follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 11-23-2018, 04:38 PM   #295
tehShirt

Drives: 2014 Subaru Forester
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Ordered the Reference 500Q system for Black Friday. I can't wait to install it!
tehShirt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tehShirt For This Useful Post:
oemaudioplus (11-24-2018), spike021 (11-24-2018)
Old 11-24-2018, 11:45 AM   #296
chanklins

Drives: Scion FR-S RS1.0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I just pulled the trigger and placed an order for the Reference 500 color matched to my Yuzu yellow

I'll update when I get it
chanklins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chanklins For This Useful Post:
oemaudioplus (11-24-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 02:06 PM   #297
MarvinC93

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Limited MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MugsBRZ View Post
I took the plunge and just ordered a Reference 500Q system. ... I'm sticking with my stock 2016 Starlink head unit for now as the only feature I'm mainly interested in is cordless Apple CarPlay. ... At some point in the future, I may upgrade to a 2018 BRZ head unit since it does have CarPlay, but I need to find out how well it can be integrated into my 2016 BRZ. Due to the larger screen, I know I'll need to change my dash trim/fascia, but I'm wondering about how the wiring will need to be changed, whether the integrated microphone, USB/Aux ports will still function, and any other issues. If anyone has info about that, please post it or point me to another thread if it's already been discussed.

I have the Reference 500Q in my 2016 BRZ with the Pioneer AVH-2440NEX head unit and they work perfectly. Highly recommended. Now for your case specifically, while the stock HU does get the job done I would say an aftermarket HU is a better experience overall, especially with CarPlay. In regards to your concerns with upgrade compatibility, I’ll address your points as follows:

-If you decide to go with an aftermarket HU like a Pioneer, I believe you might have to get a new plug-n-play wiring harness from OEM+ since it’s designed for specific head units but you’d have to confirm that with them. The 2440NEX that I have and personally recommend currently costs $450 on Crutchfield’s website which is where I bought mine. If you really want wireless CarPlay then that’ll be 100 bucks more for the AVH-W4400NEX which is $550. I wouldn’t personally don’t need wireless CarPlay since I usually charge my phone while I drive so if it’s going to be connected to the HU anyway then I might as well just stick with wired CarPlay.

-I did not have to change my dash trim/fascia. Crutchfield sells individualized “installation packages” when you select a HU and it pretty much comes with everything you need. Specifically, the Scosche SU2032B dash kit which is a perfect fit for the 2016 BRZ.

-The installation package also includes the iDatalink Maestro RR, the Metra 40-LX11 antenna adapter, and the SU2 wiring harness which replaces the previously used TO1 harness.

-The stock microphone won’t work with the HU but each HU comes with a microphone line that runs from the HU, through the A-pillar, and clips onto the headliner above the rearview mirror. I’ve found that this mic works much better than stock since phone calls are so much clearer to the other person.

-As far as the USB/Aux ports are concerned, the Crutchfield kit includes an adapter (Metra AX-TOYUSB) but the problem with this is that you lose the Aux port since it only retains the USB port. Also, I found that it only charges at 0.5-1.0 amps which sucks tbh. I opted for a better option which I had to buy separately from Amazon for $12 and that is the Metra AX-USB-35EXT (Can also be under Axxess instead of Metra). This fits in perfectly into the rectangular USB/Aux slot after you remove the stock piece. It retains both USB and Aux. It also charges at 1.5-2.1 amps which is plenty since the HU unit specs say it will charge at 1.5A. I personally don’t use the Aux port and have yet to meet anyone who does in the current age of bluetooth and USB but it’s there if you do need it. I mainly opted for this because of the better charging capability.

