lend it to more than a select few media types, most are there to do one thing get their rocks off on other peoples cars because they dont have their own.

Quote:

I think its hilarious that many of the owners of enthusiast cars cant find the beauty in the faults of them. Its part of the love of car ownership to embrace the good and bad. Some of my favorite cars have been flawed including the 86. And the best part is I can say the 86 is one of the best choices for those who want a drivers car, but so many people only hear one thing, an attack on their own self worth and not the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
Almost all stainless exhausts have surface rust on the outside, these OEM stainless have more iron content than custom exhausts. Surface rust is inevitable especially in damp climates. But it shouldn't rust through

After watching the video It's a fair review from a perspective of someone who test drives cars. I happen to not agree with a lot of his sentiments such as the rust issue which would happen with pretty much every car on the market unless the bolts are capped or covered from the elements. Also I believe in research and I get things wrong even with research but it seems he only knows the history of this car he was able to find on Wikipedia. For example the engine. Toyota has the ability to design an engine for this car but they don't have a boxer type engine, so they went or joined forces with Subaru to complete Tada's vision. The mechanic is another know it all mechanic that has owned only American Muscle cars. His answer for this car is put in an inline four and sacrifice handling. UGGHH total OPPOSITE of this cars goal.I think he has been breathing in too much brake cleaner. I can't imagine a higher mounted block of metal that would oversteer at every corner. As far as the auto, I must say he's dead on. I drove the auto for a good 45 min, not a lot of time but enough to understand how good it is. I prefer the MT as many on here do. Also after owning the car I was dead against the tires but they are superb and purposely adapted for the car by design though I will be getting just slightly stickier tires since I'm faster than the tires. I say keep the stock tires and enjoy them but replace with slightly stickier when they are worn. He was also correct about what you get for this price point. You do get enough to feed your appetite with this car stock. Fast is nice but everyday fun is more satisfying. I have to watch again though. One thing I don't get is when he turns off the nanies on salt covered roads and complains it tail happy. Ugghh. I may just do my own review.

Excellent post. The motor comment is because it is true the ND Miata and S2000 did not need a low CG boxer motor to be dynamic and balanced. The second point is Toyota no longer has a high performance naturally aspirated 4 popper in their arsenal, and they are years behind in development, which is why you see them joining forces with Mazda with their engine development. Its not that they can't but they stopped and are behind. Other areas with the video like driving with no stabilty control, its a pre requssite to see how a vehicle behaves without interference. That said even with it off it still kicks on without pedal dance stupidity. Its a tail happy car, no arguing it. Sometimes you just want stick right?

Last edited by Dezoris; 01-22-2017 at 02:08 AM.
Dezoris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dezoris For This Useful Post:
alphasaur (07-03-2020), bcj (01-22-2017), bedabi (01-24-2017), stevesnj (01-22-2017), Traffic (01-22-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 01:59 AM   #27
ToySub1946

Drives: 15FRS, 05MustangGT, 85Toyota truck
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Maybe it's time to take things not so seriously...

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/eN0BEQ/
ToySub1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 02:07 AM   #28
Dezoris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToySub1946 View Post
Maybe it's time to take things not so seriously...

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/eN0BEQ/
That is dead serious!