follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-25-2012, 12:09 AM   #463
Grip Ronin
The Mechanic

Drives: Civic Turbo,FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
turbo maintenance sucks.i made 2 na cars into turbo, fun................. when they work right, always with the exhaust and boost leaks
Old 04-25-2012, 02:04 AM   #464
samsam5886

Drives: Honda S2000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm a huge fan of NA.
samsam5886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:24 PM   #465
Homemade WRX
Pro Subie Engine Nerd

Drives: BRZ has a reserved space
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grip Ronin View Post
always with the exhaust and boost leaks
you might want to blame the designer/engineer for those issues. It has ZERO to do with aspiration.
Homemade WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:50 PM   #466
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I'm excited this car is NA. Fits more with the KISS (lightweight RWD) theme of the car. But... I will admit to being mildly curious what kind of numbers a SC setup will put down.
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:33 PM   #467
track_warrior
Track Junkie

Drives: Faster than the Stig!
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
I am extremely happy ive had my share of turbo cars and i hate the turbo lag surprise at corner exits!! I prefer a gradual pull from a naturally aspirated engine. Though if i was buying this thing for straight line racing i would be pretty pissed it did not come with a turbo because you are prob not going to squeeze a ton of HP from this engine unless you chip in around 5-10k for building the engine and getting a turbo kit.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:37 PM   #468
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcasso87 View Post
I am extremely happy ive had my share of turbo cars and i hate the turbo lag surprise at corner exits!! I prefer a gradual pull from a naturally aspirated engine. Though if i was buying this thing for straight line racing i would be pretty pissed it did not come with a turbo because you are prob not going to squeeze a ton of HP from this engine unless you chip in around 5-10k for building the engine and getting a turbo kit.
you could say thats more a gearing problem than an induction problem. a properly sized turbo is going to have 0 lag out of a corner since you shouldnt be shifting mid corner. also there are superchargers...they dont suffer from turbo lag
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:46 PM   #469
track_warrior
Track Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
you could say thats more a gearing problem than an induction problem. a properly sized turbo is going to have 0 lag out of a corner since you shouldnt be shifting mid corner. also there are superchargers...they dont suffer from turbo lag
Centrifugal superchargers do have lag. Ive got turbo lag until about 4k with the tomei turbo even though its a small turbo but the power delivery is very aggressive, great for drifting but i hate it while trying to do grip driving. Shifting during a corner is dumb but even while riding the corner at around 5k rpms when you start punching the gas the power delivery is very aggressive and not gradual so if you are not careful it can spin you around, a very small hp turbo car would be another story though.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:48 PM   #470
fatoni

Quote:
Centrifugal superchargers do have lag. Ive got turbo lag until about 4k with the tomei turbo even though its a small turbo but the power delivery is very aggressive, great for drifting but i hate it while trying to do grip driving. Shifting during a corner is dumb but even while riding the corner at around 5k rpms when you start punching the gas the power delivery is very aggressive and not gradual so if you are not careful it can spin you around, a very small hp turbo car would be another story though.
i cant quite tell if you are talking about turbo lag or throttle response or power curves here
Old 04-30-2012, 07:54 PM   #471
track_warrior
Track Junkie

Quote:
i cant quite tell if you are talking about turbo lag or throttle response or power curves here
Turbo lag and throttle response both. If you are coming into a corner where you need to down shift into 2nd and you are in 4th gear, you start riding the corner at around 4.5 rpms then when you press the accelerator at corner exit there is a slight delay while the turbo builds boost and when it does the delivery is aggressive where as in a N/A car the power delivery is gradual. This is what i am talking about.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:05 PM   #472
fatoni

Quote:
Turbo lag and throttle response both. If you are coming into a corner where you need to down shift into 2nd and you are in 4th gear, you start riding the corner at around 4.5 rpms then when you press the accelerator at corner exit there is a slight delay while the turbo builds boost and when it does the delivery is aggressive where as in a N/A car the power delivery is gradual. This is what i am talking about.
thats not turbo lag but an issue with having a huge intake volume. if thats the case just buy a coldside and run a 5th injector instead of an intercooler and call it a day
Old 04-30-2012, 09:32 PM   #473
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: quicker than arghx7
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Nevertheless, pcasso87's beef was with the system's behavior....a behavior the BRZ/FR-S won't have.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryephile For This Useful Post:
track_warrior (04-30-2012)
Old 04-30-2012, 09:58 PM   #474
fatoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
Nevertheless, pcasso87's beef was with the system's behavior....a behavior the BRZ/FR-S won't have.
yeah but that is what the conversation turned into. his initial complaint was "turbo lag surprise at corners." i just dont think that has to be the systems behaviors. im not saying i want fi but im not going to say i "hate" it. on a personal note i wish it would come na but play nice with fi. not sure how i feel about the compression ratio but on the other hand i will never turbo one if i get it
The Following User Says Thank You to fatoni For This Useful Post:
ngabdala (04-30-2012)
Old 04-30-2012, 11:13 PM   #475
ngabdala
Vortech Supercharged

Drives: WRB BRZ 6MT LTD
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I am very happy it's NA and I don't think this car needs to be fucked with. It's balance is a work of art. Don't mess with it
ngabdala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:22 AM   #476
track_warrior
Track Junkie

Quote:
yeah but that is what the conversation turned into. his initial complaint was "turbo lag surprise at corners." i just dont think that has to be the systems behaviors. im not saying i want fi but im not going to say i "hate" it. on a personal note i wish it would come na but play nice with fi. not sure how i feel about the compression ratio but on the other hand i will never turbo one if i get it
Do you have anything better to do than argue about everything on a forum? Seriously man nothing is sadder than seeing a person who thinks he knows everything on a damn internet forum and just arguing against anything he thinks is wrong....... Im seriously starting to think if i say i like coffee you will argue about why tea is better!!

Last edited by track_warrior; 05-01-2012 at 02:32 AM.
track_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote