follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 08-17-2020, 06:33 PM   #1
H_K

Drives: '13 Scion fr-s
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Baby on the way - any good convertible baby seat recommendations?

Well, looks like my mod list has just changed drastically. We've got a baby on the way, due in early March.

Looking for any and all information regarding baby seats. I've read that rear-facing seats are difficult in our cars especially if there's also a passenger (which would be quite often - myself, wife, and baby will probably be travelling together a lot).

Any good first-hand experience with baby seats that still accommodate the front passenger seat as well?

How about baby seats that combine with a stroller that can fit in our trunks? We tried out a stroller that simply doesn't fit in the trunk - it doesn't fold down enough.

Any pro parent tips for these cars?
H_K is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to H_K For This Useful Post:
humfrz (08-17-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 06:41 PM   #2
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Best I can do
https://www.google.com/search?q=mini...ChH_D2dWMhyhVM
Audio (08-17-2020), humfrz (08-17-2020), soundman98 (08-17-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 06:48 PM   #3
Audio

Drives: 16 FR-S Raven
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I Concur with This!
Audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 06:53 PM   #4
H_K

Ha ha

:|
Old 08-17-2020, 06:59 PM   #5
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
That's a pickle. Front facing seats and booster are decent enough in the Twins (I fit my 3 kids in my BRZ, but they are in the perfect age for that - don't need rear facing anymore but not too big yet), but I can't imagine rear facing seats would work with a passenger, especially not for a newly born.

Creative thinking:
  1. Front passenger seat "deleted", infant seat in the passenger rear, mom behind driver (hope you both are short!)
  2. If you have another car, wait until the baby is around 6 months old and get a convertible car seat - these typically need less "legroom" (vs. an infant seat, both due to design and thanks to a more upright recline thanks to baby's better neck control at 6 months) and might allow mom to sit in front of the car seat
  3. Similar to option 1, but infant car seat in the front passenger sit, mom behind driver or maybe behind baby (but would have to enter from the driver's side since you wouldn't be able to move the passenger seat to enter)
I'm partial to Britax for their ClickTight (a super easy and super solid way to anchor the car seat with the seat belt), but that's only on their convertible and front facing seats. Don't have a recommendation for an infant seat, but I like carseatblog.com for recommendations.

Oh, and I second the minivan. My BRZ shares the stable with an Odyssey. Best family transportation by a long margin.
Ohio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 07:22 PM   #6
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I'll let you know. Britax bsafe35 works in the car. Your passenger won't have any legroom but it technically works.

Mod list might want to include a more family suited vehicle.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...=125380&page=5

Lengthy discussion about car seats in this vehicle with some info. Used to have some pictures too.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
H_K (08-17-2020), Spuds (08-18-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 08:19 PM   #7
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by H_K View Post
I was only half joking with post #2.
Having raised two kids in an era when cars were much larger I can not even imagine how anybody would haul all the needed supplies around in a Twin.
Once they are older and able to get around on their own maybe but not a baby.
I wouldn't even attempt it.
DarkPira7e (08-17-2020), H_K (08-17-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 09:00 PM   #8
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,826 Times in 16,429 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Well, looks like my mod list has just changed drastically. We've got a baby on the way, due in early March.

Looking for any and all information regarding baby seats. I've read that rear-facing seats are difficult in our cars especially if there's also a passenger (which would be quite often - myself, wife, and baby will probably be travelling together a lot).

Any good first-hand experience with baby seats that still accommodate the front passenger seat as well?

How about baby seats that combine with a stroller that can fit in our trunks? We tried out a stroller that simply doesn't fit in the trunk - it doesn't fold down enough.

CONGRATULATIONS, mr & mrs H_K , what an eventful time in your life -

Yep, I've transported a few kids in sports cars, for short distances. Back in the early 1970s, we used to haul our baby, in a oblong woven basket, set on the little rear jump seat of our 1970 MGB-GT.

Later on I would sometimes haul my two granddaughters in my 2006 Miata. The younger one in the passenger footwell and the older one in the passenger seat.