I know this is kinda lengthy but this is stuff I spent a good amount of time researching before I pulled the trigger like you so I hope it serves as helpful info so you can make a well informed decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MarvinC93 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarvinC93 For This Useful Post:
MugsBRZ (01-01-2019), Nails (12-08-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 05:49 PM   #298
thriller

Drives: 2016 BRZ Limited Pure Red
FWIW, I installed the Reference 500 series into my 2016 BRZ, which has an Alpine iLX-107 head unit with wireless CarPlay. OEM audio plus did a great job tuning the system to that head unit for me. MarvinC93 described the 2016 BRZ head unit replacement process pretty well. You can check out my 2016 BRZ head unit install DIY thread for some more info. I ended up installing a newer dash trim because I like the clean black leather / red stitching look and always hated the trapezoid-shaped cutout on the 2016.
thriller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thriller For This Useful Post:
MugsBRZ (02-05-2019)
Old 12-14-2018, 04:19 AM   #299
snk828

Drives: raven FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by oemaudioplus View Post
Yes! Thanks for confirming. The Reference 500 is completely compatible with the Kenwood series of units, both in terms of connectivity (with the appropriate receiver adapter for your new head unit) and sound (we tune with the output characteristics of the model you choose in mind - Specified on our System configuration page).
I have the reference 450q system for my FRS, can you confirm you guys have correct EQ tuning for kenwood DDX9703?I could send it back to get re-tune, my AMP is set for display audio output.
Old 01-26-2019, 03:47 PM   #300
MugsBRZ
Trying to join the club

Drives: 2016 BRZ Series.HyperBlue
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Reference 500Q install and system impressions

I finally finished installing the Reference 500Q system in my 2016 BRZ. I decided to stick with the stock HU. Since the only feature I cared about upgrading was to get wireless CarPlay and my BRZ is only an occasional Sunday Driver, I couldn't justify spending the $ on a new HU.

Install Notes
Overall, the installation was straightforward even for somewhat of an amateur like me. Based on other posts, I was wary of getting the subwoofer mounted without difficulty, but it was fairly easy to position it and I didn't have to do drill out any holes. I did find it was easier to screw in the quick release knob first and then the hex bolt. For access to the spare or to shave weight for AutoX, etc., a quick release bolt instead of the hex bolt could be nice, but Daniel from O+ explained the reasons for the hex bolt are to prevent things from getting caught on a large quick release knob as you go about your daily business placing and removing items from the trunk - that makes sense to me and keeping an allen wrench in the glovebox for the purpose of removing that hex bolt if/when there is a need is not a big deal, much like keeping a wheel lock key.

I had two real issues with my installation:
1) one of the six pin connectors on the O+ wiring harness was cracked upon arrival.

https://i.imgur.com/nnIK6H2.jpg
The system was packed very well in an extremely strong cardboard box with the speakers all packed inside in their own individual, custom-sized boxes, but the subwoofer may have just shifted a bit and cracked that connector. I don't know for sure how it cracked, that's just one idea, but I'm 99% sure it arrived that way. Usually, when I begin a project, I take stock of all the parts and make sure I'm not missing any and that none are damaged. But other times, I'm so excited to have time to work on a project that I just get started. That said, I very much appreciate when an item comes with instructions and a parts list with diagrams or photos of each and every part. I was at least 1/3 way through this project when I discovered the cracked connector; I contacted the tech support number on a holiday and Daniel called me back within 30 minutes. He overnighted a new connector for me, which was excellent service!

2) My stock HU didn't have the typical trigger wire necessary to turn on the O+ amp. I called the tech support number on a Tuesday night at about 8:30 pm. I didn't expect anyone to answer or be available at that hour, but after leaving a voicemail, Daniel called me back within 5-10 minutes - color me impressed! He asked me to use a multi meter to test some voltages on individual wires in the 10-pin connector that plugs into the back of the HU and quickly confirmed that my stock HU was wired like a European BRZ and that once in a while, they run into this issue with a US-based BRZ. I bought my car new here in CA; I don't know why the HU is wired a bit differently with respect to the trigger wire for European or international cars, so to speak, but mine was. Daniel and I discussed me soldering the two wires together, but I decided that was above my skill level and too tight a space behind the HU to attempt it. Daniel texted me a photo of a Scotch Lock AKA wire tap AKA quick splice AKA vampire clip along with instructions and photos for how to install it. I had to remove a wire from the 10-pin connector that plugs into the back of the HU and then splice it to a different wire.

