follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 01-19-2014, 11:31 AM   #1
livingbreathingproof

Drives: Raven, 6-speed MT FRS.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Bald Tires At The End Of My Lease.

Hello,

I leased my FRS. I have about two and a half years left on the lease.
I bought the wear and tear coverage and I am just wondering...
If I turn the car in with bald tires, there's nothing they can complain about, is there?
livingbreathingproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:45 AM   #2
Burrcold

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,586 Times in 776 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
What did the wear and tear package/brochure say? It usually explains every item that is covered on lease return (dings, scratches, tire life, etc).
Old 01-19-2014, 11:59 AM   #3
BlueDubbinTDI

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2012 MCS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
No you're likely going to get charged for tire replacement. Mine were at about half life at only 7000 miles. Then again, the tires start at 9/32nds new I think, so I think its impossible to make it through an entire lease with the stockers. Just buy ridiculously cheap or even used tires when its time for turn in and I bet they wont even notice the brand change if they're not the same. As long as they can put it back on the lot if you don't buyout, I don't think they'll care.
BlueDubbinTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:02 PM   #4
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
There are other factors as well. If your mileage is below the contracted mileage you will get a credit. If the car is in better than average shape you will get a credit. I turned in a VW GTI lease and walked away with money because the car was way under the mileage allowance.

The real question you have to ask yourself is why drive around with bald tires? You are an accident waiting to happen on a RWD sportscar (or any car for that matter) with bald tires. Just buy some cheaper tires and be safe.

If you have ever taken a turn with bald tires on a slick surface (rain) you will know what I am talking about as your car is doing a 180 on an entrance/exit ramp.....
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:04 PM   #5
ciro

Drives: Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingbreathingproof View Post
Hello,

If I turn the car in with bald tires, there's nothing they can complain about, is there?
As long as there is no metal showing they will not charge you.
ciro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:13 PM   #6
livingbreathingproof

Drives: Raven, 6-speed MT FRS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
There are other factors as well. If your mileage is below the contracted mileage you will get a credit. If the car is in better than average shape you will get a credit. I turned in a VW GTI lease and walked away with money because the car was way under the mileage allowance.

The real question you have to ask yourself is why drive around with bald tires? You are an accident waiting to happen on a RWD sportscar (or any car for that matter) with bald tires. Just buy some cheaper tires and be safe.

If you have ever taken a turn with bald tires on a slick surface (rain) you will know what I am talking about as your car is doing a 180 on an entrance/exit ramp.....
I mainly leased this car to get me through college. Zero worries on my mind about car problems.
I am babying the car...getting 30mpg avg and keeping it in pristine condition so I, hopefully, don't have to have much money out of my pocket to buy stuff for it.
However, I have had my moments where I like to roast the tires and do other dumb stuff. But, I do my best not to do it because I'm trying to get away with not having to buy tires or anything for this car in the 2.5 more years I'll have it.
Not having to replace the tires seems possible, being as I use snow tires for a good portion of the year.
I figure the day I have to turn it in, I'll have all the fun with it I that I've wanted to have with it from the beginning.
And being as the dealership lied to me and scammed me into buying the extended maintenance package, I could give a damn less how they get their car back.
I just wanted to see if I could get in any sort of trouble for giving them bald tires.

But, I did not know you could get credit for keeping it in pristine condition. If that is true with Toyota, I'll have to look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
What did the wear and tear package/brochure say? It usually explains every item that is covered on lease return (dings, scratches, tire life, etc).
From what I was told in the office, if I buy the wear and tear, I don't have to worry about if the car needs anything at the end of the lease. He even said, "If the car needs tires, anything, you aren't responsible."
I'm just not sure how true that is -- to what extent.
Also, as said above, they've already lied to me once. So, who knows...
livingbreathingproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:27 PM   #7
Burrcold

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,586 Times in 776 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
There must be some documentation somewhere. Like any warranty, they need to provide you with the terms and conditions otherwise you just paid for nothing.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:25 PM   #8
gily25

Drives: Silica BRZ 6MT
Usually you pay to replace the tires, but I'd double check the lease terms. You can search for takeoffs in your area when the time comes (craigslist, ebay, local repair shops) or simply put on some inexpensive tires from pep boys or something.
gily25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:32 PM   #9
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Drives: Hot Lava 86
Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,386 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
My TEMA lease covers all wear and tear as far as I can remember. That means brakes, tires, even windshield wipers. Though I was told if I wore them out prematurely I'd have to pay for them. They also said it was possible to replace them earlier than necessary during the winter, but that doesn't really matter because I'm sitting on winter tires. The stock tires are sitting in the basement with about 15k on them. We'll see if they do replace them in the end, especially with this stretch of not using them.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:13 PM   #10
DrawingWaves

Drives: RS 1.0 #633
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingbreathingproof View Post
Hello,

Check what your wear & tear coverage is. I'm leasing my car but I'll end up buying after the lease runs out. However if I do decide to turn in it I have a $5k wear & tear coverage, which includes tires, windshield, scratches, dents etc.
DrawingWaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:55 PM   #11
quasi86

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S m/t Raven
The cords cannot be showing.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2014, 11:00 PM   #12
hotpanda1

Drives: 2013 scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
you have 2 and a half years left?? i would go through 4 sets of tires by then lol just throw some cheap ass tires on when you bring it back
hotpanda1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hotpanda1 For This Useful Post:
continuecrushing (01-29-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 11:04 PM   #13
Dingle049

Drives: cruze
Does this thread apply to you?

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...=tire+warranty
Dingle049 is offline   Reply With Quote