More recently, I've hauled the two oldest granddaughters in the back of my FR-S.

Having had those experiences, I would strongly recommend that you get a family vehicle (sedan/SUV/van) to use for a family hauling vehicle.

Never underestimate the amount of gear that ma-ma thinks she needs to pack along for a baby/child on a road trip. -

I'm ah feared the old days of tossing the baby in the back seat along with a small diaper bag and a bottle are over.

Enjoy raising your family -
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Busybee (08-20-2020), H_K (08-17-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 09:06 PM   #9
H_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I was only half joking with post #2.
Having raised two kids in an era when cars were much larger I can not even imagine how anybody would haul all the needed supplies around in a Twin.
Once they are older and able to get around on their own maybe but not a baby.
I wouldn't even attempt it.
I can take a joke My response was meant to be dry

We're already looking at a second car but from time to time the FR-S will probably need to be used with the baby
Tcoat (08-18-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 09:07 PM   #10
H_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
CONGRATULATIONS, mr & mrs H_K , what an eventful time in your life -

Yep, I've transported a few kids in sports cars, for short distances. Back in the early 1970s, we used to haul our baby, in a oblong woven basket, set on the little rear jump seat of our 1970 MGB-GT.

Later on I would sometimes haul my two granddaughters in my 2006 Miata. The younger one in the passenger footwell and the older one in the passenger seat.

More recently, I've hauled the two oldest granddaughters in the back of my FR-S.

Having had those experiences, I would strongly recommend that you get a family vehicle (sedan/SUV/van) to use for a family hauling vehicle.

Never underestimate the amount of gear that ma-ma thinks she needs to pack along for a baby/child on a road trip. -

I'm ah feared the old days of tossing the baby in the back seat along with a small diaper bag and a bottle are over.

Enjoy raising your family -
Thank you!

A baby int he passenger foot well? Oh man! That'll get your kid taken away from you these days.
humfrz (08-17-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 09:31 PM   #11
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,826 Times in 16,429 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Thank you!

A baby int he passenger foot well? Oh man! That'll get your kid taken away from you these days.
Well, it was a short trip.

Besides, when I was a kid, we got tossed in the back of the old farm truck and told to ..... hang on -
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:42 PM   #12
pallen

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I had to sell my MR2 when the second kid came along. We had a Civic too and I rarely had to get my wife and kids somewhere, which meant I could always manage my wife or the one kid. Once there was two, it was game over.

My solution? A 300ZX 2+2.
It worked just fine until the kids hit about Jr High. In fact, they preferred riding in the Z to the Civic.
pallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 10:05 PM   #13
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
my sister-in-law is a baby seat expert... she researches seats and strollers like we research tire compounds! i'll try to have her weigh in sometime later

she uses a jeep commander for kid transport duties(she desperately wants a minivan, but they required a body-on-frame vehicle to tow a camper and minivans aren't rated for it), but after seeing the same seat in my dad's '14 f-150, it just doesn't compare. a fullsize truck has almost twice the leg room, and makes rear-facing kids seats inconsequential to use.

get a full size, 4-door pickup!
humfrz (08-17-2020), H_K (08-18-2020)
Old 08-18-2020, 03:34 AM   #14
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quote:

Congrats! Also read this.

http://www.thebabyeffect.com/2015/12...ubaru-brz.html

And this.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10911

Personally I've put my kid in a car seat on the passenger side with my wife sitting behind me on the driver side. Had to move my seat up significantly. Nobody but the kid is really comfortable, but it will work for short drives if your wife can't fit in front of a rear-facing seat. My wife also preferred sitting in the back so she could keep an eye him. I'm guessing your wife may want to do the same. It's not fun lifting a kid into the rear seats of the FR-S, but definitely doable especially if you don't need to do it regularly.

Make sure to crank your a/c on hot days. Rear-facing child seats get very little airflow and with all the padding and cushioning, they'll get hot fast. Also make sure you've got enough shade for him/her. Rest now while you can.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
humfrz (08-18-2020), H_K (08-18-2020)