When I went to the auto parts store, the owner told me he doesn't like the wire taps and prefers to use a butt connector; I decided to stick with what Daniel told me to get. I'm comfortable doing some minor wiring, including using butt connectors, but I don't have shrink wrap or a heat gun. You also don't have a lot of space to work in the cavity behind the HU. My brother has a lot of knowledge and experience in automotive wiring as he owns a business that installs public safety equipment in police/fire vehicles and he began as an installer decades ago. He told me he has seen so many wire taps fail that he doesn't allow his installers to use them; at this point, I had already installed the wire tap and the system powered right up, so I just taped it securely and will hope there are no issues in the future. I did drop a wire tap while I was working in the cavity, but I was able to retrieve it later by removing one of the trim panels on the side of the center console where it meets the carpeting.

Those were the only hiccups I had and it only cost me $5 (wire taps were sold as a box of ten at my local auto parts store) and a day. I had so many delays in doing this project due to my work/home life schedule that one day was no biggie. And I live in a beautiful, but remote area, so there is only one hardware store and one auto parts store in the nearest town that is a 20 minute drive each way and with small town business hours.

First Impressions
I am so pleased with the sound! Crisp, clear, and clean, as expected and promised. I drove 7 hours yesterday to Southern CA and thoroughly enjoyed the system listening to music from the 40s all the way to this decade as well as podcasts and a portion of an audiobook and using bluetooth for phone calls. I found I typically rock out with the volume at 26-30; I think the volume goes up to 40, but unlike inferior systems, I haven't experienced any distortion even at 85-90% max volume.

Thank you to O+ for producing this system and also for the excellent customer service!
MugsBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MugsBRZ For This Useful Post:
oemaudioplus (01-30-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 12:26 AM   #301
Adam_L

Drives: '16 FR-S RS2 MT, '06 xA Polar MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Curious to know, for those of you who bought during Black Friday , how much did you end up spending on the 500Q system ?
Old 02-21-2019, 08:39 PM   #302
HaXx

Drives: jrsc_brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Im considering getting the reference 500Q sometime in the coming summer. it seems there have been lots of different models and updates in the past. is there a new model coming soon i should wait for? or is the R500Q the one to get
HaXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 08:51 PM   #303
oemaudioplus

Drives: http://bit.ly/Vantage86
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaXx View Post
is the R500Q the one to get

Thanks for asking! The 500Q is our latest Sound Solution. We have introduced our NEW Reference Series solution with next generation Amplifier and Digital Signal Processing. This platform also supports our New Dedicated Sub Amplifier System. So Listeners wanting more low frequency reproduction and precision adjustability, now have this available.

Above all, You can expect our same seamless installation and signature sound the moment you plug your O+ solution in (Only with our latest and greatest performance).
oemaudioplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:43 AM   #304
Alastor

Drives: Toyota gt86 my19
Hi support oem

Please say me if your system is good for this Pioneer AVH-Z9100DABAN, im interested with reference system.

Thanks
Alastor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alastor For This Useful Post:
oemaudioplus (02-25-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 11:51 AM   #305
oemaudioplus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
Pioneer AVH-Z9100DABAN, im interested with reference system.

Thank you for confirming! We have had extensive time with the Pioneer AVH Series of units. Yes! System is fully compatible and optimized for your head units output characteristics. You’ll experience our signature sound The moment you plug your O+ System in.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:16 PM   #306
Alastor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oemaudioplus View Post
Thank you for confirming! We have had extensive time with the Pioneer AVH Series of units. Yes! System is fully compatible and optimized for your head units output characteristics. You’ll experience our signature sound The moment you plug your O+ System in.
Is more expensive send to Spain?
Old 02-25-2019, 12:26 PM   #307
oemaudioplus

OEM Audio Plus Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
Is more expensive send to Spain?

We ship from Anaheim, California. Therefore the only potential extra cost would be international shipping. We’d be happy to get you an estimate directly through our website (shipping calculated on System configuration page - bit.ly/FRZ_Configure) or you can send us a message and we’ll get you an estimate.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:46 AM   #308
Alastor

I send you any e-mails and for the moment the experience is good. I need more information and i send you. I hope you can help me.

Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to Alastor For This Useful Post:
oemaudioplus (02-26-2019)

Tags
amp, audio, music, radio, subwoofer