follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 07-04-2013, 11:36 PM   #15
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesm View Post
and the most detailed review ever award goes to... that guy.
Thanks, I was doing my best to cover as much as I could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skurj View Post
Nice!

Impressive review and informative.

Thanks
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frs300 View Post
holy cow what a review...very nice
Thanks, have more to finish soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynegro View Post
I agree. Amazing post!
Thanks, appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post

Tonight I'm doing my vortech install (and probably tomorrow and longer if needed)

We'll see how I feel once its done but I think I'll be in the same boat. Happy if the car was handed to me, but already dealing with just getting things has taken the wind out of the sails
I think once you realize it is not all unicorns and butterflies it gets real pretty quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCarbine View Post
My advise is to fill your washer tank once you install it, so if/when it leaks you don't have to remove the bumper again to get access to it

Also, try to install the washer bottle as high as possible so that the pump connector on the bottom clears the plastic under-tray you have to reinstall later

I would also ditch the screws that came with the kit for bolting the intercooler bracket to the bumper support, and opt for self-tapping screws with a cutting head. Center punch where you want it to be, and drive the self tapper in with a cordless drill. Using the supplied bolts are tricky and will just make the install take longer
Intercooler bolts need to be addressed by Vortech for sure. Good advice on the tank as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FT-86 SpeedFactory View Post
Absolute great post. Glad we could be of service as well.

We're installing the Vortech on our silver car next week, maybe we can document the un-documented portions of the install and pass those along to our clients as well.
Thanks, I go to your site first for almost everything when looking. You do an excellent job, do the entire owners community a big service with minimal BS and marketing fluff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1point4 View Post
@Dezoris

Just realized how similar your car and my car are. Very nice video and information.
Yeah we nearly have a carbon copy car for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charged86 View Post
I also opted for the self tapping screws. im going to fill my washer bottle this winter. its the only time I use it.

what a wonderful video you made @Dezoris
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrogDor the Burninator View Post
This is possibly the best post I have ever seen on this forum ... Major props man ...
Thanks, some of the spite building up over lack of content here lately made me go over kill.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:46 PM   #16
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foobar View Post
Good work - question: If the Innovate kit was available when you started this project, would you have considered that over the Vortech? Based on what we know of the Innovate kit now that it's out, I think it would have saved you some of the drama. May not reach the 240WHP given current experiences, but it looks like it hits all of your other requirements.

By the way, I just realized I recognized some of the roads you were on - I used to live around Randall & Huntley Roads in the early 2000's! Thanks for the flashbacks
You are welcome for the flash backs! Not much has changed just busier more congested. Still boring.

Now on to Innovate Kit.
@Innovate Motorsports

1. I don't know of many kits that I would ever consider that were non-intercooled. I don't quite understand the logic behind releasing it this way first unless they needed to get something to market.

2. I would gladly try and test the Innovate kit to do a comparison. Considered picking it up for my next project. But to be bold I find their lack of published technical info concerning. Looks like they gave their kit to testers. Built up demand, but never posted any quality data.
I have yet to see anyone post logs, or even IAT readings.

3. Early adoption is one thing when you have a good support network. I bitch about Vortech/FA20 tuners in my area, but going Innovate would be like being the only owner in my state. The kit looks very good and honestly from what I saw documentation was superior... But I need more data before I would consider. My little post here is what I expect from vendors. Not just a "Buy me, here is a dyno thread." It was smart getting Robi on board, but he is far removed from someone who daily drives.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:10 AM   #17
JMx86

Drives: Toyota 86 Aero AT SWP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
10 out of 10 for effort in providing the detailed review. Good job, man!
JMx86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:15 AM   #18
velin86

Drives: 2013 Raven FRS 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Best review I have ever seen! Good job.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:21 AM   #19
mit_peid
Boosted Noob

Drives: '13 FRS MT KW SC, '05 4Runner 4WD
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Great review, looking forward to Part II. I really want some more power in my FRS, but not sure if I want to subject myself to this marathon of an install (nor would I necessarily trust someone to do it either)
Old 07-05-2013, 02:17 AM   #20
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Amazing job. Watched both videos and read your post. You put your money where your mouth is, that is for sure. I have to be honest. I was remotely considering getting a kit like you have done (supercharger, exhaust, tune, etc), but I am pretty sure I am staying stock now for another 12-24 months to see how these kits hold up, and what the future holds. Might just be easier to trade my car in for a factory STi (or whatever you want to call it) if it happens in the next 1-3 years.

