follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Old 08-17-2012, 09:21 PM   #4817
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
I think Miller cycle helps a little with that since fuel gets blown back and forth across the valve, but hmmm... if E85 is used at all I think it's best if there's the capability to squirt only E85 and make good use of the heat of vaporization.

One possible solution? would be independent throttle bodies (pull it off a Hayabusa or something lol) with injectors spraying right after. Don't know how well this would work though. With a supercharger, because the supercharger's chambers are moving quite a bit faster than anything else, it might work if the fuel was sprayed into the supercharger inlet. Hey, 200W of pumping loss, might as well use it right? lol
That's what I'm saying with the dual injector setup. With 8 sequential injector control on a standalone you can pick and choose the parameters for when which injector fires, just like the D4-S. With two tanks/pumps you could go with any % of normal gas or E85 you want. WOT/high load 100% E85 if you want. Or over a certain MAP, whatever you want.

My limited understanding of positive displacement SCs is that water/meth is best when injected into the SC's intake side. Sucks up heat better and helps sealing.

Because titanium.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:57 PM   #4818
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
That's what I'm saying with the dual injector setup. With 8 sequential injector control on a standalone you can pick and choose the parameters for when which injector fires, just like the D4-S. With two tanks/pumps you could go with any % of normal gas or E85 you want. WOT/high load 100% E85 if you want. Or over a certain MAP, whatever you want.

My limited understanding of positive displacement SCs is that water/meth is best when injected into the SC's intake side. Sucks up heat better and helps sealing.
I don't ever want to deal with 2 tanks though. Basically my idea is instead of having methanol injection into the SC, inject all of the fuel instead. SC can be run a few percent quicker to deal with the extra volume, I imagine this isn't difficult to accomplish. At part load this is great because the SC is going to cycle the fuel through the bypass much faster than the engine can consume it.

The complication that introduces is that since we're injecting fuel so far upstream, transient conditions could be a problem. By the way, do those Megasquirts have e-throttle control?
Old 08-17-2012, 10:46 PM   #4819
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
Quote:
I don't ever want to deal with 2 tanks though. Basically my idea is instead of having methanol injection into the SC, inject all of the fuel instead. SC can be run a few percent quicker to deal with the extra volume, I imagine this isn't difficult to accomplish. At part load this is great because the SC is going to cycle the fuel through the bypass much faster than the engine can consume it.

The complication that introduces is that since we're injecting fuel so far upstream, transient conditions could be a problem. By the way, do those Megasquirts have e-throttle control?
Hmm, I didn't see it specifically mentioned. http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html there's the documentation for it.

Vipec V88 has cam phasing and ethrottle, but it's a bit expensive. Recommendation of a local tuner I know.

Because titanium.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:55 PM   #4820
serialk11r

Garage
Quote:
Hmm, I didn't see it specifically mentioned. http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html there's the documentation for it.

Vipec V88 has cam phasing and ethrottle, but it's a bit expensive. Recommendation of a local tuner I know.
Megasquirt 3 has cam phasing says that website you linked me. Not that I care though :P

What will probably happen is I stick the 1NZ in, and I get too lazy to do anything with it lol. For max fuel economy emissions be damned, you need an ethrottle to be able to have smooth transition from "extra lean" to stoichiometric and rich, avoiding the 1.1 equivalence neighborhood which gives you high temperatures that might screw something up. DIY cooled egr is harder to do since you need a heat exchanger and valve, but you can use cable throttle.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:06 PM   #4821
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
Quote:
Megasquirt 3 has cam phasing says that website you linked me. Not that I care though :P

What will probably happen is I stick the 1NZ in, and I get too lazy to do anything with it lol. For max fuel economy emissions be damned, you need an ethrottle to be able to have smooth transition from "extra lean" to stoichiometric and rich, avoiding the 1.1 equivalence neighborhood which gives you high temperatures that might screw something up. DIY cooled egr is harder to do since you need a heat exchanger and valve, but you can use cable throttle.
You look into ceramic coating exhaust ports, pistons and combustion chambers? If you want leaner for economy it may be useful.

http://swaintech.com/

Because titanium.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:07 PM   #4822
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
Fuck it's hot here. And that's only Canadian hot.

