follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 08-04-2017, 12:02 PM   #1
Silverfox

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ, Edelbrock SC, E-85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Need Help with Suspension Issue

about 2 years ago I purchased and had professionally installed the Whiteline Bushing and camber bolt kit (rear). I've had no issues until a month ago the camber bolt apparently came loose and fell off and one of the bushings evaporated from the Rear Upper Control Arm on the driver side. Luckily I was able to keep the car under control and came to a stop.

No visible damage was done to the wheel or suspension thankfully. So here is my dilemma. I have a standard bolt and bushing in there now that does not allow for me to camber the rear wheels correctly for alignment. I'm sitting on RCE yellow springs, stock struts, and running a 17x8.5 +45 wheel with a spacer. Should I just buy another camber bolt and bushing kit ? Get the camber kit and some LCA's ? or at this point just bite the bullet and go with entry coilovers ?

keep in mind the install of the bushings and camber bolts is upwards of $300 in labor.

I also love the feel of the RCE yellows with the stock struts. For me the combination has been great. I'm just trying to think of the most effective and cost effective fix. My level of driving does not warrant great coilovers yet.

Thanks for any advice!
Silverfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:16 PM   #2
Vital

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox View Post
about 2 years ago I purchased and had professionally installed the Whiteline Bushing and camber bolt kit (rear). I've had no issues until a month ago the camber bolt apparently came loose and fell off and one of the bushings evaporated from the Rear Upper Control Arm on the driver side. Luckily I was able to keep the car under control and came to a stop.

No visible damage was done to the wheel or suspension thankfully. So here is my dilemma. I have a standard bolt and bushing in there now that does not allow for me to camber the rear wheels correctly for alignment. I'm sitting on RCE yellow springs, stock struts, and running a 17x8.5 +45 wheel with a spacer. Should I just buy another camber bolt and bushing kit ? Get the camber kit and some LCA's ? or at this point just bite the bullet and go with entry coilovers ?

keep in mind the install of the bushings and camber bolts is upwards of $300 in labor.

I also love the feel of the RCE yellows with the stock struts. For me the combination has been great. I'm just trying to think of the most effective and cost effective fix. My level of driving does not warrant great coilovers yet.

Thanks for any advice!
Honestly, most cost effective thing would be to just get rear LCA. You can get the SPC ones which are about $200 and simple to install. The bushing kit as you already know is a pain to install and deal with it.
Vital is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vital For This Useful Post:
Silverfox (08-04-2017)
Old 08-04-2017, 12:23 PM   #3
Silverfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vital View Post
Honestly, most cost effective thing would be to just get rear LCA. You can get the SPC ones which are about $200 and simple to install. The bushing kit as you already know is a pain to install and deal with it.
I've definitely considered that. This is one area of motorsport that I really don't have a grasp on yet (and yes a very important one). So with the issue I have being the bushing and bolt on the rear upper control arm, if I buy LCA's do I still need to replace the RUCA with factory bolts or will all camber/toe/caster adjustments be accomplished via the LCA's ?
Old 08-04-2017, 12:26 PM   #4
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
At this point you already have one side installed, and unless you are going to pay someone to remove it, I would just do the install again on the other side(if you think it wont fall off again). Use loctite.

Coilovers do not have rear camber adjustment.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swarb For This Useful Post:
Silverfox (08-04-2017), strat61caster (08-04-2017)
Old 08-04-2017, 12:38 PM   #5
Vital

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox View Post
I've definitely considered that. This is one area of motorsport that I really don't have a grasp on yet (and yes a very important one). So with the issue I have being the bushing and bolt on the rear upper control arm, if I buy LCA's do I still need to replace the RUCA with factory bolts or will all camber/toe/caster adjustments be accomplished via the LCA's ?
yeah Swarb has a good point as well. Unfortunately you will need to replace the other side with the factory bolts. The LCA will let you adjust camber, i dont think you need to mess with caster and toe an alignment shop should be able to bring it back to factory specs.
Vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:44 PM   #6
Silverfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vital View Post
yeah Swarb has a good point as well. Unfortunately you will need to replace the other side with the factory bolts. The LCA will let you adjust camber, i dont think you need to mess with caster and toe an alignment shop should be able to bring it back to factory specs.

Thanks for the advice. After reading a few other posts and seeing what you two said I think I'll just buy the whiteline camber kit again and re-install on the drivers side. I don't want any additional camber outside of what that kit provides anyways (90% my DD) so LCA's are a bit more than required.
The Following User Says Thank You to Silverfox For This Useful Post:
Vital (08-04-2017)