Your review really highlighted my fears and really makes me think twice about investing all the time, energy, and money...
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:44 AM   #21
nlp187

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Holy crap. Awesome Review.
nlp187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:37 AM   #22
Fish Eagle
Platinum Member

Drives: Toyota 86 Vortech SC
Thanked 1,021 Times in 541 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Superb review - well done!!
Old 07-05-2013, 04:44 AM   #23
autogyro

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Garage
Fantastic review and thanks for the sincerity and honesty - that is the most refreshing part of it for me, is that you tell it honestly from your point of view.

Great contribution to the community.
autogyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:25 AM   #24
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Great thread. Pure honesty that's what we need.

Its obvious that going FI you wanted OEM quality and reliability which is smart. I understand choosing a supercharger over a turbo kit to retain the linear throttle response. But I don't remember any OEM ever using a centrifugal supercharger, they always use a positive displacement charger so kind of surprised by your decision to go this route.

Intercoolers were developed for OEM's originally where the compression ratio was low enough to allow 15-20 psi boost. With this high compression engine and only boosting 5-7psi, an intercooler probably is a good selling point but does it really do much? Proper tuning and an efficient <+40hp supercharger without an intercooler has a lot less complexity and issues retrofitting.

If these cars keep selling in a few years there with be a simple reliable positive displacement OEM+ like kit. For now its faster than a 944 which is fine for me. I could care less that minivans and family sedans are faster in a straight line. . Good luck and thanks for taking the time to give truthful information and reinforcing my decision to wait a few years before adding FI.

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib

Last edited by regal; 07-05-2013 at 06:37 AM.
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:00 AM   #25
charged86

Drives: whiteout gt86 2015 IS350fsport
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
I seriously thought I was watching a movie. I dont know what you do for a living but it should be just that. Do you have any inclination to come to 86 nationals
Old 07-05-2013, 08:58 AM   #26
jamesm
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
This whole review just makes me happy that I live near rev works. I just dropped the car off and picked it up finished. I wouldn't have done FI yet if I had to do the install at home. I used to enjoy that stuff, now I'm more of a 'pay someone else' kinda guy lol.
jamesm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jamesm For This Useful Post:
Pete (07-05-2013), RedAlert (07-07-2013), Sportsguy83 (07-06-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 09:14 AM   #27
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
I have roughly the same mods and I'm very happy that I didn't encounter some of then issues encountered here. The bent tube, trouble with the belt, and placing of the air box to cite some examples.

I also did my job completely unassisted in my driveway.

That said, I do agree with several of his points. The washer fluid reservoir design is a hack job and placement puts pressure on the plastic underbody piece that then forces against the bumper. I'm sure this contributes to making the bumper a pain in the ass the line back up with the fender on the driver side. The hood prop is another pain point but I avoided it with my GrimmSpeed hood struts. Being at the mercy of your tuner is a valid point as well but true even without an FI kit. I'm not sure why Perrin couldn't address the timing problem or why he didn't offer to do a remote dyno session. I use Visconti's Vortech tune without issues.

At the end of the day, I think the OP encountered a lot of issues that are representative of the worst case scenario but its great that he was able to document it so that others can see what they could expect if things don't go smoothly, but to be fair, a lot of us have done this without professional (or any) assistance or shop tools and had a smoother experience.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Foobar For This Useful Post:
F1point4 (07-05-2013), RedAlert (07-07-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 09:22 AM   #28
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foobar View Post
I have roughly the same mods and I'm very happy that I didn't encounter some of then issues encountered here. The bent tube, trouble with the belt, and placing of the air box to cite some examples.

I also did my job completely unassisted in my driveway.

That said, I do agree with several of his points. The washer fluid reservoir design is a hack job and placement puts pressure on the plastic underbody piece that then forces against the bumper. I'm sure this contributes to making the bumper a pain in the ass the line back up with the fender on the driver side. The hood prop is another pain point but I avoided it with my GrimmSpeed hood struts. Being at the mercy of your tuner is a valid point as well but true even without an FI kit. I'm not sure why Perrin couldn't address the timing problem or why he didn't offer to do a remote dyno session. I use Visconti's Vortech tune without issues.

At the end of the day, I think the OP encountered a lot of issues that are representative of the worst case scenario but its great that he was able to document it so that others can see what they could expect if things don't go smoothly, but to be fair, a lot of us have done this without professional (or any) assistance or shop tools and had a smoother experience.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
Did you have the same issue the OP had with the Vortech install instructions?
thill is offline   Reply With Quote