Don't know how the Americans deal with their heat...

Because titanium.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dimman For This Useful Post:
Guff (08-18-2012)
Old 08-17-2012, 11:13 PM   #4823
serialk11r

Garage
Quote:
You look into ceramic coating exhaust ports, pistons and combustion chambers? If you want leaner for economy it may be useful.

http://swaintech.com/
How expensive is that? Coating pistons and combustion chamber might be worth it.
Exhaust pipes at least can be insulated with...more traditional means (ceramic wool ftw)

There's very little to gain from chasing higher burn temps at 1.1 equivalence. At low engine speed the charge burns close enough to "instantly". At high engine speed, we're more concerned with power anyways. Part load operation comes down to friction for the most part, and pumping, and the best strategy is to just avoid very low load situations with gearing. The Miller cycle helps too, because it essentially reduces the engine displacement (but in a finicky way).

Easiest would be if Toyota just made a newer 1.5L engine with cooled EGR in place already, 6 speed gearbox and brought it over. However the 1NZ has a short stroke compared to the ultra-economy engines of late, so it might be worth the effort. Dunno. I think the head should be good for 150bhp NA.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:33 AM   #4824
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
Last day of Ramadhan! Man, it passed by quick! And in 2 days I'll be living in Illinois too...

Things happen so quickly...
Old 08-18-2012, 09:32 AM   #4825
S2kphile
Resident HoneyBadger

Drives: Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Happy Be-Lated Birthday @M-17 :happy0180:

Is it me or am I just finding too many FRS/BRZ straight line race videos on youtube kinda retarded; more so, young bucks trying to drift their FRS? Oh well, more salvageable parts for us. FRS front bumper with TRD Kit on a BRZ

Walk like a King, Be like a Sir, Swag it out like a Boss

Last edited by S2kphile; 08-18-2012 at 10:06 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to S2kphile For This Useful Post:
Giccin (08-18-2012)
Old 08-18-2012, 10:21 AM   #4826
blur
ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Drives: E36 5.7 V8
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Another random question from yours truly; say you're doing a RWD engine swap, and you machine a custom bellhousing adapter to bolt together (for example) a ... R154 and rb26. What clutch and flywheel do you use, a modified R154 clutch and a modified rb26 flywheel?
Old 08-18-2012, 02:33 PM   #4827
NickD

Drives: '05 Corvette
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
When it's sunny outside: no calls, nothing to do

When it's pouring raining: "NICK I NEED YOU TO CARRY A TV, NICK NICK NICK
Old 08-18-2012, 05:30 PM   #4828
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,051 Times in 8,326 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Which cleats to wear today's soccer... I have 5 to choose from lol
Old 08-18-2012, 05:45 PM   #4829
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blur View Post
Another random question from yours truly; say you're doing a RWD engine swap, and you machine a custom bellhousing adapter to bolt together (for example) a ... R154 and rb26. What clutch and flywheel do you use, a modified R154 clutch and a modified rb26 flywheel?
I believe so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:47 PM   #4830
S2kphile
Resident HoneyBadger

Drives: Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The weather is weather.

Walk like a King, Be like a Sir, Swag it out like a Boss
Closed Thread

Tags
221whp, :popcorn:, autobahnned, bringbackthebutts, brucelee, chucknorris, cutiepiepoppoppocorn, docking and snoodling, don'tbesadintotheocean, epic funnies, everyoneignoresmyposts, fuck yeah, funny thread tag, go_a_way1 was here, go_a_waycopiedspecialk, hey youse guys!, hoonigans, i am supreme., i like chocolate milk, i like to poop a lot, i like turtles, ichitaco, insertjokehere, invadethistread39erstyle, kr-s have my babies, kr-s is a faaggot, kr-s is a loser, mythbeliever, myunclesaid..., only the strong survive, postheredontbotherashrink, rules_of_nature, sklimo liked it, skylineislyfe, special_k was here, tagageddon 2016, thetagofreason, titsorgtfo, troz, whathappenedtothetags?