follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-20-2017, 11:52 AM   #43
DustinS

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Thanked 1,392 Times in 800 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I have actually ran into this issue a few time. It's random and nothing seems to be the same as to why it happens. Most of the time once it's "started" before it dies again I have to keep pumping the gas pedal to WOT or just hold it there for a few seconds. It stumbles around really bad and finally fires up and runs normal (as normal as my car runs). If it was repeatable, I would log it and send it in to see if they can see anything weird.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:46 AM   #44
morswestford

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Just to give everybody an update. My car was towed to a shop. I tried putting injector cleaner in it but it didn't do anything.

The shop siphoned out the remaining e85 out of my tank, they put in some gas, and it started fine the very next day. I have no clue what the exact problem is. My mechanic claims it could of been some water in the fuel system that froze. But he is not 100% certain.

Moto-East did e-mail me and i told them about my issue. I've also been in contact with Omega Fuels. Omega fuels asked me for a sample of the fuel, but unfortunately it was already siphoned out. Omega fuels said their pumps are all new. They don't have any water in their e85 winter blend. Omega fuels says it could be the flex fuel sensor or the injectors.

My mechanic inspected my injectors today and found no problem, no "gunk" or anything. Nothing wrong with my fuel system. Tomorrow i told my mechanic to take a container and get e85 from Omega fuels and put only e85 in, to see if it starts. If it doesn't start. then perhaps it's a problem with the flex fuel sensor.

Which brings up Moto-East. I did get an email form Michael on March 15th and i explained to him the situation. Moto-east just says not to use e85 in the winter period due to the cold starts. But not being able to start at all? Totally weird. Moto-east claims it could be the injectors, but i've already ruled that out.

I hope i can get to the bottom of this issue already because this experience has been a nightmare. It's either the flex fuel sensor, or something else.
morswestford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 04:31 AM   #45
banane63

Drives: BRZ Club blanc perle
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
You can easily check the voltage from your sensor : 5v is 100%, 0 is 0% ethanol. Check the 2nd O2 entry with your logging tool.

Envoyé de mon T6pro en utilisant Tapatalk
banane63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:57 PM   #46
morswestford

just to let everyone know my car eventually got working again. it's been running smoothly for the last few weeks. my mechanic had to siphon all the e85 out. it started fine the next day. i even did a complete fuel cleaning which was a waste of money. it was a complete mystery on what happened. my mechanic thinks somewhere there was something frozen in the fuel system.

i don't think thats the case. yesterday i again filled my car at Onega fuels, and guess what? today my car refused to start. my flex fuel sensor says e84. i had to hit the gas pedal ten times, it finally started.

how come everytime i fill my tank at Omega fuels, when it fills up completely on e85, the very next day my car doesn't start? It's 50 degrees outside. It should be warm enough for my car to start normally. I don't understand why i keep having problems with my flex fuel system.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:52 AM   #47
Soloside
-Phil's BIGGEST FAN BOI

Drives: 2014 Greddy Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Did you install the FF kit yourself or have motoeast do it? If you did it yourself, maybe take it to motoeast and have them look at the install?
Old 04-25-2017, 01:31 PM   #48
reeves

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soloside View Post
Did you install the FF kit yourself or have motoeast do it? If you did it yourself, maybe take it to motoeast and have them look at the install?
If you have any doubt about how to do it, just let the tuner install it. Plus, you can schedule a dyno tune at the same time, instead doing remote tunes.
reeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:15 AM   #49
morswestford

well i got an appointment with moto-east next week. They said they would replace the sensor. I still don't know why i keep having issues with the flex fuel kit but hopefully they can figure it out and fix it. it's their kit, plus it's their tune. so the problem is either the sensor or the tune.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:17 AM   #50
jasonojordan

Drives: 2013 satin white brz limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
You ever check to see if you have any water issues? Not likely being it was fuel from two different time frames but yea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morswestford View Post
just to let everyone know my car eventually got working again. it's been running smoothly for the last few weeks. my mechanic had to siphon all the e85 out. it started fine the next day. i even did a complete fuel cleaning which was a waste of money. it was a complete mystery on what happened. my mechanic thinks somewhere there was something frozen in the fuel system.

i don't think thats the case. yesterday i again filled my car at Onega fuels, and guess what? today my car refused to start. my flex fuel sensor says e84. i had to hit the gas pedal ten times, it finally started.

how come everytime i fill my tank at Omega fuels, when it fills up completely on e85, the very next day my car doesn't start? It's 50 degrees outside. It should be warm enough for my car to start normally. I don't understand why i keep having problems with my flex fuel system.
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:32 AM   #51
morswestford

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonojordan View Post
You ever check to see if you have any water issues? Not likely being it was fuel from two different time frames but yea.
yes i did. i did a complete fuel system cleaning. and inspection which was a waste of money and didn't solve anything because last week i had trouble starting when it was in the mid 50's outside. so it wasn't freezing outside where there could be water frozen somewhere in my system. so the theory of water being frozen in the system is not the case.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:46 AM   #52
jasonojordan

Drives: 2013 satin white brz limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
yes i did. i did a complete fuel system cleaning. and inspection which was a waste of money and didn't solve anything because last week i had trouble starting when it was in the mid 50's outside. so it wasn't freezing outside where there could be water frozen somewhere in my system. so the theory of water being frozen in the system is not the case.
Water does not have to be frozen to cause issues with the fuel.
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:50 PM   #53
Soloside
-Phil's BIGGEST FAN BOI

Drives: 2014 Greddy Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
well i got an appointment with moto-east next week. They said they would replace the sensor. I still don't know why i keep having issues with the flex fuel kit but hopefully they can figure it out and fix it. it's their kit, plus it's their tune. so the problem is either the sensor or the tune.
rip.

Tags
e85, engine start, flex fuel, moto east, subaru brz