follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 08-15-2015, 02:45 AM   #15
mo420

Drives: '13 Black Toyota 86 (AT)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Hopefully the dealership updated you ECU to the latest revision should be ZA1JB01C (MAN) OR ZA1JB01D (AUTO).

ECU firmware revisions up to A00x had a problem with the Transient ingnition retard settings which contributed to DI seal failure on injectors when accompanied by shifting at redline and poor quality fuel. and ECU firmware A01x or later solved the issue.
Thanks for this info. Spoke to the techs whilst I did my DI replacement earlier at Toyota about ECU updates, they told me there's no need to. They even told me its not possible to customise car's settings like DRL etc through Techstream which I is weird and most probably BS. I'll phone in again on Monday to ask for this and see how they respond.

Is there a way to check for the ECU version myself somehow? I might be able to get hold of an OBD2 scanner would that tell me the version? This car hasnt had any ECU updates since it was bought new in 2013.

Btw whilst on this matter, just curious if anyone knows what else does the B01D update improve on other than the improved injections?
mo420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 02:57 AM   #16
mo420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Although the injector may have failed for some other reason, there was nothing wrong with the seal. Zero blow-by.
Was wondering if you would care to elaborate more? I'm not fully conversed on the technicalities of the injector but I'm interested to learn. What/why do you think they failed prematurely? Is it the carbon buildup that's causing it? I am assumimg by Zero blow-by you mean no evidence of cumbustion products passing from the chamber outwards through the seal (a failed seal) am I right? Sorry for sounding like a n00b just want to make sure I avoid this from happening again

I am thinking I should run some injector cleaner every now and again to maintain cleanliness. Looking at the amount of carbon buildup on the old ones in quite scary considering my low mileage and the fact that I dont do a lot of spirited driving (hmmm maybe that's why!)
Old 08-15-2015, 03:09 AM   #17
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,513 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo420 View Post
Was wondering if you would care to elaborate more? I'm not fully conversed on the technicalities of the injector but I'm interested to learn. What/why do you think they failed prematurely? Is it the carbon buildup that's causing it? I am assumimg by Zero blow-by you mean no evidence of cumbustion products passing from the chamber outwards through the seal (a failed seal) am I right? Sorry for sounding like a n00b just want to make sure I avoid this from happening again

I am thinking I should run some injector cleaner every now and again to maintain cleanliness. Looking at the amount of carbon buildup on the old ones in quite scary considering my low mileage and the fact that I dont do a lot of spirited driving (hmmm maybe that's why!)
Not at all! The DI system is brand new to me as well. Yes, I not-so-clearly stated the seal did not fail. Got hot, sure, but that thing pokes right into the combustion chamber. it looks normal to me.

I don't think there's anything you can do or should be concerned about. We're not seeing a trend of DI failures. Perhaps it was just the luck of the draw. With any manufactured system there will always be a statistically measurable failure rate.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:08 AM   #18
mo420

Wink

Quote:
Not at all! The DI system is brand new to me as well. Yes, I not-so-clearly stated the seal did not fail. Got hot, sure, but that thing pokes right into the combustion chamber. it looks normal to me.

I don't think there's anything you can do or should be concerned about. We're not seeing a trend of DI failures. Perhaps it was just the luck of the draw. With any manufactured system there will always be a statistically measurable failure rate.
To be honest, I was initially on the illusion that my DIs failed due to the seals - like a lot of reported cases here on this forum. Now that you pointed this out, guess I'll need to find out why it failed - manufacturing defect or otherwise. I've been told a lot of the local 86s have got injectors replaced as well - probably its our fuel. Hopefully these new set of injectors will last for long or if they dont, at least before my warranty expires
The Following User Says Thank You to mo420 For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (08-15-2015)
Old 08-15-2015, 03:25 PM   #19
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
To be honest, I was initially on the illusion that my DIs failed due to the seals - like a lot of reported cases here on this forum. Now that you pointed this out, guess I'll need to find out why it failed - manufacturing defect or otherwise. I've been told a lot of the local 86s have got injectors replaced as well - probably its our fuel. Hopefully these new set of injectors will last for long or if they dont, at least before my warranty expires
I'd love to hear about it if you can squeeze out some more details.
Old 08-15-2015, 06:55 PM   #20
Fastbrew

Drives: 2014 Pearl White BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Here are my injectors pulled at 21K miles - Replaced with FIC 880s.
Ran on Chevron Supreme 92 octane for that 21K.

This is how they looked when pulled - no cleaning.

Fastbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:05 PM   #21
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastbrew View Post
Here are my injectors pulled at 21K miles - Replaced with FIC 880s.
Those are <cough> manifold injectors.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:13 PM   #22
Fastbrew

Drives: 2014 Pearl White BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Those are <cough> manifold injectors.
lol - still pretty damned clean

So - his pic is of the low pressure injectors? (blue in diagram below)
Mine are the high pressure system injectors - right? (red in diagram below)

Or do I have it bass-ackwards....

Last edited by Fastbrew; 08-15-2015 at 07:25 PM.
Fastbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fastbrew For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (08-15-2015)
Old 08-15-2015, 07:17 PM   #23
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastbrew View Post
lol - still pretty damned clean
I would hope so. If they weren't, you'd have much bigger fish to fry.

edit: Haha... yeah. the manifold injectors are the low-pressure ones. The DI injectors are the high-pressure ones. They have to be because they spray fuel into the combustion chamber at maximum compression and must be able to withstand the hostile environment inside there - just like diesel engine injectors.

Last edited by Ultramaroon; 08-15-2015 at 08:58 PM.
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:38 PM   #24
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Thanks for this info. Spoke to the techs whilst I did my DI replacement earlier at Toyota about ECU updates, they told me there's no need to. They even told me its not possible to customise car's settings like DRL etc through Techstream which I is weird and most probably BS. I'll phone in again on Monday to ask for this and see how they respond.

Is there a way to check for the ECU version myself somehow? I might be able to get hold of an OBD2 scanner would that tell me the version? This car hasnt had any ECU updates since it was bought new in 2013.

Btw whilst on this matter, just curious if anyone knows what else does the B01D update improve on other than the improved injections?
The dealers here say the same rubbish, but its probably due to the fact they dont have a specific directive from toyota\subaru to update firmware

Most obd scanners will read the ecu calibration id

for manuals in middle east region 2013 probably will have ZA1JA01J if so thats probably all you need although their is a ZA1JA02J rom out for your region if your car is 700J 900J or A00J then it definitly needs an update for the transient ignition retard this caused heaps of knock on high rpm gear changes especially on poor quality fuels.

their are no performance benifits with later roms just di seal fix and idle stability fixs

usa guys on usa93 fuel is about the best pump petrol on the planet so they dont have as much issues.

see the tactrix link below it has those rom attached at end of post, dealer wont flash those though :-)
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:35 PM   #25
hussen

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hello,
I think I have same problem (see the following video)

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AU035Pvkp0"]86 problem - YouTube[/ame]

did you solve the problem totally !?
can you advice me ?

Regards
hussen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bogging, ecu, hesitation, slow accelaration, stumble